Hall Class Custom Build

BakerJohn

Baker, Modeler, Flour Ambassador
3 Feb 2018
West Warwick, RI
leedshillrailroad.weebly.com
Best answers
If you are struggling with driving wheel size, why don't you build GWR 68xx Grange class instead? - near identical boiler, superstructure and wheelbase - just smaller wheels!
I actually think that Ricky's suggestion will work well. I looked into them last night and found that, though not cheap, the Piko wheels do look the part and are cheaper and lighter than cast-iron pieces. I am also going to look into 3D printed parts. I could always design something if I need to. I may even have a friend who has a 3D printer...

And, to be honest, I am going with the Hall class because I want to build the Hogwarts Express (with a few minor changes).

PhilP

G Scale, 7/8th's, Electronics
5 Jun 2013
Nottingham
Best answers
Country flag
And, to be honest, I am going with the Hall class because I want to build the Hogwarts Express (with a few minor changes).

I am sure you will be able to muggle through! :giggle:

BakerJohn

3 Feb 2018
West Warwick, RI
Best answers
I ended up buying the Bachmann loco on eBay, so once that comes in I'll have a better idea of what I am going to do with the build. However, I did figure out some more of the measurements! Now it'll be about finding the pieces I need...

I am sure you will be able to muggle through! :giggle:
Well, it'll at least give me something to do should my work close up, too.

BakerJohn

3 Feb 2018
West Warwick, RI
Best answers
So, my Bachmann loco came in and I am in the process of taking it apart. Does anyone know how to get the bottom of the gear box off of these locos? This is an original Big Hauler, battery-powered (number 90-0100-27). I took off the two screws but it's stuck about the first driver. It looks like they may have melted a plastic dowel in place, so I drilled that out very carefully, but that didn't help much. Is there something else inside that I need to work around?

BakerJohn

3 Feb 2018
West Warwick, RI
Best answers
A bit more progress on my project...
  • As I've noted elsewhere, I found the stupid hidden screw. So, I got the bottom of the loco open. I was able to remove all the wiring, the wheels, and motor.
  • I decided to build a cardboard mock-up of this loco. It's becoming more and more scratch build (and more why did i buy that loco?). I have realized that the existing boiler is too big, so I have to scratch build that, too. I have yet to determine how that will be done.
    20200331_075444.jpg
  • Since I did the mock-up I found a photo of a Hall interior. So, I sketched some plans for the interior of the cab. I ended up bending some styrene for pipes.
    20200331_075640.jpg20200331_080140.jpg
  • The mock-up also allowed me to figure out how I can cut the Bachmann chassis to become just a gearbox for my new loco. I started cutting, but I have yet to finish.
    20200331_075231.jpg
I'm probably going about this in a very odd way, but this is the first time I've done this much scratch work. I learned a lot from building Toby, and building a mock-up will definitely help me to avoid issues with this loco as I had previously. Lots of parts will need to be purchased for the Hall including cylinders and rod assemblies, gauges, wheels, chimney cap, etc. (In other words, it'll be a looong time before I finish this.)

Sean1991

Registered
1 Nov 2022
Australia
Best answers
Country flag
Hi there

Does anyone know where I can buy GWR-4900 hall class plans? I Also would like to make a Hogwarts Express, 7-1/4” scale.

Thanks everyone

The mechanic

Registered
24 Nov 2016
South Staffordshire UK and Co. Wexford Eire
Best answers
Country flag
Last edited:

dunnyrail

DOGS, Garden Railways, Steam Trains, Jive Dancing,
Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
St.Neots Cambridgeshire UK
Best answers
Country flag
Hi there

Does anyone know where I can buy GWR-4900 hall class plans? I Also would like to make a Hogwarts Express, 7-1/4” scale.

Thanks everyone
Conversation started with drawing enclosed.

Sean1991

Registered
1 Nov 2022
Australia
Best answers
Country flag
Hi,

Is this any good to you?....

Dave
Thank you for that!!

I was kind of hoping to find more information about internal parts as well if you or anyone has any suggestions,

I’m very new to this world, but I’m diving into steam

However, I’m also currently building a diesel electric (actually diesel electric) Australian national, engine also,

But steam is my dream!! Haha