Interested in vintage commercial vehicle, trams, t
24 Oct 2009
Co. Mayo
Country
Ireland
Best answers
Country flag
Re:G64 back to back

Looking good - and a nice exercise in precision surgery!

Mick

yb281

Registered
24 Oct 2009
Worcestershire
www.facebook.com
Best answers

Rhinochugger said:
Transporter wagons on the way ?? :clap:
Not in the plan at the mo Chuggymate, but a Welshpool style transhipment shed is a definite possibilty :clap:.

yb281

Registered
24 Oct 2009
Worcestershire
www.facebook.com
Best answers

Now here's a funny thing - if you fit the cut off axles into the ali tubing with a dob of Araldite on the end as mentioned earlier, what you have made is a working model of a shock absorber. The epoxy makes such a good seal that as you push the second axle in, the first one shoots out. If you push them both in (compressing the air trapped in the tube), when you let go they both shoot out. My how I laughed :mad:. So if you're going to copy this, make sure you drill a little air release hole about halfway along the tube :D.

Anyhoo, here's out it looks with all the bits epoxied back into place. If you were less of a bodger than me, you could probably line up and re-drill the holes to use the original screws.

4d6baf2f2c9b49b88dc9714c477a8ae3.jpg

Obviously it ain't pretty underneath, but you could cover the gap with a strip of plasticard if needs be. Sitting on it's wheels - I'd pose it on some 64mm track ............. if I had some. As you will notice I've gone for proper job 3 link couplings using Brandbright chain. The hooks are provided on the truck.

11b5469441e243468c9f1d1699499c09.jpg

Still got to do a bit of filling where the chassis frames meet the buffer beams, re-paint the iron work, some simple lettering (ex private owner wagon in BR days) and then it's out with the airbrush :clap:.

ceejaydee

Big Trains
29 Nov 2009
Far East of Bedfordshire
Best answers

That is looking very smart and certainly far removed from its 'toy' origins and at around £40 plus some ingenuity is an absolute steal.

I think I read somewhere that the buffer centres are slightly different to G3 but they can't be too far out and if you are making all your own stock then it can be what you like.

yb281

Registered
24 Oct 2009
Worcestershire
www.facebook.com
Best answers

ceejaydee said:
I think I read somewhere that the buffer centres are slightly different to G3 but they can't be too far out and if you are making all your own stock then it can be what you like.

Yes Chris that's quite right. Going on the standards as per Neil's link right at the start of the thread, the buffers are too close together by just about 1/2 inch, but as you say, this isn't really an issue unless you are going to run with existing G3 stock. Making new buffer beams wouldn't be too difficult if you were.

pugwash

impecunious pirate
Staff member
GSC Moderator
17 Nov 2009
Luxembourg
Best answers
Country flag

yb281 said:
re-paint the iron work, some simple lettering (ex private owner wagon in BR days) and then it's out with the airbrush :clap:.
Sorry Mel, it's just got to be North Staffs with a figure of 8 knot...ask the man from Chapel.

http://www.kachuzyn.fsnet.co.uk/ :bigsmile: Oops, manners, ace job :thumbup:

adeshers

More sense than money .. more stupidity than sense
6 Nov 2009
NW Derbyshire
Best answers

pugwash said:
yb281 said:
re-paint the iron work, some simple lettering (ex private owner wagon in BR days) and then it's out with the airbrush :clap:.
Sorry Mel, it's just got to be North Staffs with a figure of 8 knot...ask the man from Chapel.

http://www.kachuzyn.fsnet.co.uk/
:D
Oops, manners, ace job :clap:

:clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

Cracking job Mel. I think I know where my next wagon is coming from.

yb281

Registered
24 Oct 2009
Worcestershire
www.facebook.com
Best answers

adeshers said:
pugwash said:
yb281 said:

http://www.kachuzyn.fsnet.co.uk/
:D
Oops, manners, ace job :clap:

:clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

Cracking job Mel. I think I know where my next wagon is coming from.
Thanks chaps. Too late I'm afraid Pugsmeister, already painted in BR colours. I copied a Bachmann OO gauge wagon. Just got to take the airbrush to it in the morning :D.

railwayman198

Registered
24 Oct 2009
East London
Best answers
Country flag

Nice job Mel, looks really good.

themole

tramways
25 Oct 2009
In a burrow.
Best answers
Country flag

:clap::clap::clap: One of the best conversions I've seen. Mel first class. Alyn

yb281

Registered
24 Oct 2009
Worcestershire
www.facebook.com
Best answers

Thanks Philip and Alyn. Some people have questioned Bachmann's decision to make these models in such an odd scale, but I must admit I'm chuffed that they've accidentaly come up with something that is such a cheap way of getting standard gauge stock for my railway. I'll deffinitely be doing more of these conversions. :D

As touched on earlier, it was very tempting to go for a really colour full private owner colour scheme, but the WGLR usually runs post war, so a boring, grotty BR version seemed to be more appropriate. I hand painted the data panels, max load, serial number (P designating an ex private owner wagon), tare weight and white diagonal brace at the door end. Does anyone know what the little panel at the bottom of the side doors is for? (black panel with 2 diagonal white lines).

Anyway, here it is following a session with the weathering airbrush.

e73b625dcb504ace9a61f5ae659efaf2.jpg

22f1bb3aa0f64b69a040ec467e0a29b7.jpg

Gizzy

A gentleman, a scholar, and a railway modeller....
26 Oct 2009
Cambridgeshire
www.gscalecentral.net
Best answers
Country flag

Nicely done Mel....

yb281

Registered
24 Oct 2009
Worcestershire
www.facebook.com
Best answers

Gizzy said:
Nicely done Mel....
Cheers mate. Re. the question about the little data panel - according to Peter it designates that the wagon has a floor mounted unloading hatch.

Tony

Model railways
28 Feb 2010
East coast Essex
www.facebook.com
Best answers

Nice work Mel
This site might be of help to anyone painting or detailing its a wealth of railway images and somewhat of a bible to me
scrol down the are several pages on open wagons

http://gallery6801.fotopic.net/

Tony

yb281

Registered
24 Oct 2009
Worcestershire
www.facebook.com
Best answers

Nice one Tony, many thanks. That site will come in very handy for future conversions and has been bookmarked :clap:.

3Valve

Railways; Air cooled VW's; Soul Music
24 Oct 2009
Shropshire
Best answers
Country flag

Another nice conversion Mel. :clap:

Now then, are the Thomas tankers of a similar proportions for a standard gauge conversion?

You gotta stop filling my head with all these ideas mate, I've got enough projects to finish.

yb281

Registered
24 Oct 2009
Worcestershire
www.facebook.com
Best answers

3Valve said:
Another nice conversion Mel. :clap:

Now then, are the Thomas tankers of a similar proportions for a standard gauge conversion?

You gotta stop filling my head with all these ideas mate, I've got enough projects to finish.
Don't know about the tanker mate, but a trip to Steve's with the tape measure is on the cards :D.

Know what you mean about future projects. That link that Tony posted has resulted in a veeeerrrry long list. Just how many wagons can I fit onto an 8' siding?????????????? :D:D

3Valve

Railways; Air cooled VW's; Soul Music
24 Oct 2009
Shropshire
Best answers
Country flag

I was thinking back to that conversasion we had about never having seen a narrow gauge milk tanker.

Now if the Thomas tanker can be converted to standard gauge as per your wagon, and I scratch build a transporter wagon as per Adrian (Adesher)'s thread, then Robert is your mother's brother as it were. :clap:

I've just started my Otto - Mallet bash though so it may be a while yet.

yb281

Registered
24 Oct 2009
Worcestershire
www.facebook.com
Best answers

What I've got in mind (as well as a couple more mineral wagons) is a long wheelbase van using the coach chassis ;).

yb281

Registered
24 Oct 2009
Worcestershire
www.facebook.com
Best answers

I didn't mention earlier that this truck comes with a false coal load. Like most plastic coal loads, it's not very convincing, hence the "crushing coal" thread I started.

The result is;

b0947b9c7b8d49559a3f6fa9a71bbdbe.jpg

The legs of the plastic load were shortened slightly before the entire top surface was plastered in PVA and covered in crushed real coal. When the glue was dry, the excess was shaken off. This inivitably leaves a few bare patches which were covered with individual lumps.

I've got to say that I'm absolutely chuffed with this model as a source for standard gauge stock. It's hard to see how you could beat it for the money. :D