Getting started with Massoth DCC

Software Tools

Registered
18 Jan 2013
Sydney, Australia
Best answers
Country flag
A local retailer recently had a relocation sale and offered a fairly substantial discount across the board on their web site listed items. I've been wanting to get into DCC for a while so I had a look at what they had and saw some good prices on Massoth kit.

I've ended up with....

8136501Massoth DiMAX 1210Z Central Station
8131001Massoth DiMAX Receiver 2.4GHz
8175201Massoth DiMAX PC USB
8176001Massoth Decoder Serviceboard

From another retailer I acquired...

8134601Massoth DiMAX Navigator (inc Transmitter + EU)

And lastly I found this for a good price on eBay France...

8135501Massoth 1200T Power supply

As as I understand so far, this kit should set me up on control side of a DCC installation.

Right now, all I really want to do is be able to use it with the MTS equipped LGB locos/railcars I have on hand (probably about a dozen). Later I will need to replace the Dynatrol analog CC system that I have in another dozen of so older (pre-MTS) LGB locos, but right now that is not a priority... those locos have all the pre-work done for Command Control, so it will be just a matter of fitting DCC decoders in place of the Dynatrol receivers.

My initial questions are these.....

1. Am I likely to need any other DCC kit to get started?

2. Since I will only be playing to start with and don't intend to run more than two locos at once, is it OK to use an LGB 50110 transformer 20V AC outlet and a bridge rectifier to supply DC to the Massoth 1210Z Central Station? (The Massoth 1200T power supply has shipped from France but it may take a while to reach Australia.)

Attachments

• Massoth intial kit stack.jpg
    Massoth intial kit stack.jpg
    378.8 KB · Views: 1
Last edited:

dunnyrail

DOGS, Garden Railways, Steam Trains, Jive Dancing,
Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
St.Neots Cambridgeshire UK
Best answers
Country flag
A local retailer recently had a relocation sale and offered a fairly substantial discount across the board on their web site listed items. I've been wanting to get into DCC for a while so I had a look at what they had and saw some good prices on Massoth kit.

I've ended up with....

8136501Massoth DiMAX 1210Z Central Station
8131001Massoth DiMAX Receiver 2.4GHz
8175201Massoth DiMAX PC USB
8176001Massoth Decoder Serviceboard

From another retailer I acquired...

8134601Massoth DiMAX Navigator (inc Transmitter + EU)

And lastly I found this for a good price on eBay France...

8135501Massoth 1200T Power supply

As as I understand so far, this kit should set me up on control side of a DCC installation.

Right now, all I really want to do is be able to use it with the MTS equipped LGB locos/railcars I have on hand (probably about a dozen). Later I will need to replace the Dynatrol analog CC system that I have in another dozen of so older (pre-MTS) LGB locos, but right now that is not a priority... those locos have all the pre-work done for Command Control, so it will be just a matter of fitting DCC decoders in place of the Dynatrol receivers.

My initial questions are these.....

1. Am I likely to need any other DCC kit to get started?

2. Since I will only be playing to start with and don't intend to run more than two locos at once, is it OK to use an LGB 50110 transformer 20V AC outlet and a bridge rectifier to supply DC to the Massoth 1210Z Central Station? (The Massoth 1200T power supply has shipped from France but it may take a while to reach Australia.)
From what I can see with the exception of a transformer you are set to go. My recommendation would be to wait for the correct transformer. Someone may pipe in and say your suggestion is ok but I would wait.

There may be another solution to source a suitable transformer as many have been using various kinds since Massoth and others were curtailed from incorporating transformers in their products some time back now.

I wonder if there is a local forum that may give ideas for you?

stockers

Trains, aircraft, models, walking, beer, travel
24 Oct 2009
Nr. Ashford, Kent. England.
Best answers
Country flag
I agree with Dunnyrail, wait. There are all sorts of good reasons that say your suggestion will work but better safe than sorry. Your old LGB unit is probably a transformer (using coils of wire to reduce the voltage). The Massoth unit is a switched mode power unit - this chops on and off the full voltage extremely rapidly so that the base unit only appears to get a reduced a voltage.
Anyway - your ready to go. There are several members here who use and love their Massoth kit - it really is up there amongst the best. When buying new decoders, if you go for sound (I would) - get your dealer to load the correct sound files for the intended loco. Massoth is one of the few system to use actual digital recordings from the original locomotive.

idlemarvel

Neither idle nor a marvel
13 Jul 2015
Ascot
Country
Mars
Best answers
Country flag
...When buying new decoders, if you go for sound (I would) - get your dealer to load the correct sound files for the intended loco. Massoth is one of the few system to use actual digital recordings from the original locomotive.
He has the PC module so he can load his own sounds if he wishes.

PhilP

G Scale, 7/8th's, Electronics
5 Jun 2013
Nottingham
Best answers
Country flag
He has the PC module so he can load his own sounds if he wishes.
But he may need to contact Massoth for the latest software..

PhilP

idlemarvel

Neither idle nor a marvel
13 Jul 2015
Ascot
Country
Mars
Best answers
Country flag
But he may need to contact Massoth for the latest software..

PhilP
Indeed he will as they don't ship the CD any more, you have to ask them for a download link

muns

Staff member
GSC Moderator
24 Oct 2009
Southampton, U.K.
www.gardenrailoutlet.co.uk
Best answers
Country flag
Congratulations.

Firstly, the EU+ Navigator (8134601) will not communicate with the 2.4GHz receiver as they use different frequencies. You will either need to change the transmitter in the Navigator to a 2.4Ghz version (8131901) or use an older Receiver (either 8133101 or 8133001).

If you change the Transmitter you may need to upgrade the firmware in the Navigator to support 2.4GHz operation.

DONT use the LGB transformer - The latest incarnation of the 1210Z ONLY likes DC input - the LGB transformer supplies AC and you wont get the 1210Z fixed under warranty!

The 1210Z and the PC Module should have been supplied with a USB stick containing the Massoth Service Tool. If not, then send an email to hotline@massoth.de giving the serial number of the 1210Z or PC module and they should provide a link to download it.

Software Tools

Registered
18 Jan 2013
Sydney, Australia
Best answers
Country flag
Congratulations.

Firstly, the EU+ Navigator (8134601) will not communicate with the 2.4GHz receiver as they use different frequencies. You will either need to change the transmitter in the Navigator to a 2.4Ghz version (8131901) or use an older Receiver (either 8133101 or 8133001).

If you change the Transmitter you may need to upgrade the firmware in the Navigator to support 2.4GHz operation.

Ah, thanks for that.

DONT use the LGB transformer - The latest incarnation of the 1210Z ONLY likes DC input - the LGB transformer supplies AC.

A bridge-rectifier turns AC into DC! There is one inside the LGB 5A controllers.

Nowadays-bridge rectifiers come in compact packages, and cost a couple of quid.

10 Amp Bridge Rectifier.jpg

dunnyrail

DOGS, Garden Railways, Steam Trains, Jive Dancing,
Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
St.Neots Cambridgeshire UK
Best answers
Country flag
Congratulations.

DONT use the LGB transformer - The latest incarnation of the 1210Z ONLY likes DC input - the LGB transformer supplies AC and you wont get the 1210Z fixed under warranty!

The 1210Z and the PC Module should have been supplied with a USB stick containing the Massoth Service Tool. If not, then send an email to hotline@massoth.de giving the serial number of the 1210Z or PC module and they should provide a link to download it.
Will he be able to use the handset he has as a fixed wired one?

muns

Staff member
GSC Moderator
24 Oct 2009
Southampton, U.K.
www.gardenrailoutlet.co.uk
Best answers
Country flag
Ah, thanks for that.

A bridge-rectifier turns AC into DC! There is one inside the LGB 5A controllers.

Nowadays-bridge rectifiers come in compact packages, and cost a couple of quid.

View attachment 281625
For sure use one at your own risk,...don't come crying back when you kill your nice 1210Z and complain about the circa 100 eur repair bill plus shipping to and from Germany.

Gizzy

A gentleman, a scholar, and a railway modeller....
26 Oct 2009
Cambridgeshire
www.gscalecentral.net
Best answers
Country flag

LGB-Sid

Registered
19 Sep 2016
UK
Best answers
Country flag
There is a new Power Supply for Dimax part number 8135603 don't know anything about it but it says the Dimax 1200T is now discontinued so I assume going or gone out of production ?

The Shed

Citizen of the Republic of the North East.
8 Mar 2020
Darlington, County Durham.
Country
England
Best answers
Massoth Power Supplies.png

OBBherr

Registered
17 Aug 2016
Hampshire, UK
Best answers
Country flag
The other difference I note is that the new version is IP65 rated so rain and dust-proof.

LGB-Sid

Registered
19 Sep 2016
UK
Best answers
Country flag
it's about half the Price of the old one as well from the info I have found so far, thats if anybody actually has one to sell :)