beavercreek

Travel, Art, Theatre, Music, Photography, Trains
24 Oct 2009
Colchester, United Kingdom
www.facebook.com
Best answers
Country flag
Hi Richie
I contacted Steve at Back2Bay6 today but he is out of drop bottom gondola decals I see that you have done to yours what I wanted to do to mine!

Looks verrrry gooood

beavercreek

24 Oct 2009
www.facebook.com
Best answers
Country flag
daveyb said:
there really nice ,,,, and hattons selling the gondolas for 46 squids,,,

goooooood value i say,,,,,

They cdertainly are. Unfortunately the drop bottom gondola decals have all run out :(

Richie

Rio Grande Railroad , Mountain biking , Gardening
24 Oct 2009
Albrighton West Midlands
Best answers
beavercreek said:
Hi Richie
I contacted Steve at Back2Bay6 today but he is out of drop bottom gondola decals I see that you have done to yours what I wanted to do to mine!

Looks verrrry gooood

Hi Mike
Will have alook in my bits & bobs draw tomorrow to see what decals i have as the packs come with extra numbers and data etc the only bits they don't double up on is the Rio Grande lettering . Will PM you some pics and if any good can pop them in the posts .
Richie

steven large

USA G SCALES OF 30 TO 50S THEMES.ASLO KIT BASHING
15 Dec 2009
Best answers
hi mike..let u know tht i have kit like yr but it from...g scale DROVER caboose craftman kit......just won on ebay with my luck...will post u a picture ok....how it go with this kit? are they hard to make it...?

steven large

15 Dec 2009
Best answers
steven large said:
hi mike..let u know tht i have kit like yr but it from...g scale DROVER caboose craftman kit......just won on ebay with my luck...will post u a picture ok....how it go with this kit? are they hard to make it...?
there u go mike..

beavercreek

24 Oct 2009
www.facebook.com
Best answers
Country flag
Hi Steve
Well done for winning it. It certainly looks like the type of kit that I am making (well it is on hold for a while at moment). Make sure you have the bogeys and the wheels as well as all of the white metal parts. If you do not have them with the kit that you won then Hartford will do a 'short kit' which is the kit without the wood!

steven large

15 Dec 2009
Best answers
hi funsandtrains,,,,so are they rare?...do they still make them or ? what is the normal price retails for this kit from mike and me?....thks u.....

steven large

15 Dec 2009
Best answers
my god......tht kit is from them...many thks mate for paste me a link..wow..u know everything in usa stuffs..well done mate...

steven large

15 Dec 2009
Best answers
hi mike,,so i wud be happy to let me know what types of glue will do the job...

wood-------?
brass-------?
etc............?

what materails can i use for the job......thks u mike,,,,,my caboose come this week......wink......no wheels or bodgie but she knock the prices down...glad...
p.s.aslo got metal bodgies with wheels from mr.spockie.....wink,,,

pugwash

impecunious pirate
Staff member
GSC Moderator
17 Nov 2009
Luxembourg
Best answers
Country flag
beavercreek said:
There are literally nearly a hundred cast metal items, plenty of rods of varying thickness and wood that needs to be cut
The plans are superb and full scale which helps the less than perfect builder!
As you say, from the photos the instructions look clear and concise, not like a lot of self-assembly furniture I know of!
As for being the wrong time of year, the evenings are getting shorter and it tips down when light. Where's the problem? Get your corner of the shed/attic/kitchen sorted with decent lighting, a comfy chair and a table and orft you go. Obvious advantage with sheds and attics is a) less likelihood of control by domestic authorities, b) you can leave the gubbins lying around for days and of course c) you can use the smelliest glue and paint without having to blame it on flatulence :clap: it's what I do...:rofl:

beavercreek

24 Oct 2009
www.facebook.com
Best answers
Country flag
pugwash said:
As for being the wrong time of year, the evenings are getting shorter and it tips down when light. Where's the problem? Get your corner of the shed/attic/kitchen sorted with decent lighting, a comfy chair and a table and orft you go. Obvious advantage with sheds and attics is a) less likelihood of control by domestic authorities, b) you can leave the gubbins lying around for days and of course c) you can use the smelliest glue and paint without having to blame it on flatulence :clap: it's what I do...:rofl:

Yes to the strange twist in our summer weather giving a nice opportunity to model but I have a garage conversion to get on with, so modelling is a little back burner activity at the mo...But when the conversion is finished I will be snug and warm and ready to superglue myself onto any kit piece I choose! :D

pugwash

impecunious pirate
Staff member
GSC Moderator
17 Nov 2009
Luxembourg
Best answers
Country flag
Superglue? Come on, be a man and use hot-melt glue (oooh the pain, it's exquisite) :D

beavercreek

24 Oct 2009
www.facebook.com
Best answers
Country flag
Hi All
After starting this thread with a couple of shots of progress with me Hartford kit, it was really a false start as I have done nothing to it since!
In my defence I have been working on another type of kit...........converting half of the garage into a new room. Started last Friday.... will have finished all my input by this Friday as not around for the weekend (oh its Thursday tomorrow..better get a move on....plasterer is coming on Monday.
The room was destined to become something else but after clearing it out (what a load of cr*p a man collects in his garage!), installing vapour barriers, erecting the studding, adding to the ceiling joists, building the floating floor, installing the elctrics, cutting and fitting that horrible Celutex stuff :'(, I have become enamored with another possible use....a train workshop/store :D............ lovely and warm instrad of the usual cold winter days spent in the old garage...recent building regs have really increased the amount of energy efficiency.
BUT......This change of use may take some negotioation with the powers that be ..:rolleyes:

a couple of pics of progress with this 1:1 scale kit

Floating floor just crammed with vapour barriers, space blanket and Celutex

ce6ad48d659b41ec9b6b5eb752d27ced.jpg

The spaces in the wall are for two glass brick windows I will have to cut into the wall

6f66018caa2d4aa58328cdc40ae6e289.jpg

Horrible stuff to cut and fit...the 'dust' from the sawing just gets into your eyes and even a mask does not keep it all out of your lungs

3583518838d24aa5a9421d4deb370481.jpg

The best part...a nice strong sweet cuppa

1ff3ddec9bc549f5b77167c959f1c08d.jpg

Will get back to the Hartford kit soon.....hopefully in a nice warm workshop........who knows?

Richie

24 Oct 2009
Albrighton West Midlands
Best answers
WOW those Hartford box car kits do look big Mike didn't realise they were 1:1 scale :happy:
Your doing a Grande job of your garage conversion :clap:you wouldn't fancy fitting out mine for the winter ???
I think you should fit out the inside of your garage like #0505 caboose ( is that the idea with the windows) nice little stove to keep you warm ,bunk bed for those late nights modelling, paraffin lamp in the window and not fogetting the cupola on the garage roof :clap:

Richie

24 Oct 2009
Albrighton West Midlands
Best answers
How about this Mike :clap:

f8f25b5bc5254f2b88612680cf8d343d.jpg

Would love one of these :D

13205be0f42543c8bf4789e108e9791b.jpg

beavercreek

24 Oct 2009
www.facebook.com
Best answers
Country flag
Richie said:
WOW those Hartford box car kits do look big Mike didn't realise they were 1:1 scale :happy:
Your doing a Grande job of your garage conversion :clap:you wouldn't fancy fitting out mine for the winter ???
I think you should fit out the inside of your garage like #0505 caboose ( is that the idea with the windows) nice little stove to keep you warm ,bunk bed for those late nights modelling, paraffin lamp in the window and not fogetting the cupola on the garage roof :clap:

Well, now there's an idea! A complete caboose..........
The little block glass windows were a little design feature that I did nick from a caboose type design thingy...well spotted Richie!!
All the Celutex and flooring is now finished as is the electrics feeds for multiple sockets, down lighters (in twin separate banks of six), four wall downlighters and two feeds for 'special' lighting by the glass bricks. Not only is it going to be warm, it is going to have lots of choices for 'ambiance' when I am modeling (well if I get permission! :banghead:).
The floor to ceiling windows and door to replace the garage door will sort of resemble the look of an old combine door.......
In case I do not get to use the conversion for a train base, I have ordered a metal desk for the other part of the garage (the cold part! :(, that folds up with gas struts flat against the wall as well as copious storage options for all me train nic-naks.

Although I am really enjoying doing this conversion myself (the saving of money over a 'professionals' job is also a delight) I am really looking forward to getting back to train based projects. I have an open day looming and have got a ton of things to do to update since the one that you came to! A few days in Barcelona and the time will be gone................that tug of panic is beginning to show itself.......

Richie

24 Oct 2009
Albrighton West Midlands
Best answers
Hi Mike
Hope all goes well with your next open day just abit to far to traval twice in one year will look forward to all the piccies you will post of the day will you be running your SD70 heritage ?? Got to see if Wifey will let me have an open day for my Birthday :banghead:

beavercreek

24 Oct 2009
www.facebook.com
Best answers
Country flag
Although no train activity (or any progress with the Hartford kit) I have got full permission for part of the new conversion to be a sort of train workshop! Just as well seeing as I am doing the building!!!

Here are a couple more photos so far:

electrics all in and time to board up

The plasterboard goes up (and the two soon to be) caboose type windows disappear for now)

11368081a5c24a13a3384783a1446e46.jpg

all boarding up. This is the last time that I am going to board a ceiling ...at nearly sixty years old ..its a young mans job!

2a4cba9257cf4dc98b0aa8b1fcaa2a12.jpg

ae76463c2e254c208cedc556c71f62d0.jpg

day after boarding went up it is now plastered.
now to cut the windows apertures out of the brick externally, install the glass blocks and then cut out the plasterboard inside to neaten up the glass block installation

36414d4127bd4247b948748c565211cd.jpg

Hope the Hartford kit goes like this project has, five working days so far.

Richie

24 Oct 2009
Albrighton West Midlands
Best answers
LOOKING GOOD MIKE :clap: