Hall Class Custom Build

BakerJohn

BakerJohn

Baker, Modeler, Flour Ambassador
If you are struggling with driving wheel size, why don't you build GWR 68xx Grange class instead? - near identical boiler, superstructure and wheelbase - just smaller wheels!
I actually think that Ricky's suggestion will work well. I looked into them last night and found that, though not cheap, the Piko wheels do look the part and are cheaper and lighter than cast-iron pieces. I am also going to look into 3D printed parts. I could always design something if I need to. I may even have a friend who has a 3D printer...

And, to be honest, I am going with the Hall class because I want to build the Hogwarts Express (with a few minor changes).

PhilP

PhilP

G Scale, 7/8th's, Electronics
5 Jun 2013
Tamworth, Staffs.
And, to be honest, I am going with the Hall class because I want to build the Hogwarts Express (with a few minor changes).
I am sure you will be able to muggle through! :giggle:

BakerJohn

BakerJohn

I ended up buying the Bachmann loco on eBay, so once that comes in I'll have a better idea of what I am going to do with the build. However, I did figure out some more of the measurements! Now it'll be about finding the pieces I need...

I am sure you will be able to muggle through! :giggle:
Well, it'll at least give me something to do should my work close up, too.

BakerJohn

BakerJohn

So, my Bachmann loco came in and I am in the process of taking it apart. Does anyone know how to get the bottom of the gear box off of these locos? This is an original Big Hauler, battery-powered (number 90-0100-27). I took off the two screws but it's stuck about the first driver. It looks like they may have melted a plastic dowel in place, so I drilled that out very carefully, but that didn't help much. Is there something else inside that I need to work around?

BakerJohn

BakerJohn

A bit more progress on my project...
  • As I've noted elsewhere, I found the stupid hidden screw. So, I got the bottom of the loco open. I was able to remove all the wiring, the wheels, and motor.
  • I decided to build a cardboard mock-up of this loco. It's becoming more and more scratch build (and more why did i buy that loco?). I have realized that the existing boiler is too big, so I have to scratch build that, too. I have yet to determine how that will be done.
    20200331_075444.jpg
  • Since I did the mock-up I found a photo of a Hall interior. So, I sketched some plans for the interior of the cab. I ended up bending some styrene for pipes.
    20200331_075640.jpg 20200331_080140.jpg
  • The mock-up also allowed me to figure out how I can cut the Bachmann chassis to become just a gearbox for my new loco. I started cutting, but I have yet to finish.
    20200331_075231.jpg
I'm probably going about this in a very odd way, but this is the first time I've done this much scratch work. I learned a lot from building Toby, and building a mock-up will definitely help me to avoid issues with this loco as I had previously. Lots of parts will need to be purchased for the Hall including cylinders and rod assemblies, gauges, wheels, chimney cap, etc. (In other words, it'll be a looong time before I finish this.)