Hello from Clearwater, FL, USA

JimmyB

Now retired - trains and fishing
23 Feb 2018
Weston-super-Mare
www.tumble-down-falls.co.uk
Best answers
Country flag
Did some doodling today at work. Think this will be phase one of garden layout. Using R3 curves DC only at this time. All trains will have to be taken in at night until I feel secure leaving $1000's laying out in my front yard.

View attachment 305253
That is quite similar to my initial plan, as can be seen on my blog:

TTaannggss

Hates T.P.& r1Cur. Retired for 3 after 40 in Hosp.
29 Jan 2022
Sarnia
Best answers
Country flag
Ok watch the video then. It shows concrete ballast. I like garden plants overhanging the rails a bit. And my garage/tunnel. Note the locking closing doors at each end. It can be made of concrete as well but the trains do need some ventilation. The origional plan was to have screen ventilation at both sides but the morning sun was getting in there so loosely covered the east side. I do not want the sun fading my train.

Madman

Registered
25 Oct 2009
Pennsylvania, USA
Best answers
Country flag
52 years young, and ambitious? I was thinking it was too simple... lol
You're a child.....:rofl:.....When I was 52, I could run circles around the younger carpenters on the job.....;)

TTaannggss

29 Jan 2022
Sarnia
Best answers
Country flag
Sure no problem.

rhaetianfan

RhB (obviously) but otherwise any 'modern' locos
24 Oct 2009
Hamble
Best answers
Country flag
Welcome to the forum, Brian. We went on family vactions to Treasure Island, just down the coast from you, from 1992 - 98 and I blame H&R Trains in Pinellas Park for getting me interested enough in G Scale to start collecting and building! I'm still on their mailing list, but apart from a business trip in 2002 and another vacation with wife 2.0 in 2014 I haven't been back since.

Good to hear that you missed the worst of the recent storm. Enjoy the forum!

M

Brian Boyer

Registered
12 Oct 2022
Clearwater, FL, USA
Country
United-States
Best answers
Country flag
Welcome to the forum, Brian. We went on family vactions to Treasure Island, just down the coast from you, from 1992 - 98 and I blame H&R Trains in Pinellas Park for getting me interested enough in G Scale to start collecting and building! I'm still on their mailing list, but apart from a business trip in 2002 and another vacation with wife 2.0 in 2014 I haven't been back since.

Good to hear that you missed the worst of the recent storm. Enjoy the forum!

M
H&R is a wonderful store... even if over priced. Great group of people though. Only local source for G Scale goodies... thank goodness for online outlets...

rhaetianfan

RhB (obviously) but otherwise any 'modern' locos
24 Oct 2009
Hamble
Best answers
Country flag
H&R is a wonderful store... even if over priced. Great group of people though. Only local source for G Scale goodies... thank goodness for online outlets...
I did buy a couple of US locos from them in my early days when I was undecided on which theme I would follow, getting them to ship them home rather than try and squeeze a G scale U25-B into already full luggage! On later trips to the US (and there were many) I decided that N gauge was the way to go if I was to transport it myself! Recently I have discovered just how much stuff I acquired - US prices and quality in 'N' was so much better than the home market.

My US G scale interest faded in favour of Swiss metre gauge by about 1999, but every now and again I get the US N gauge out and run an Amtrak train or two, or a UP/SP consist reminding me of Donner Pass in the early '00s' - trips to Florida got replaced by trips to the Lake Tahoe area at that time!

M

Brian Boyer

Registered
12 Oct 2022
Clearwater, FL, USA
Country
United-States
Best answers
Country flag
I did buy a couple of US locos from them in my early days when I was undecided on which theme I would follow, getting them to ship them home rather than try and squeeze a G scale U25-B into already full luggage! On later trips to the US (and there were many) I decided that N gauge was the way to go if I was to transport it myself! Recently I have discovered just how much stuff I acquired - US prices and quality in 'N' was so much better than the home market.

My US G scale interest faded in favour of Swiss metre gauge by about 1999, but every now and again I get the US N gauge out and run an Amtrak train or two, or a UP/SP consist reminding me of Donner Pass in the early '00s' - trips to Florida got replaced by trips to the Lake Tahoe area at that time!

M
My favorite lines are UP, SP and Pennsylvania... they don't mix well realistically but eh... it's my model railway...lol. I can do what I want! I'm a real sucker for SP daylight steam and diesel. Oh and of course SF in full warbonnet glory.

TTaannggss

29 Jan 2022
Sarnia
Best answers
Country flag
I heard that they chopped down my fav tree next to Saint Pete's pier? I have been to Tampa twice and both times enjoyed that awesome tree. My fav attraction there is Bush Gardens. Are you planning battery or electric rail?

Brian Boyer

Registered
12 Oct 2022
Clearwater, FL, USA
Country
United-States
Best answers
Country flag
I heard that they chopped down my fav tree next to Saint Pete's pier? I have been to Tampa twice and both times enjoyed that awesome tree. My fav attraction there is Bush Gardens. Are you planning battery or electric rail?
Yeah I believe the tree came down for the new Pier & Park... Going to start off DC on the rails (already have the equupment) Was hoping to DCC at some point, but now after some research, considering battery... Still liking DCC the best... I think... lol

TTaannggss

29 Jan 2022
Sarnia
Best answers
Country flag
So they are building a new pier? That is quite the pier they already have unless there is something wrong with it. This is my first year with g scale. I really tried hard to make track power work. But ya know just like a loosing stock.....you know when it is time to just give up. Total p.i.a.

tedtherep

Registered
1 Apr 2021
Massachusetts, USA
Best answers
Country flag
Hi Brian, and welcome. While I don't have to worry much about theft, I do get very tired of carrying rolling stock in and out of my house. Last year I attended the National Garden Train Show in Nashville and got to tour many outdoor layouts, and discovered I was not alone in the "carry rolling stock" issue. One common solution I observed was the running of a track spur into sheds for parking whole trains. As most of the layouts were either on battery power, or in the process of converting to battery power (as I am), they used simple wood shelves with either grooves cut in them or strips of trim to park everythjing...no sense using up lots of expensive brass track just to store rolling stock. I am in the process of setting up such a storage system, but it occurs to me that it might serve to alleviate your theft concerns as well, if you can run track to a nearby back yard shed. Here are some photos. Hope this helps.
BTW, at 76, a raised track layout is vital. I too did not want to run tons of dirt and rock, so I used 4 x 4's to lift the roadbed about 30".

Attachments

• Storage 3.jpg
    Storage 3.jpg
    177.2 KB · Views: 0
  • Storage 1.jpg
    Storage 1.jpg
    322 KB · Views: 0
  • Storage 2.jpg
    Storage 2.jpg
    479.2 KB · Views: 0
Reactions: 1 users

TTaannggss

29 Jan 2022
Sarnia
Best answers
Country flag
Did some doodling today at work. Think this will be phase one of garden layout. Using R3 curves DC only at this time. All trains will have to be taken in at night until I feel secure leaving $1000's laying out in my front yard.

View attachment 305253
See it is in his front yard. Looks like an interesting build. He might need a next show time sign by the road or side walk.

Brian Boyer

Registered
12 Oct 2022
Clearwater, FL, USA
Country
United-States
Best answers
Country flag
So they are building a new pier? That is quite the pier they already have unless there is something wrong with it. This is my first year with g scale. I really tried hard to make track power work. But ya know just like a loosing stock.....you know when it is time to just give up. Total p.i.a.
New pier and new park are both open (less than a year now) Definately starting out DC rail power, like I said, already have the equipment. Where it goes from there is up for debate.

Brian Boyer

Registered
12 Oct 2022
Clearwater, FL, USA
Country
United-States
Best answers
Country flag
See it is in his front yard. Looks like an interesting build. He might need a next show time sign by the road or side walk.
Lol, that would be amusing... the sign that is. No sidewalks in my neighborhood. Never considered people might want to stop and watch... more to consider.

TTaannggss

29 Jan 2022
Sarnia
Best answers
Country flag
Lol, that would be amusing... the sign that is. No sidewalks in my neighborhood. Never considered people might want to stop and watch... more to consider.
Ya that is why I said or road. It is not like the old days where everybody in town had side walks....So Saint Pete's has 2 piers close together now? Must be a big tourist draw?

Paul M

Registered
25 Oct 2016
Royston
Best answers
Country flag
No sidewalks in my neighborhood.
That really annoyed me on the only time I'm likely to visit Florida, I had to walk in a storm drain to buy a paper in the morning. Driving 1/2 a mile seemed silly

Last edited:

miniboB

Registered
6 Mar 2020
Union Grove
Best answers
Country flag
Welcome Brian I'm from North Carolina. Really good group and very helpful with ideas. Don't do like me and be to ambitious start simple and add on. Also make curves as broad as space allows. Keep in mind the LGB sets are very forgiving on track. If you find yourself into american prototypes your track must be much less forgiving. My railway is up high and on the ground thanks to the foothill I live on the side of. There are advantages to both. Ground railway forces one to be agile. A good thing. Watching and operating at eye level is very satisfing. Much like train watching for real. By the way I'm fortunite in that my railway goes into the basement. Not so easy in FL. Take your time and enjoy.

Reactions: 1 user