Brian Boyer

Registered
12 Oct 2022
Clearwater, FL, USA
Country
United-States
Best answers
Country flag
Quick revamp and I'm only 2 feet short at the oveepass... this works for me!

Attachments

• 20221125_123058.jpg
    20221125_123058.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 1

TTaannggss

Hates T.P.& r1Cur. Retired for 3 after 40 in Hosp.
29 Jan 2022
Sarnia
Best answers
Country flag
Ha Ha Ha ... :wasntme:
I am not. I got my track which was pricy. My engine and 3 box cars. I am looking for a 4th the at a good price. That is all I can pull with one motor. The other motor is weak and uninstalled. One day I might try and bring the motor from the rear of the engine to the front. That way I might be able to remove the front concrete weight I had to install. Then maybe add a 5th the boxcar. Now I am pushing it at wanting to have 4. Will I slowly expand ..yes but not like I did with ho. But all good I have sold most of my ho at a fare price.

TTaannggss

29 Jan 2022
Sarnia
Best answers
Country flag
Quick revamp and I'm only 2 feet short at the oveepass... this works for me!
Yes very nice. Is the stone picture with the 2 bridges your layout too? Looks like you are on a quiet laneway. No show times sign yet. How many feet of track do you have? Looks awesome

phils2um

Phil S
11 Sep 2015
Ann Arbor, Michigan
Country
United-States
Best answers
Country flag
The issue with track is all about cleanliness.
Jon makes a fair point. However, I suspect most track power "problems" are related to poor initial installations that lack the due diligence to assure good conductivity across rail joints and adequate power feeds. I do regularly run LGB 50050 equipped track cleaning wagons which help keep my rails clean.

Brian Boyer

Registered
12 Oct 2022
Clearwater, FL, USA
Country
United-States
Best answers
Country flag
Yes very nice. Is the stone picture with the 2 bridges your layout too? Looks like you are on a quiet laneway. No show times sign yet. How many feet of track do you have? Looks awesome
No the one with the 2 bridges is not mine. Haven't calculated total feet yet.

Brian Boyer

Registered
12 Oct 2022
Clearwater, FL, USA
Country
United-States
Best answers
Country flag
Jon makes a fair point. However, I suspect most track power "problems" are related to poor initial installations that lack the due diligence to assure good conductivity across rail joints and adequate power feeds. I do regularly run LGB 50050 equipped track cleaning wagons which help keep my rails clean.
I will be experimenting with USA Track joiners, some piko rail clamps and I plan around 20 power feeds on this rather small track plan and see what works best for me. I still plan on going battery in the long run though.

TTaannggss

29 Jan 2022
Sarnia
Best answers
Country flag
Ya well don't go through I what I went through please. I was even told to get a Swiffer... Thing is I never give up....it is not in my vocabulary. This was one of the very few exceptions. My snowplow progress is in that thread. I am about to put some pics up. It is not finished but getting there. Too bad it is not proper scale but I might just use the other out if scale box car and use that instead. I can just cut the top off and make it a gandola with a plow. But still going to finish my out of scale caboose plow.

TTaannggss

29 Jan 2022
Sarnia
Best answers
Country flag
How is your new set up Brian? I bet you got your train running on your new lay out by now. I am a week or two away from displaying my cp snow plow. Will make a utube video in Jan or Feb when we get some snow. The decals I wanted are out of stock. So I ordered stickers instead.

Brian Boyer

Registered
12 Oct 2022
Clearwater, FL, USA
Country
United-States
Best answers
Country flag
How is your new set up Brian? I bet you got your train running on your new lay out by now. I am a week or two away from displaying my cp snow plow. Will make a utube video in Jan or Feb when we get some snow. The decals I wanted are out of stock. So I ordered stickers instead.
No, life got in the way. I do have all the track I need now. Will get back to the layout soon. Looking forward to seeing your snowplow.

8 Mar 2014
San Diego
Country
Armenia
www.elmassian.com
Best answers
Country flag
Can you afford rail clamps? Those joiners will not be worth the maintenance effort, i.e. the extra cost of the clamps will more than pay for itself in reduced maintenance and above all, more time running trains, not fixing crappy rail joiners.

Greg

Reactions: 1 users

Brian Boyer

Registered
12 Oct 2022
Clearwater, FL, USA
Country
United-States
Best answers
Country flag
Can you afford rail clamps? Those joiners will not be worth the maintenance effort, i.e. the extra cost of the clamps will more than pay for itself in reduced maintenance and above all, more time running trains, not fixing crappy rail joiners.

Greg
I have been aquiring some over time. Before too much longer I'll have enough to clamp the entire layout.

JimmyB

Now retired - trains and fishing
23 Feb 2018
Weston-super-Mare
www.tumble-down-falls.co.uk
Best answers
Country flag

Greg
Even though I run "dead rail" I use clamps on nearly all my track, or Aristo-craft screwed fishplates, just need to get around to finishing off the rest of the track

dunnyrail

DOGS, Garden Railways, Steam Trains, Jive Dancing,
Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
St.Neots Cambridgeshire UK
Best answers
Country flag
Even though I run "dead rail" I use clamps on nearly all my track, or Aristo-craft screwed fishplates, just need to get around to finishing off the rest of the track
Clamps or screwed Aristo connections well worth while for dead rail as they help keep the track in place. Not unknown for rails to separate with only a fishplate due to additional pressure to the outside rail on curves.

TTaannggss

29 Jan 2022
Sarnia
Best answers
Country flag
Clamps or screwed Aristo connections well worth while for dead rail as they help keep the track in place. Not unknown for rails to separate with only a fishplate due to additional pressure to the outside rail on curves.
That is one of the reasons why I use concrete. Prevents the tracks from moving around. But it is hard on the rolling stock when there is a derail...I really should switch to a higher smoother grade but I don't get the nasty details like I used to. If I was ever to sell the track I think I could get the concrete off. I just use o( plates.

TTaannggss

29 Jan 2022
Sarnia
Best answers
Country flag
Want to make sure you got to see it. Still needs a lot of fine tuning. Head lights work. Yaaa ..anything new with your layout Brian? I have a snow plow thread for this.

Attachments

• PXL_20221217_143355375.jpg
    PXL_20221217_143355375.jpg
    389.7 KB · Views: 0

Brian Boyer

Registered
12 Oct 2022
Clearwater, FL, USA
Country
United-States
Best answers
Country flag
Want to make sure you got to see it. Still needs a lot of fine tuning. Head lights work. Yaaa ..anything new with your layout Brian? I have a snow plow thread for this.
Looking good and no, no update on layout yet. Still gathering Piko track clamps... almost have enough. Weather has been too hot to tear up yard. Was going to start today but new neighbors moving in across street has my front yard blocked up pretty good. I did aquire some more rolling stock, 2 more flat cars (6 total now) 1 tank car and one box car. Watching for crazy good deals on auction sites, been pretty lucky so far. Hopefully progress soon here. Next weekend they are calling for 32F here...in Florida!!! We'll see what happens.

TTaannggss

29 Jan 2022
Sarnia
Best answers
Country flag
It is 32f here now. You just have to dress for it and keep an eye out for ice. I got a new box car as well on ebay. So now my summer storage tunnel is at capacity.

TTaannggss

29 Jan 2022
Sarnia
Best answers
Country flag
Yes I lucked out. I got my 4 rolling stock all new at used prices. My engine was only used a few times then stored. It looked brand new including the chrome wheels when I got it. Now it doesn' t. I can give you tips on engine care if you like. Just don't learn the hard way like I had to.

TTaannggss

29 Jan 2022
Sarnia
Best answers
Country flag
Are you dreaming of a white Christmas?

Brian Boyer

Registered
12 Oct 2022
Clearwater, FL, USA
Country
United-States
Best answers
Country flag
So I have not yet laid the first piece of track and already have expanded the scope of my garden layout...lol. I have acquired a bunch more track, a few pieces of rolling stock and, I picked up a slightly used RailPro system for a great price, now I need to get some of their decoders. (About $180 each USD)

Attachments

• RPK-1.jpg
    RPK-1.jpg
    143 KB · Views: 0