yb281

Registered
24 Oct 2009
Worcestershire
www.facebook.com
Best answers
J2s said:
You puttin brake riggin on it bud?

And I lost the safety thing at the end ov the tank ;)

Oh yus. Cheers mate. :clap::clap:

whatlep

Registered
24 Oct 2009
Worcestershire
www.facebook.com
Best answers
Mel
This may be helpful: 'Petroleum Rail Tanks of Britain'[/b] ISBN 978-0-905878-09-6, published in 2009 by Tourret Publishing

stockers

Trains, aircraft, models, walking, beer, travel
24 Oct 2009
Nr. Ashford, Kent. England.
Best answers
Country flag
Nice bit of work there J2s

yb281

Registered
24 Oct 2009
Worcestershire
www.facebook.com
Best answers
It's been a while since I built any gauge 3 stock, but I have managed to acquire some really excellent reference books and have spent hours looking at all sorts of weird and wonderful items of standard gauge rolling stock that I fancy building. However, the one thing that becomes obvious from looking at endless photos of 1950's / 60's goods yards - there is one wagon that is found pretty much EVERYWHERE during this period, the BR standard 16 ton all steel mineral wagon. Tempting as some of the weird and wonderful stuff was, I simply HAD to have a 16 tonner in the interchange sidings at Gooey.

Then, last week, Gareth very kindly donated a Bachmann Thomas milk tanker that he couldn't find a use for. I had a couple of ideas for using this, but on taking it apart, I found that it was based on a standard Thomas wagon chassis. The tank was put to one side for another day, but the chassis was just crying out for the 16 tonner body that I REALLY needed.

ca93b1e3fc7c40c8966ff00aec4e6592.jpg

yb281

Registered
24 Oct 2009
Worcestershire
www.facebook.com
Best answers
It was at this time that I realised that I didn't have anywhere near enough plasticard in stock and the wife had the car all day, so I couldn't go out and get any. What I did had was a sheet of Daler mounting card (the stuff sold for mounting photos etc.). Several of my narrow gauge wagon bodies have been built from this card. It's absolutely lovely stuff to work with, nice to cut and glues together strongly with PVA. Obviously it's not totally weather proof, but I am too much of a whimp to ever run in pouring rain and a couple of good coats of paint will at least make it shower proof. You could make it totally weatherproof by coating it in Shellac (now sold as Knotting), but I don't bother. Like I said, I already have stock with card bodies and / or roofs and these have lasted for years.

Most open wagons have a very simple construction, but the 16 tonner is an exception to the rule. Some parts of it are incredibly complicated, notably the end with the door in it and the side doors. I've studied photos of these wagons for hours, but it's only since starting this build that I've got a handle on why they were designed this way and how they worked. The door end alone took a whole afternoon (about 4 hours) to build.

248cc5ee2e6f4857b739a90ac9addcdd.jpg

The finished wagon is NOT a scale model. It has been built to fit the Thomas chassis and to match my existing Thomas based stock. As long as it looks about right, then I'm happy ............ and I'm happy with this.

2cf9ca37319e453c815eb89ddd68b87d.jpg

Here it is posed on the chassis which has yet to be converted to gauge 3.

5e149f11b9aa4559acdb900629113672.jpg

Painting comes next and then my favourite bit. These wagons were seldom immaculate unless they'd just been rolled out of the wagon works. They had a hard life and their normal condition reflects that fact. That means plenty of coal dust and loads of rust. My normal method for rusting entails giving the body a bit of a soaking, so that will be fun won't it? :D:D

bobg

Registered
3 May 2010
Middle Earth
Best answers
Thanks Mel, for the shellac idea. It hadn't occured, and may well be a solution (pun) to a problem.

With regards the 16tonner . . . . . . . . How are you going to make all those bulges and dents in the panels??? I've never seen a straight one in use. :D:D:D

yb281

Registered
24 Oct 2009
Worcestershire
www.facebook.com
Best answers
bobg said:
With regards the 16tonner . . . . . . . . How are you going to make all those bulges and dents in the panels??? I've never seen a straight one in use. :D:D:D
Well Bob, if the rusting process does result in any distortion ............. I'll say it was all in the plan. :clap::clap:

ceejaydee

Big Trains
29 Nov 2009
Far East of Bedfordshire
Best answers
For what initially looks like a simple box the 16T mineral is quite a complex fabrication.
It is an iconic wagon and well worth the effort by the look of your results.

hornbeam

Registered
26 Oct 2009
Best answers
Looking good as always.

im glad i'm not alone with the gauge 3 bug! ( he says selling stuff to get mote gauge 3!)

I know Mike williams is bringing out some cheap chassis for things like this and the tanker- as you may know. Im looking forward to seeing the bachmann gauge 3 brake van when it comes out.

hornbeam

Registered
26 Oct 2009
Best answers
now that looks very good indeed!

oldoak

Registered
25 Oct 2009
Dorset & Canberra
Best answers
yb281 said:
Cheers Chris and Si.

Rolled out ...........

images

That looks great, probably one of my favourite wagons the only problem is you now need about 100 more to make it authentic !!!!!!

pugwash

impecunious pirate
Staff member
GSC Moderator
17 Nov 2009
Luxembourg
Best answers
Country flag
I'm flabbergasted as usual, the bloke hasn't got the car so he casually knocks up another show stopper. Amazing. Keep it up - as oldoak says you need a rake. I remember seeing loads of them in the Peak District on my walks. :clap:

Gizzy

A gentleman, a scholar, and a railway modeller....
26 Oct 2009
Cambridgeshire
www.gscalecentral.net
Best answers
Country flag
Good one Mel....

Dtsteam

G Scale, Travel, Steam Boats, Mechanical Music
24 Oct 2009
Preston
Best answers
Country flag
Nah, just the one will do nicely - that one !
Well done Mel, that's a really neat piece of card modelling.

Doug

Live Steam, scratch building
24 Oct 2009
West Herts
Best answers
Country flag
Just need distressing a bit ...
b0065cc0da1a4fd3a360443792f37ecb.jpg

oldoak

Registered
25 Oct 2009
Dorset & Canberra
Best answers
Interesting comments about distressing. My memory is of them looking in pretty good shape, mainly in the Paddington area ie for the Main Line Bunkering & for the local coal merchants.

I know it sound odd given the load, but that?s the memory. But I know it will look good which ever way u do it.

But moving on can we now expect to see a tipper coming on?

mike

Master at annoying..
Staff member
GSC Moderator
24 Oct 2009
Rossendale
www.gscalecentral.net
Best answers
Country flag
looks great mell, :clap:

yb281

Registered
24 Oct 2009
Worcestershire
www.facebook.com
Best answers
oldoak said:
But moving on can we now expect to see a tipper coming on?
'Fraid not Martin. Bear in mind that I'm modelling a fairly sleepy branchline on the Welsh border (an extension to the Cambrian Kerry branch). My coal siding has room for two wagons comfortably, three at a push. As I said earlier, I built the 16 tonner because they are seen in pretty much EVERY photo of 50's / 60's goods yards, but my railway wouldn't have any such exotic facilities.

yb281

Registered
24 Oct 2009
Worcestershire
www.facebook.com
Best answers
Wagon now pretty much finished. Yesterday I did all the rusting using my old faithful Modeltown rust dust. As I touched on earlier, turning this to rust involves giving the model a bit of a soaking, first with vinegar and then with water. This sounds a bit of a dodgy thing to do with a cardboard model, but it did have a good coat of paint by then and suffered no ill effects - proof that the finished model would be OK if caught out in a shower.

9128dad98ecb40b6bef08287a5f57970.jpg

a565cb44bc5c45ef9f3e05d2132876d1.jpg

Some of the heavy internal rusting - unfortunately the colours have come out a little "dead" compared to reality.

03866da5266f4178b92a26faafa1f5b4.jpg

Just got a couple of jobs to do to finish off like dry-brushing a little white back on to the ends of the brake levers and adding some grease effect to the buffer faces.