G64 Troublesome Truck Conversion

Gizzy

A gentleman, a scholar, and a railway modeller....
26 Oct 2009
Cambridgeshire
www.gscalecentral.net
Best answers
Country flag
Re:G64 back to back

yb281 said:
I didn't mention earlier that this truck comes with a false coal load. Like most plastic coal loads, it's not very convincing, hence the "crushing coal" thread I started.
The legs of the plastic load were shortened slightly before the entire top surface was plastered in PVA and covered in crushed real coal. When the glue was dry, the excess was shaken off. This inivitably leaves a few bare patches which were covered with individual lumps.
I've got to say that I'm absolutely chuffed with this model as a source for standard gauge stock. It's hard to see how you could beat it for the money. :D

Like it!

It was definitely worth you wearing those dirty socks all week....

yb281

Registered
24 Oct 2009
Worcestershire
www.facebook.com
Best answers

Gizzy said:
yb281 said:
I didn't mention earlier that this truck comes with a false coal load. Like most plastic coal loads, it's not very convincing, hence the "crushing coal" thread I started.
The legs of the plastic load were shortened slightly before the entire top surface was plastered in PVA and covered in crushed real coal. When the glue was dry, the excess was shaken off. This inivitably leaves a few bare patches which were covered with individual lumps.
I've got to say that I'm absolutely chuffed with this model as a source for standard gauge stock. It's hard to see how you could beat it for the money. :D

Like it!

No mate, have a read of the thread - NONE of MY clothing was harmed for this project :clap::rofl::rofl::rofl:

3Valve

Railways; Air cooled VW's; Soul Music
24 Oct 2009
Shropshire
Best answers
Country flag

Looks the dogs wotsits with the coal load in mate. Then again it looked the dogs wotsits anyhoo.

CoggesRailway

Registered
25 Oct 2009
Best answers

coal looks awesome.... i saw a rake of those wagons and one end of the load was higher than the other and when all next to each other exactly the same it did look deciedly unrealistic. this transfer siding is going to look pretty cool!!

Gizzy

A gentleman, a scholar, and a railway modeller....
26 Oct 2009
Cambridgeshire
www.gscalecentral.net
Best answers
Country flag

yb281 said:
Gizzy said:
yb281 said:

Like it!

No mate, have a read of the thread - NONE of MY clothing was harmed for this project :clap::rofl::rofl::rofl:
I didn't like to mention the real reason in case Ali found out about her gardening gloves!

Oppps....

pugwash

impecunious pirate
Staff member
GSC Moderator
17 Nov 2009
Luxembourg
Best answers
Country flag

Come on Mel, a bloke I know said he could convert a Frankie-S to this:
c64d9b955e714b6da8a4a2168d8c996d.jpg

Shirly you can too... :clap:

yb281

Registered
24 Oct 2009
Worcestershire
www.facebook.com
Best answers

pugwash said:
images

Yes mate, no probs. I'll let you have my address so that you can send me the Frank S :clap::clap:.

pugwash

impecunious pirate
Staff member
GSC Moderator
17 Nov 2009
Luxembourg
Best answers
Country flag

If only I had not just put in two new motors and rewired mine...
But you're on! Outside frame 0-6-0 to 2-6-4 a doddle. Where are you going to source the headlamp?
N.B. my Frankie cost EUR 400 what is the conversion going to be? Roughly?

yb281

Registered
24 Oct 2009
Worcestershire
www.facebook.com
Best answers

pugwash said:
If only I had not just put in two new motors and rewired mine...
But you're on! Outside frame 0-6-0 to 2-6-4 a doddle. Where are you going to source the headlamp?
N.B. my Frankie cost EUR 400 what is the conversion going to be? Roughly?
Current exchange rate is EUR 400 to the £ I believe :confused:.

adeshers

More sense than money .. more stupidity than sense
6 Nov 2009
NW Derbyshire
Best answers

pugwash said:
images

Want one .........but don't call me Shirly :D

yb281

Registered
24 Oct 2009
Worcestershire
www.facebook.com
Best answers

Well I was finally able to pick up the standard gauge track from the West Mids GSS meeting yesterday. It's GRS and came complete with a rather nicely soldered track buffer stop.

6ced023b66e1443690f4d8702633fd16.jpg

Putting the track down next to Gooey station has really transformed the look of the WGLR. If you look at the std gauge track first, it becomes immediately apparent that the WGLR's track is narrow gauge - that's what I was after. :D

7b9d8a19521b483c87e435087fa4b0de.jpg

Having to put the interchange siding at Gooey (there wasn't room for it anywhere else) has changed the history of the WGLR. I'd always invisaged that the line ran from an interchange at Wetton, but now it's the other way round. So the revised version is that the WGLR starts from an interchange with the Cambrian somewhere near Montgomery and runs over the border into Shropshire to Wetton which is in the vicinity of Churchstoke.

10275be223584dd9b6151e7674026a4a.jpg

Ballasting will improve the look of things no end :D.

trammayo

Interested in vintage commercial vehicle, trams, t
24 Oct 2009
Co. Mayo
Country
Ireland
Best answers
Country flag

Oh yes! Like very much!

Mick

adeshers

More sense than money .. more stupidity than sense
6 Nov 2009
NW Derbyshire
Best answers

Dead jealous! :brokeheart: :clap: :clap: :rofl:

owlpool

Welsh NG in the mountains. live steam
25 Oct 2009
Brecon Beacons, South Wales
Best answers
Country flag

very effective
looking forward to seeing it ballasted

yb281

Registered
24 Oct 2009
Worcestershire
www.facebook.com
Best answers

Thanks chaps. Ballasting has been completed. I'll post some pics when it's all dried out and ready for action.

If (ha!!! Whaddaya mean, IF???? :D ) I do any more wagon conversions, I'll put the details in this thread, but to save duplication I'll put anything new on the sidings etc. on the "Today on the WGLR" thread.

musket the dog

Registered
31 Oct 2009
Leicester
nlrr.webs.com
Best answers

Looks very convincing Mel, a nice idea :)

pugwash

impecunious pirate
Staff member
GSC Moderator
17 Nov 2009
Luxembourg
Best answers
Country flag

Hmm, saw no copyright symbol, so it is almost likely to be copied. Can't think who by 8|
Good one Mel (watch out the SVR)
:D

yb281

Registered
24 Oct 2009
Worcestershire
www.facebook.com
Best answers

Stainzmeister said:
Corr, that's a big wagon mister. :D:D
Are you tempted to do a narrow/standard gauge interchange with wagon carriers for the narrow gauge Mel ?
I've seen such models on a couple of European layouts in both G scale and HO scale.
Hi Paul. Several people have suggested wagon carriers mate and it would be an ideal use for the Thomas wagons, but my idea was always for a Welshpool style interchange (ie a bloke with a shovel :rofl: ) that is a better fit for my railway.

Puggy, if you're going to nick the idea, I've got some std gauge track left ................... must be all of 4" :rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:. Story of your life eh? :D