G scale Emily loco to Stirling Single - again.

8 Mar 2014
San Diego
Country
Armenia
www.elmassian.com
Best answers
Country flag
Ahh, substitute dremel power tool for file.... ;)

I think spares are available... do you get Bachmann spare parts there locally?

Another possibility is getting another flanged wheel and modifying things so all the wheelsets have more lateral motion to get through curves.

Greg

Reactions: 1 user

PhilP

G Scale, 7/8th's, Electronics
5 Jun 2013
Nottingham
Best answers
Country flag
I was going to suggest there could well-be a problem on curves with a flanges on the centre wheelset..

Would shimming-down the centre axle possibly cause problems with uneven track? - There is little (no?) suspension on these, I believe. :think:

Chris Vernell

Tortoise
24 Oct 2009
Nepean, ON
Country
Canada
Best answers
Country flag
I would note that the centre wheels on Emily's tender and coaches are completely off the rails on R2 curves, let alone R1s. It might cause problems if you replace them with a larger diameter wheel as they slide off the railhead and back on again

KeithT

Hillwalking, chickens and - err - garden railways.
24 Oct 2009
Nr Manchester
Best answers
Country flag
Sorry about the delay in responding I have been decidely under the weather the last few days. A massive chest cold came back at me with a vengeance after I thought I had got rid of it.
Thanks for the ideas, initially I will try to shim the centre axle down it looks the easiest and should be effective. Looking at the coach it would be a pointless luxury, my track is at ground level, they are disc wheels and all but hidden from view by the spring and axle box assembly.

Good news! The only remaining cast motion for a Stirling Single anywhere, quite probably, is now in my sticky mitts and it is superb!
It even came in a custom fitted box with detailed, understandable instructions!
I had high expectations but it has exceeded them. It does not look like a casting but more like machined.
One other kit item this time from Smallbrook, the smokebox door, needs some modifying and I am searching a few other items including GNR dk green paint for the tender.
Sprung buffers. I spent forever poring over the wide range of options at Walsall Engineering but looking at the moulded ones on the loco they actually look better than I expected. Still, I will know they are there.
One thing which held me back was whether to order the Gauge 1 or 3 buffers. Someone who did this before me opted for Gauge 3 so I have gone for those. If they don’t look right they can grace a wagon!
Hefty thanks to Greg for his efforts in making it possible to secure the cast motion.:hi:

Last edited:

KeithT

24 Oct 2009
Nr Manchester
Best answers
Country flag
I almost forgot to add my continuing beef about gross overcharging by Royal Mail for presenting the tiny package to Customs.
It is a few years since I had anything from the USA, my son used to bring stuff back for me on his visits but he no longer lives there.
RM charge £8 to pick the package out, chuck it into another bin, take it and many others a few yards across the warehouse floor and a little time later collect another bin. It has not been opened so there is no additional labour cost. Several times this has happened, on those occasions they had the fraudulent nerve to claim for opening and repacking which was a lie. This time they have left that off the notice.
RM will not deliver until the fee is paid.
DHL on the other hand used to charge just £2.50 for the same service AND they delivered first and invoiced afterwards.
Grrrrr.

Rhinochugger

Retired Oik
27 Oct 2009
North West Norfolk
Best answers
Country flag
I almost forgot to add my continuing beef about gross overcharging by Royal Mail for presenting the tiny package to Customs.
It is a few years since I had anything from the USA, my son used to bring stuff back for me on his visits but he no longer lives there.
RM charge £8 to pick the package out, chuck it into another bin, take it and many others a few yards across the warehouse floor and a little time later collect another bin. It has not been opened so there is no additional labour cost. Several times this has happened, on those occasions they had the fraudulent nerve to claim for opening and repacking which was a lie. This time they have left that off the notice.
RM will not deliver until the fee is paid.
DHL on the other hand used to charge just £2.50 for the same service AND they delivered first and invoiced afterwards.
Grrrrr.
I think the £8 is just for handling the customs charge - not for handling the package.

I'm not exactly certain how it works, but if you can get it shipped by a company that will take it through the whole process to you door, then Royal Mail / Parcelfarce don't get a look in and it can be much cheaper, the only drawback being when the US shipper uses UPS, who are probably very fine and reputable in the good ole' USofA but are total s*** over here :banghead: However, if it's just posted across the pond, it seems to go to Royal Mail / Parcelfarce by default - and when someone has a monopoly ...............

Oops, we're back to board games again >:)>:)>:)>:)

PhilP

G Scale, 7/8th's, Electronics
5 Jun 2013
Nottingham
Best answers
Country flag
I get electronic components from the US..
Fedex is used by the Supplier, and I never 'see' a Customs form/charge.. All dealt with by the Supplier/Fedex, excellent!

Reactions: 1 users

KeithT

24 Oct 2009
Nr Manchester
Best answers
Country flag
I would note that the centre wheels on Emily's tender and coaches are completely off the rails on R2 curves, let alone R1s. It might cause problems if you replace them with a larger diameter wheel as they slide off the railhead and back on again
I have quite large radii curves mostly flexitrak. It is level but after 10yrs+ on decking board laid at GL there are increasing areas needing maintenance. An Accucraft Caledonia runs around OK still.
The proof of the pudding will out I suppose meanwhile, the rubber band will give an impression of scale movement until I try shimming.
Nil carborundum.

KeithT

24 Oct 2009
Nr Manchester
Best answers
Country flag
I think the £8 is just for handling the customs charge - not for handling the package.

I'm not exactly certain how it works, but if you can get it shipped by a company that will take it through the whole process to you door, then Royal Mail / Parcelfarce don't get a look in and it can be much cheaper, the only drawback being when the US shipper uses UPS, who are probably very fine and reputable in the good ole' USofA but are total s*** over here :banghead: However, if it's just posted across the pond, it seems to go to Royal Mail / Parcelfarce by default - and when someone has a monopoly ...............

Oops, we're back to board games again >:)>:)>:)>:)

I see, at one time the docket separated out the two charges. It always seemed a lottery who might end up delivering at this end and yes the tracking stopped dead once it arrived here. Japanese tracking was almost overwhelming it appeared that every step out or into a facility had double checks timed in seconds. On a map you could virtually track it realtime, like a Swiss train!
Parcel Farce tracking only works when it has been delivered. :devil::devil::devil::devil::devil:

KeithT

24 Oct 2009
Nr Manchester
Best answers
Country flag
I was going to suggest there could well-be a problem on curves with a flanges on the centre wheelset..

Would shimming-down the centre axle possibly cause problems with uneven track? - There is little (no?) suspension on these, I believe. :think:
Yes they are rigid.

KeithT

24 Oct 2009
Nr Manchester
Best answers
Country flag
Greg, great ideas although for No1 I am afraid I have no engineering skills, or suitable equipment and it would be expensive to farm it out for what I hope to be a total of 4 coaches plus the tender.
I like the idea of shimming the axle down though. Even I should be able to manage that. ;)
Filing off the flange using a drill on slow speed might be my other option, assuming wheel sets are available from Bachmann.
Incidentally, so far, there is no sign of the signature Bachmann wobble on these wheels
Whilst awaiting various bits and bobs including, thanks courtesy of massive help from Greg Emassian, metal rods from Nevada(!) I noticed on a video of another loco that the centre axle wheel on both the tender and 6 wheel coach do not rotate when the train is in motion. This is because they are slightly smaller radius and have no flange. Not too much of an issue at a distance perhaps but very annoying at closer range plus, they are BIG and close range is quite far away!
As a trial and probably temporary measure until I find something better, I decided to run elastic bands around two adjoining axles.
When I removed the well engineered bearings I was surprised to see the detail. A loose plastic bearing held in by a metal bearing cap.
Initially, I simply replaced the plastic bearings and screwed down the bearing caps. Result? A binding axle!
On disassembly and close inspection I discovered that the plastic bearings have a small collar at one end which fits into a matching groove in the fixed part of the axle box and the bearing cap has a corresponding wider groove.
Remarkably sophisticated.
Re-assembled correctly and all is well.
My solution to stationary axle is a reasonable success, the axle doesn’t rotate at quite the same speed as the outer one and so the failure rate of the laccy bands might be high but pending any other remedy I will live with it pro tem.
View attachment 245094
well, that idea did not last long after just a few days the elastic fails to rotate the centre axle which has a touch more resistance than the outer ones. I could try roughening the axle or applying something slightly abrasive to it or I could just try knicker elastic. :-0

Chris Vernell

Tortoise
24 Oct 2009
Nepean, ON
Country
Canada
Best answers
Country flag
Well, that idea did not last long after just a few days the elastic fails to rotate the centre axle which has a touch more resistance than the outer ones. I could try roughening the axle or applying something slightly abrasive to it or I could just try knicker elastic. :-0
Would the owner of the knickers not object? >:)

Or you do as I do and ignore the non-turning wheels.

Rhinochugger

Retired Oik
27 Oct 2009
North West Norfolk
Best answers
Country flag
Parcel Farce tracking only works when it has been delivered. :devil::devil::devil::devil::devil:

A bit like an Architect's drawing that he produces once things are built - absolutely no mistakes :cool::cool:

KeithT

24 Oct 2009
Nr Manchester
Best answers
Country flag
A bit like an Architect's drawing that he produces once things are built - absolutely no mistakes :cool::cool:
I spent 40+ yrs dealing with architects, I knew some who couldn't get it right even then!
I took an architecture course myself for 3yrs but ditched it. :banghead:

KeithT

24 Oct 2009
Nr Manchester
Best answers
Country flag
Would the owner of the knickers not object? >:)

Or you do as I do and ignore the non-turning wheels.
So long as she was not wearing them at the time I don’t see a problem. :rofl:

Hmm, seeing the wheel stationary partic’ as it is so large and spoked would irritate.:tmi:

Chris Vernell

Tortoise
24 Oct 2009
Nepean, ON
Country
Canada
Best answers
Country flag
Hmm, seeing the wheel stationary partic’ as it is so large and spoked would irritate.:tmi:
Just keep your eyes on Emily's big driver.

KeithT

24 Oct 2009
Nr Manchester
Best answers
Country flag
Emily’s big. . . . . . ?
Oh, drivers.
Right.:devil:

KeithT

24 Oct 2009
Nr Manchester
Best answers
Country flag
Can anyone tell me if the rear of the tender is plain apple green or is there a dark green central panel as on the sides?
I have looked high and low for a pic without success. When I saw it some time ago the original tender was being refurbished but was not painted.

playmofire

Registered
23 Oct 2010
North Yorks
Best answers
Country flag
Can anyone tell me if the rear of the tender is plain apple green or is there a dark green central panel as on the sides?
I have looked high and low for a pic without success. When I saw it some time ago the original tender was being refurbished but was not painted.

Looking at my recent photo of No. 1 at the NRM, there is no dark green central panel but there is a dark green border. I'll resize a photo of post it later.