G64 Troublesome Truck Conversion

yb281

Registered
24 Oct 2009
Worcestershire
www.facebook.com
Best answers
Started another project today. I'm really fond of my LGB black pudding (BP) tanker which Paul (minimans) very kindly helped me to buy from the US some years ago. The only thing is, it's a bit big compared to the sort of rolling stock that I now run on the WGLR. BUT, putting it next to my gauge 3 wagons it looked quite at home, so I've come up with the idea of re-gauging it to G3.

A couple of months ago Bram gave me a pair of axles taken off a Bachmann Emily coach which I've re-gauged (just waiting for the epoxy to set) and I've taken the tanker apart. I'm not 100% certain that it's going to work and I'll have to source some std gauge buffers, but I'll be posting more soon.

yb281

Registered
24 Oct 2009
Worcestershire
www.facebook.com
Best answers
So, all I've done is remove the LGB wheel carrying trucks and drill out what would normally be the dummy axleboxes. The re-gauged Bachmann wheels fit a treat. I'll have to fit some suitable bearings eventually, but it runs OK as it is - certainly should be good enough for the occasional shunt into the sidings that'll be about as much running as it'll get on my railway.

b385b5679e21415a92b4286d649e4371.jpg

Sorry about the rubbish indoor photos.

c5c4567e72bb45b0b4e7e91d4df6ab43.jpg

Next job will be to replace the buffer beams with new ones fitted with std gauge buffers.

I'm not pretending for one minute that this is an accurate model for my time scale etc., but when you think that a similar tank wagon kit would cost around £140, it's something to tinker with. :D

Maybe an idea for a transporter wagon load too, if anyone's thinking along those lines? ;)

mike

Master at annoying..
Staff member
GSC Moderator
24 Oct 2009
Rossendale
www.gscalecentral.net
Best answers
Country flag
nicely done,mell, it looks right, which is often the hardest bit to get right!:clap:

DoctorM

Interests: Manifold
2 Jan 2011
SE London
Best answers
Country flag
Once you get the new buffer beams on (and get rid of that brake standard) it will really look the part. Well done!

Martino

Photography, The GWR, Aviation, Travel, Cars.
24 Oct 2009
Jasper, Georgia. USA
www.facebook.com
Best answers
Country flag
Good move. I agree with Doctor M, get rid of the brake standard and put new beams on. I'd also get rid of the end platforms and the cage on top and the it would really look like a British standard gauge tank.

Neil Robinson

Registered
24 Oct 2009
N W Leicestershire
Best answers
Country flag
yb281 said:
I'll have to fit some suitable bearings eventually, but it runs OK as it is - certainly should be good enough for the occasional shunt into the sidings that'll be about as much running as it'll get on my railway.
Another impressive piece of work Mel. :D
Regarding bearings, is the plastic of the "dummy" axleboxes now in use the same as that of the original pivoting axle cradle? If so I doubt the need for an improved bearing material.

jameshilton

Registered
22 Nov 2010
Near Llangollen, United Kingdom
ejklr.blogspot.com
Best answers
Country flag
Mel - I've got a BIG LGB 'standard gauge' open wagon arriving (hopefully today) as a load for my Roll-wagen. I too planned to remove the LGB axle mountings and find a replacement wheelset - good to hear it's possible What diameter are those wheels? Can you source something similar from GRS does anyone know?

PaulRhB

This Way Up
24 Oct 2009
Wilts Drifting toward the RhB,plate tectonics rock
Best answers
Country flag
Mel it does look good already and I agree if you remove the end handrails and handrails on top, just leave the platform around the filler, it's very close to some UK std gauge wagons, especially chemical tanks.

hornbeam

Registered
26 Oct 2009
Best answers
James

If the wagon has LGB plastic wheels you could re gauge them by buying a bit of steel and make new axels. The GRS wheels are a lot bigger and I doubt they would fit but are 42mm dia.

Mel looks good I'd use either Brandbright buffers or Williams ones :) maybe replace the ladder with a brass one. Also could add tank supports at each end but it's your railway

Si

yb281

Registered
24 Oct 2009
Worcestershire
www.facebook.com
Best answers
jameshilton said:
Mel - I've got a BIG LGB 'standard gauge' open wagon arriving (hopefully today) as a load for my Roll-wagen. I too planned to remove the LGB axle mountings and find a replacement wheelset - good to hear it's possible What diameter are those wheels? Can you source something similar from GRS does anyone know?
James, GRS are showing 42mm dia. spoked wheels on their site, but that's about 3mm bigger than mine. They do some 37mm coach wheels, but they're solid (as are mine BTW). Depends on how much of a compromise you're willing to make. I don't think re-gauged LGB wheels would look right Si?

Neil, that's a good tip re. the bearings, or rather, lack of them. Many thanks. :clap:

As for the other suggestions, yes thanks guys. As I said above, this is very much a tinkering project and I'm sure the tanker's appearance will change as the months go on. :D

hornbeam

Registered
26 Oct 2009
Best answers
U could be right about the wheels but not sure if bigger ones will clear the floor. Btw will watch closely as I'd like a tanker in the fleet but not at £140! I do have a spare lgb tank but may do as you have and use a chassis too.

yb281

Registered
24 Oct 2009
Worcestershire
www.facebook.com
Best answers
So, in the search for a set of buffers for the black pudding project, I bought a set of sprung buffers off Matt. They turned up this morning and they're absolutely superb - so good in fact that I decided to fit them to my brakevan in place of it's previous Thomas stock buffers. The old ones were taken off with a razor saw and holes drilled to take the sprung ones. The sawing caused a little bit of damage to the paint, but this will easily be put right. Seems a shame to paint em though? :D

b5edd1cc383e42b89fc472305ce436ef.jpg

The old Thomas buffers were re-cycled and fitted to the tanker. As you can see, it's had a replacement buffer beam and a Cambrian coupling hook (well impressed with this, might use them on all my SG stock) with one of my home made instantor couplings. The buffer beams look a bit odd as the chassis is actually quite narrow - notice how the springs are attached level with the frames rather than inside of them as per usual. According to the photos posted recently on James' transporter wagon thread, this is prototypical.

66826fd69800416eaad1e1b14f2485b5.jpg

I'm now at the stage where the tanker could easily be put back to narrow gauge spec if I wanted to, but I'm really pleased with the way it's looking in standard gauge guise, so I think I'll go ahead and start giving it a more British look.

yb281

Registered
24 Oct 2009
Worcestershire
www.facebook.com
Best answers

Gizzy

A gentleman, a scholar, and a railway modeller....
26 Oct 2009
Cambridgeshire
www.gscalecentral.net
Best answers
Country flag
And maybe this photo as well....

1d8f0e6eddfc42c3addd16ea5f8ef4df.jpg

yb281

Registered
24 Oct 2009
Worcestershire
www.facebook.com
Best answers
So using the info in Gizzy's excellent link, I've started doing a bit more on the standard gauge pudding. One thing I can't see on any photos of British oil tankers (or the previously mentioned link) is the fitting at the end of the tank. This looks to me like the over-pressure burst disc as fitted to LPG tanks?

6d79c1009f5f4838a40fface18f11068.jpg

What do you reckon? Whip it off, or leave it?

yb281

Registered
24 Oct 2009
Worcestershire
www.facebook.com
Best answers
PaulRhB said:
Some wagons do some don't, I can only recall seeing it on LPG and other pressurised gas tanks not on oil tanks. Depends what you're thinking of carrying Mel ;)
Oil Paul, it will be retaining it's BP colour scheme.

Re. your second pic, yes that is one of the options to come from Giz's link. Depends on which time period I plump for.