Škoda lookalike from NQ/LGB 2-6-2

viaEstrecha

Spanish metre gauge in G scale (on the cheap)
25 Oct 2009
Bedfordshire
Country
United-Kingdom
Best answers
Country flag
The Škoda Saga Part 1/3.

Once upon a time, the forum had several accounts of tinkering with the Newquida thing, so indulge me whilst I add my own, if a decade late to the party. This loco was not supposed to happen, and at one point, it almost didn't, but an unexpected glitch with the supply of components somehow saw me add an extra Fosworks order and my other works in progress stalled briefly and so I embarked on my journey of wonder...

I had always assumed my old and evidently very well-used Newquida LGB 2080 knock-off (obtained for just a few pounds) would consume any parts I had left over from previously converted locos and retain its original radio control, and would then be ideal for my grandson to run as 'his' loco, now that he is 7 and very responsible. No matter that it was out of place on a Spanish themed railway. Then I had one of those silly late night moments of inspiration and a change of plan. It might seem daft, to put in a full conversion on such a tacky model, but I found an authentic-ish prototype, worked out how to butcher the body and reckoned I could justify it, and perhaps replace the motor and motion etc with a proper LGB one, should a donor loco ever turn up at a decent secondhand price. All I would need to do then is put in a larger battery pack and possibly even put in a smoke unit for occasional amusement.

The historical facts and fiction:

In 1942, the Ferrocarril de La Robla (FR) obtained three enormous Škoda 141T locomotives of 1924 vintage from a Portugese mining company (nos 90-92, each subtly different), but it is little known that a fourth, slightly smaller, sister loco, with wheel arrangement 131T, was also at the same time purchased by the Ferrocarril Val de Martyn (FVM). Voila, another Spanish lookalike with plausible backstory was born - with half a dozen photos from the internet to go from, I could tweak the Newquida to look similar to those Škodas, albeit slightly shorter, with a fully-faired cylinder block and one pair of driving wheels and third dome missing, all of which is a still good enough compromise for my forgiving eye. And it would be consistent with my other locos and so could use the same Fosworks Tx handsets and charger. Here's the real thing:

Ferrocarril de La Robla No 90 'Pablo Callam' Skoda 1964.jpg

And my tribute model:

[skoda_pose_pic.jpg
The journey:

The Newquida 2-6-2T was completely disassembled and all electrics bar the motor discarded. The body shell has only 4 or 5 main parts and is initially huge inside, so I could fit all the leccy bits in easily in the domes and side tanks, including allowing for a potentially larger battery pack in future, sat on a platform over the motor block. Taking a razor saw and Dremel to this body was a more relaxing proposition than the big Henschel diesel rebuild will be, later down the line, but I do need more practice before I attempt that magnum opus. The main modification was to hack about 18mm from the centre of the cab to make it shorter, which would need new plasticard overlays to the sides, with a single opening, to replace the original Krupp windows and doors. Painful - now I understand why 3D printing has become so popular. Only the forward- and rear-facing windows retained glazing.

skoda_cabside.jpg

At the front, the running plate and buffer beam arrangement required making narrower and taller, with some cosmetic detailing and Slaters embossed lettering. A homemade front cowcatcher was produced, using ABS rod and styrene profile - fiddly but essential to make the loco recognisably Škoda-like, if a touch reduced to permit garden railway use over tight curves.

skoda_front_truck.jpg

The side tanks were also made a little taller, with a sloping top at the fronts. Again, thin plasticard overlays disguised the originals, with the tank filler caps re-used. At the rear, the bunker was made much longer and small alterations were required to the shape and details, to give it that Škoda profile. I recycled by modification, most of the extra parts from the Newquida. New side steps, pipework and tanks were put under the cab, a lot of raiding of the bits box was done to represent external equipment, including rear bunker ladder and lamps and some pipework/handrails were added to compensate for ditching most of the Newquida's boiler-top detailing.

skoda_side_tank.jpg

viaEstrecha

25 Oct 2009
Bedfordshire
Country
United-Kingdom
Best answers
Country flag
The Škoda Saga Part 2/3.

skoda_bunker.jpg

The aim was to reproduce the characteristic look and feel, from the historical pictures, and so I made good use of my artist's licence where the photos were blurred. Lots of holes were filled and the evidence of butchery was eventually hidden beneath good old Halfords Satin Black, with some weathering.

To be consistent with my other bashes, I have replaced the awful blue Newquida LEDs with my standard directional white/red lighting (and forwards white only headlamp) operated via a relay managed by the ESC, and put in a 3-LED firebox flicker/glow arrangement plus cab lamp for the crew to be illuminated. That way, lighting stays on when the loco is stationary and is constant when moving. With a view to a possible larger battery in future (ie if I used an LGB motor - prescient somehow), I incorporated a buck converter to dial down the voltage to 7.0V for the lighting. I tend to calculate my LED/resistor circuits for a source of 9V and then tune the converter until I like the brightness, or lack of it.

The selected battery pack was a compromise, needing to be an 8 cell Sub-C NiMH giving enough oomph to supply the Fosworks ESC-260, FRX-22, MCS-1 and MLS Universal Steam soundcard with nominal 9.6V, plus operate the relay, yet not be too beefy to overpower the Newquida motor, which had previously been powered by a 7.2V NiCd pack (more on that later). Plenty of old threads on this forum discussed the ins and outs of this, including Dunnyrail's exploding suppressor! I copied JonD's positioning of switch and charging socket behind the smokebox door (on his LGB2080 conversion), along with the sound card IR receiver.

skoda_smokebox.jpg

I modified the original NQ headlamps, and added a GRS cast headlamp with visor. At the rear of the cab, the modified bodywork allowed me to replace the original speaker with a larger Visaton FRS5 8 ohm, albeit by cutting a huge hole in the cab rear, to give justice to a soundcard costing several times the value of the actual host loco! The rear lamps are now smaller and more subtle and the Škoda has a Bachmann fireman and LGB driver, who reflect nicely the firebox glow and flicker.

skoda_crew_trainig.jpg

Great, with chassis, body and cab interior painstakingly fettled so they at last joined up, it was outside to give it a test, after running the motor on the bench had been successful enough. Up and down straight track, it was predictably unsure but controllable at low speed. Then came the first curve, R3 as it happens. Engine stalls, makes a pop noise and even though there is no smoke unit, various blue-grey plumes emerge from assorted orifices. How could I have had a chuckle when I read that something similar happened to JonD all those years ago? That'll teach me.

Reactions: 1 user

viaEstrecha

25 Oct 2009
Bedfordshire
Country
United-Kingdom
Best answers
Country flag
The Škoda Saga Part 3.

I suppose I had half-expected something like that. The whole lot was consigned in disgrace to a shoebox, whilst I hunted for a donor LGB2080 or equivalent - no point wasting any more effort on a lousy Chinese motor and running gear which was going to do that - it did only cost less than a tenner after all. Eventually eBay came up trumps, with something used but in excellent condition. The donor was actually a later LGB 23802, the one with the clever sound and lights without DCC, though it did not come cheap. I've carefully robbed it of just the motor block, cylinder blocks, valve motion and wheels, leaving everything else untouched, and so I'll still keep an eye out for just these secondhand and hopefully one day rebuild the loco as a track powered one and sell it to help cover my costs. The Newquida being a naughty but accurate clone of an LGB model meant that my customised NQ chassis and chopped body required almost no modification to accept LGB running gear.

skoda_electronics..jpg

Thankfully fitting the LGB bits was easy and after fettling to make the trucks swing better on R1 curves, it now runs very nicely. The LGB motor is of course capable of operating at a higher voltage so I replaced the battery pack with a 10 cell 12V one with 5A fuse for a bit more oomph and will re-use that 9.6V pack on a future small-motor project.

skoda_front_left.jpg
I added some Light Railway Stores nameplates (after Dra Estrecha - Brownie point scored) and number plates and finally, agonisingly, I've ended up with a recognisably Škoda-like loco that runs around curves and hauls a few wagons:

skoda_rear_steps.jpg

So what have I got? A bonus loco sturdy enough for my grandson, arguably Spanish enough, with good quality LGB replacement underpinnings, which does look like a prototypically chunky beast. Most importantly, the grandson loves it.

skoda_front_right.jpg

Reactions: 1 user

dunnyrail

DOGS, Garden Railways, Steam Trains, Jive Dancing,
Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
St.Neots Cambridgeshire UK
Best answers
Country flag
She is more than welcome to run one of the Diagrams next time you come over, Red being a slightly smaller train most of the time to see how she manages. If like my 0-6-2 she struggles with the Mixed x ET, the train can always be split for the bank as I did last week. Be great to have a bit of Spain visiting East Germany, after all 99 6001 did visit the Bai De Somme not that ling ago.

Paul M

Registered
25 Oct 2016
Royston
Best answers
Country flag
Great modelling, a Skoda Superb in fact