Hello from Clearwater, FL, USA

TTaannggss

Hates T.P.& r1Cur. Retired for 3 after 40 in Hosp.
29 Jan 2022
Sarnia
Best answers
Country flag
Cool. So nothing in the back yard? I worked front line in a hospital for 40 years. Retired for over 2.5. ..I can say I put out a lab fire in a medium sized hospital with 10 seconds to spare according to the head of the lab who was in back of me when I put the fire out... Head of pastoral care says I saved him a lot of work. cool eh.

TTaannggss

29 Jan 2022
Sarnia
Best answers
Country flag
What did the lab tech tell his wife on their wedding night?

Brian Boyer

Registered
12 Oct 2022
Clearwater, FL, USA
Country
United-States
Best answers
Country flag
Cool. So nothing in the back yard? I worked front line in a hospital for 40 years. Retired for over 2.5. ..I can say I put out a lab fire in a medium sized hospital with 10 seconds to spare according to the head of the lab who was in back of me when I put the fire out... Head of pastoral care says I saved him a lot of work. cool eh.
Back yard has a large chicken pen in it, therefore a lot of dust and dirt, eventually I'll swing around the Eastern side of the house and into the back yard, but for now front yard it is. And good for you on putting the fire out, very cool indeed!

Brian Boyer

Registered
12 Oct 2022
Clearwater, FL, USA
Country
United-States
Best answers
Country flag
What did the lab tech tell his wife on their wedding night?
I give up, what did the lab tech tell his wife on their wedding night?

TTaannggss

29 Jan 2022
Sarnia
Best answers
Country flag
You are going to feel a little prick. ...I thought of that one. Ha ha

JimmyB

Now retired - trains and fishing
23 Feb 2018
Weston-super-Mare
www.tumble-down-falls.co.uk
Best answers
Country flag

TTaannggss

29 Jan 2022
Sarnia
Best answers
Country flag
I told that joke to a male lab tech ...he didn't like it. I told to female lab tech ..she laughed her guts out... Well I ran the train today... Leaves are a challenge but beautifull colours and. Nice ..refreshing cool autumn air to breath... The power sources to the smoker. Box is not working.... Next time I open up the engine for general maintence I will check out the connection to the smoker.

Reactions: 1 user

TTaannggss

29 Jan 2022
Sarnia
Best answers
Country flag
Good luck with your storm coming.

Brian Boyer

Registered
12 Oct 2022
Clearwater, FL, USA
Country
United-States
Best answers
Country flag
Good luck with your storm coming.
Thanks buddy, we'll get some wind and rain, we should be fine. Generator is on hot stand by though... a squirrel farts and we loose power...

TTaannggss

29 Jan 2022
Sarnia
Best answers
Country flag
Thanks buddy, we'll get some wind and rain, we should be fine. Generator is on hot stand by though... a squirrel farts and we loose power...
Yes at 62 I can say I have never been in a natural disaster. ..ya it gets a bit cold January and Feb. But you just have to dress for it and do more indoor activities.

dunnyrail

DOGS, Garden Railways, Steam Trains, Jive Dancing,
Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
St.Neots Cambridgeshire UK
Best answers
Country flag
Yes at 62 I can say I have never been in a natural disaster. ..ya it gets a bit cold January and Feb. But you just have to dress for it and do more indoor activities.
15-16 October 1987 the great storms in U.K. were certainly a natural disaster that I well remember, we lost 3 fruit trees in the garden. Thankfully neither of the 2 40ft conifers were affected that could have taken out a good bit of the garden railway and sheds. One good thing though, 2 of the fruit trees were really in the way of where the the. Garden railway was heading and the lady of the day was totally against chopping down any trees. Thankfully the storms save the railways bacon. Throughout the country many thousands possibly millions of trees were lost causing all sorts of chaos to all types of transport.

Ralphmp

Registered
6 Jan 2010
Herts
Country
England
Best answers
Country flag
15-16 October 1987 the great storms in U.K. were certainly a natural disaster that I well remember, we lost 3 fruit trees in the garden. Thankfully neither of the 2 40ft conifers were affected that could have taken out a good bit of the garden railway and sheds. One good thing though, 2 of the fruit trees were really in the way of where the the. Garden railway was heading and the lady of the day was totally against chopping down any trees. Thankfully the storms save the railways bacon. Throughout the country many thousands possibly millions of trees were lost causing all sorts of chaos to all types of transport.
Didn’t Sevenoaks lose some of the ancient oak trees that gave the place its name?

dunnyrail

DOGS, Garden Railways, Steam Trains, Jive Dancing,
Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
St.Neots Cambridgeshire UK
Best answers
Country flag
Didn’t Sevenoaks lose some of the ancient oak trees that gave the place its name?
I think you could well be correct in that assumption.

PhilP

G Scale, 7/8th's, Electronics
5 Jun 2013
Nottingham
Best answers
Country flag
A maximum gust of 115 miles per hour was recorded at Shoreham, West Sussex. Across the country it is estimated that 15 million trees were uprooted or blown down including six of the seven Oaks in Sevenoaks

PhilP

TTaannggss

29 Jan 2022
Sarnia
Best answers
Country flag
Where there is that much destruction there is usually loss of human life.

Brian Boyer

Registered
12 Oct 2022
Clearwater, FL, USA
Country
United-States
Best answers
Country flag
Track prep Sunday, found some more LGB 2' straight track for $4 a section, so I bought 10 more. Drilling and tapping holes to mate with USA Trains track. Fun times... 1st hole done about 199 to go...lol.20221113_131320.jpg

Brian Boyer

Registered
12 Oct 2022
Clearwater, FL, USA
Country
United-States
Best answers
Country flag
21 - 2' straight tracks and 12 - 8' diameter tracks all used, and one box of 10' diameter track new. Have almost all the track I need for initial track plan. Hopefully ole Saint Nick will fill the gaps... And oh yes as you can see I love my Ryobi tools.20221113_132626.jpg

8 Mar 2014
San Diego
Country
Armenia
www.elmassian.com
Best answers
Country flag
Since this thread is 5 pages, I did not go back to confirm you are track power or not.

If you are track power:

before connecting, dip the ends in CLR or other similar acidic cleaner and then rinse off.

Soak the joiners in that for a bit too.

assemble with automotive moly wheel bearing grease, to keep air out from oxidizing the metal.

Do not assemble without cleaning or greasing, or you will have issues....

And people will not feel sorry for you if you shortcut this... brass will oxidize, dirt and moisture will get in the joiners.

Greg

TTaannggss

29 Jan 2022
Sarnia
Best answers
Country flag
Good luck attempting track power Brian. I do not give up easy and there are very few things in life that I have given up on. Please keep us posted as to your progress.

Brian Boyer

Registered
12 Oct 2022
Clearwater, FL, USA
Country
United-States
Best answers
Country flag
Since this thread is 5 pages, I did not go back to confirm you are track power or not.

If you are track power:

before connecting, dip the ends in CLR or other similar acidic cleaner and then rinse off.

Soak the joiners in that for a bit too.

assemble with automotive moly wheel bearing grease, to keep air out from oxidizing the metal.

Do not assemble without cleaning or greasing, or you will have issues....

And people will not feel sorry for you if you shortcut this... brass will oxidize, dirt and moisture will get in the joiners.

Greg
Thanks for the advice! I have some CLR on hand and will give it a go. And yes I'm starting off with track power (I already have multiple power packs) I am seriously considering eventually going battery. Thanks again!