'Grass' between tracks?

Henri

refuses to grow up
6 May 2016
Hoeksche Waard - Netherlands
Best answers
Country flag
What plants can be used if you want to have tracks 'overgrown' with 'grass'? Like a real feldbahn?
I've read the topic about Baby Tears (or MYOB...) but I think that will grow out of control.

Checked Thyme but I think that's too 'high' for between tracks...? Information I can find about it says about 5cm high (2 inch).

Any ideas?

And very important, it must be rabbit proof! And yes, the proof is in the eating, but I don't want sick rabbits... (been there, done that :confused:)

Reactions: 1 user

dunnyrail

DOGS, Garden Railways, Steam Trains, Jive Dancing,
Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
St.Neots Cambridgeshire UK
Best answers
Country flag
You could try encouraging Moss. A good way is to mix some Rowlands Mix for Ballast, 3 Parts Fine Peat, 3 Parts Sharpe Sand and 1 Part Cement. Moss will be attracted in the fullness of time. Not sure of Moss is Rabbit Safe though. Can be cleaned off nicely with a Power Washer if you need to move on your Track.

Babies Tears or MYOB can run away a bit, but as it is so nice I would not find this a problem personally, but is easily controlled.
JonD

Henri

refuses to grow up
6 May 2016
Hoeksche Waard - Netherlands
Best answers
Country flag
With the cement added, does the mixture become 'solid'?
If you have a track problem, is it easy to replace tracks?
I'm using DC to start with, so I need access to the track joints to ensure their good conductivity...

But this Rowlands Mix certainly does look OK!

24 Jan 2010
Porthmadog, North Wales
www.rhoshelyg.me.uk
Best answers
Country flag
It is named after the chap who came up with it, explained here: http://www.wis.co.uk/andy/16mm/rowlandsmix.html

I have to say that I use compost rather than peat as it is cheaper and easier to buy around here.

Cement is mandatory, and it does set solid although not rock solid. So, track can be dug out but frost can get in to it too and break it up.

PhilP

G Scale, 7/8th's, Electronics
5 Jun 2013
Nottingham
Best answers
Country flag
I would think it will be quite sheltered on Henri's track.. Especially behind the Box!
Biggest problem is if the area is to dry, then moss can be a problem to establish.

minimans

Trains, Planes, Automobiles & Shooting
24 Oct 2009
San Francisco Bay Area
Best answers
All moss needs is to be kept damp and partly shaded once you get it going it will stay forever! even when it dries out and appears dead it will come back. If you plant clumps of scotch moss among the natural stuff it just gets better looking..............railway in winter 002 (Small).jpg railway in winter 027 (Small).jpg Railway march 09 011 (Small).jpg railway Nov09 005 (Small).jpg

Reactions: 2 users

PhilP

G Scale, 7/8th's, Electronics
5 Jun 2013
Nottingham
Best answers
Country flag
Your mini trees look good too.. Do you restrict the roots, or just swap them frequently?

dunnyrail

Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
Best answers
Country flag
With the cement added, does the mixture become 'solid'?
If you have a track problem, is it easy to replace tracks?
I'm using DC to start with, so I need access to the track joints to ensure their good conductivity...

But this Rowlands Mix certainly does look OK!
Yes it does, but in practice not so bad as the mix is quite weak. If you worry about it you could do 1/4/4 Mix. I found that a gentle whack (tap) with the Hammer along the Track will release it sufficiently to get the Rail Out. However get your line running and working first. Plus do not water with Tap Water as it kills off the moss, use only Rainwater. Also do not apply till you have your Railway running and wired up as changes are by inference a bit more of an issue. Why not experiment with a short length sat 3ft or so?

As minimans says you can plant lumps of Moss into the Sleepers. I get a fairly regular supply for this, it is pecked from the Roof by Birds looking for yum yums in the Moss and here lies a problem. They do the same thing wherever I plant it. Can also be a problem with Rowlands Mix, but the Cement does help to keep things in place and it soon recovers when the Mix gets wet.

Finally I have not tried much with this form of Rustification on my last or much on this layout as my line is East German Metre Gauge and my memories (circa 1981) are of fairly well looked after Track. However on my visit to the line this April I noticed that in many Shady Area's the Track was getting quite Herbatious. Perhaps I may go to some Rowlands Mix in odd places. On my near 3 Scale KM Line I can certainly afford to ring the changes in places.
JonD

Reactions: 1 user

Northsider

Modelling the Northern half of the Isle of Man
3 May 2012
Hertfordshire
Best answers
Country flag
I guess it depends how well moss grows in your garden in the first place. It thrives here, and establishes itself on the Rowlands mix quickly. The problem is how well it grows: the moss in the goods yard (just lifted) got to the point where it encroached on the railhead and made smooth running difficult.
goods yard.jpg

Reactions: 1 users

Martino

Photography, The GWR, Aviation, Travel, Cars.
24 Oct 2009
Jasper, Georgia. USA
www.facebook.com
Best answers
Country flag
I had one area where the moss grew so well, it started a damp connection between the tracks and I started to have problems with shorting!

widgep

I'm Not New any more!
31 Mar 2015
york
Best answers
Country flag
Where I have a quite deep loose ballast bed I find 'Alchemilla Mullis' self seeds in it freely and looks good. It starts off being quite slow growing and I just pull individual seedlings out when they starts to get too big. Sometimes I pull loads out but plenty of little ones are left.

GNB

Registered
6 Nov 2014
Grampian
Best answers
Alchemilla mollis or Lady's Mantle is a very attractive plant and does seed quite freely about the garden but can be a bit of a thug. Looks attractive with wet foliage.

Last edited:

Boustrophedom

Registered
27 May 2013
Best answers
I can't stop the moss growing on mine.

Reactions: 1 users

artfull dodger

Registered
12 Apr 2012
Kokomo, Indiana USA
Best answers
Country flag
Ok, for those of us in the states, what is the USA version of sharp sand and the cement part? I have easy access to peat to mix in. The roadbed of our railway has settled nice and firm, so I can do this to our line now to get that overgrown narrow gauge look and hide the big German metals a bit. Mike

David1226

Registered
24 Oct 2009
Abingdon, Oxfordshire
Country
United-States
Best answers
Country flag
Sharp sand, also known as builders' sand, refers to sand that has a gritty texture. This type of sand is often mixed with concrete for a number of different construction applications. Sharp sand can also be added to soil in order to create potting soil or to loosen clay soil. In most instances, this type of sand is made from ground quartz rocks.

David

dunnyrail

Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
Best answers
Country flag
Ok, for those of us in the states, what is the USA version of sharp sand and the cement part? I have easy access to peat to mix in. The roadbed of our railway has settled nice and firm, so I can do this to our line now to get that overgrown narrow gauge look and hide the big German metals a bit. Mike
Does Gritty Sand work for you? If so normal mix is 2 Sand, 2 Peat and 1 Cement. But 3/3/1 will work just as well. With preference you do not want to use Fine Sand that is used for Bricklaying, but it will work. Hope this helps some.
JonD