G scale Emily loco to Stirling Single - again.

KeithT

Hillwalking, chickens and - err - garden railways.
24 Oct 2009
Nr Manchester
Best answers
Country flag
Youtube has its uses, this just popped up. Several shots of No1, a pity they are lo-res but beggars can’t be choosers; a very distinctive sound. At around 4mins 30s she appears to stop in tdc and has to be nudged back in order to restart. It was a ‘feature’ of the little Ivatt 2MT 2-6-0 tanks as I recall.

Reactions: 1 users

trammayo

Interested in vintage commercial vehicle, trams, t
24 Oct 2009
Co. Mayo
Country
Ireland
Best answers
Country flag
1540012141582.pngBrake

1540012214933.pngStandard

Reactions: 1 user

Rhinochugger

Retired Oik
27 Oct 2009
North West Norfolk
Best answers
Country flag
WIND IS never and will NEVER be my problem:devil::angel:
I can remember taking my middle son and some of his school chums to Chessington World of Adventure for one of his birthday treats - one of the rides was the Bubble Works where among other things on the wall was the Beufart Scale :nod::nod::nod::nod: seemed to be a major attraction for the young boys, can't think why :think::think::think::think:

KeithT

24 Oct 2009
Nr Manchester
Best answers
Country flag
Slight trauma resolved, the loco and coach should have been delivered yesterday and according to the Yodel so-called tracking system they were. I have their “confirmation” post.
Only problem is, they were not.
A call to Hatton’s revealed that delivery was to be today. In fact, it has now arrived but how can anyone trust any of these delivery services? Today’s driver said he was an agency driver and my story was not the first he had heard today. I specifically ticked the delivery box for DPD when I ordered but it is pure lottery.
My neighbours have had several parcels returned to sender by Yodel after claiming “delivery”.
I gave up on Parcel Farce years ago after two parcels of train items worth over £500 apiece failed to arrive on time. I traced them by pure coincidence just as they were about the be returned to the USA.
A neighbour spotted what happened with two other packages, he saw the driver on both occasions leap from the cab and stuff a “Sorry you weren’t in “ card through the letter box and sprint back to the van without ringing the bell. He took in both parcels. We were at home on each occasion.
A large part of the blame is with the management of the companies, they send drivers out with far more packages than they can possibly deliver, I have head of as many as 300 per shift.

KeithT

24 Oct 2009
Nr Manchester
Best answers
Country flag
Dismantling the coach took all of 5mins flat. It is very strongly built with the exception of the roof which is simply “drop on” without even the benefit of an interference fit.
I was mystified to find that both the underside of the coach body and the top of the “chassis” are embossed with an arrow as if they need to be assembled to match. In fact, the body fits either way.
The glazing is glued in place but responded to careful use of a Stanley knife. The adhesive use is sensible and not overdone. 8 screws release the body. Job done
The metal wheels run in individually fitted metal angle brackets hidden behind plastic axle boxes/running boards. V solid and lots of low down weight.

KeithT

24 Oct 2009
Nr Manchester
Best answers
Country flag
Checking over the loco, I have yet to test run it before dismantling, I found the same little problem I have seen on several others ie displaced crosshead slide bars. On some the flimsy plastic simply waves about as the crosshead moves backwards and forwards. It is a strange problem given that so much of the loco is in a different hard, rigid plastic. Easily remedied but another reason to fit metal rods etc.

Looking underneath, most parts are simply screwed in place and removable. One difficult job will be reducing the boiler projection into the cab. Not sure yet if I shall brave cutting the cab roof overhang. It will help a little with chopping the boiler but might test my “skills” too far. 53FB7482-C7CA-41AA-9969-E4C87FF52191.jpegD5EB7394-80EF-4526-BAA9-3619E9D53C77.jpeg6E0C3A5A-F99B-4D8D-9018-A3ED221DC620.jpegEB909E25-C848-4D0A-A137-96C86EF0BE76.jpeg
What IMMENSE coupling hooks it has.
Those are coming off!
Not sure what size buffers I should use, I think I spotted that others have used Gauge 3 ones.

Last edited:

playmofire

Registered
23 Oct 2010
North Yorks
Best answers
Country flag
Assuming that a picture of a model Stirling on Olivia's Trains website is correct, the Stirling didn't seem to have much of a footplate as such but more a projection piece out towards the tender.

KeithT

24 Oct 2009
Nr Manchester
Best answers
Country flag
Assuming that a picture of a model Stirling on Olivia's Trains website is correct, the Stirling didn't seem to have much of a footplate as such but more a projection piece out towards the tender.
I took some detailed pics of the Loco a few years ago but I am struggling to find them. They are hidden deep on a hard drive. I have just this at present. The cab isn’t very deep but the boiler backplate is all that projects into it as can be seen here. It is going to involve a lot of cutting in a very confined space.
CF18ECCB-5756-414F-8C20-0ED43CAECED7.jpeg

KeithT

24 Oct 2009
Nr Manchester
Best answers
Country flag
Duplicate post deleted

Last edited:

playmofire

Registered
23 Oct 2010
North Yorks
Best answers
Country flag
Well, the Stirling Single was there, on the turntable(!) so no chance of a closeup of the cab/footplate.

KeithT

24 Oct 2009
Nr Manchester
Best answers
Country flag
Well, the Stirling Single was there, on the turntable(!) so no chance of a closeup of the cab/footplate.
Thanks for the offer and attempt.
I hope to be there quite soon. I need to take my K27 to P&S models but having No1 on the turntable is quite inconsiderate of them!:mad:

playmofire

Registered
23 Oct 2010
North Yorks
Best answers
Country flag
Thanks for the offer and attempt.
I hope to be there quite soon. I need to take my K27 to P&S models but having No1 on the turntable is quite inconsiderate of them!:mad:

Yes, I'd even brought a foldable two foot rule with me.

The exhibit seemed to have been changed and shifted around since my lat visit. Photography seemed easier (apart from the dreaded reflections on boilers and tender sides) and there were a number of tank locos in the displays, my favourites and, I feel, much ignored by railway enthusiasts.

KeithT

24 Oct 2009
Nr Manchester
Best answers
Country flag
Whilst awaiting various bits and bobs including, thanks courtesy of massive help from Greg Emassian, metal rods from Nevada(!) I noticed on a video of another loco that the centre axle wheel on both the tender and 6 wheel coach do not rotate when the train is in motion. This is because they are slightly smaller radius and have no flange. Not too much of an issue at a distance perhaps but very annoying at closer range plus, they are BIG and close range is quite far away!
As a trial and probably temporary measure until I find something better, I decided to run elastic bands around two adjoining axles.
When I removed the well engineered bearings I was surprised to see the detail. A loose plastic bearing held in by a metal bearing cap.
Initially, I simply replaced the plastic bearings and screwed down the bearing caps. Result? A binding axle!
On disassembly and close inspection I discovered that the plastic bearings have a small collar at one end which fits into a matching groove in the fixed part of the axle box and the bearing cap has a corresponding wider groove.
Remarkably sophisticated.
Re-assembled correctly and all is well.
My solution to stationary axle is a reasonable success, the axle doesn’t rotate at quite the same speed as the outer one and so the failure rate of the laccy bands might be high but pending any other remedy I will live with it pro tem.
2B2DB4D1-D456-47F4-B309-FCBB6920ED2D.jpeg

8 Mar 2014
San Diego
Country
Armenia
www.elmassian.com
Best answers
Country flag
I have not looked at mine closely, but would there be enough "meat" on the 2 outer wheelsets to turn down so they are the same diameter as the inner?

Or shim down the inner wheelset to get closer to the rail?

Or, order another outer wheelset and turn off the flange?

I will probable do one of the 3...

Greg

KeithT

24 Oct 2009
Nr Manchester
Best answers
Country flag
I have not looked at mine closely, but would there be enough "meat" on the 2 outer wheelsets to turn down so they are the same diameter as the inner?

Or shim down the inner wheelset to get closer to the rail?

Or, order another outer wheelset and turn off the flange?

I will probable do one of the 3...

Greg

Greg, great ideas although for No1 I am afraid I have no engineering skills, or suitable equipment and it would be expensive to farm it out for what I hope to be a total of 4 coaches plus the tender.
I like the idea of shimming the axle down though. Even I should be able to manage that. ;)
Filing off the flange using a drill on slow speed might be my other option, assuming wheel sets are available from Bachmann.
Incidentally, so far, there is no sign of the signature Bachmann wobble on these wheelsets.

8 Mar 2014
San Diego
Country
Armenia
www.elmassian.com
Best answers
Country flag
If you wanted to reduce the tread diameter, chucking a wheel in a drill, supporting the other end with a hole in a wood block and a file on the tread will make a poor man's lathe.

Have you measured the distance needed?

Also, that tender could really use sprung axles, I wonder if that could be done easily?

Greg

Rhinochugger

Retired Oik
27 Oct 2009
North West Norfolk
Best answers
Country flag
, chucking a wheel in a drill, supporting the other end with a hole in a wood block and a file on the tread will make a poor man's lathe.

Greg

:nod::nod: been there, done that, got the T-shirt :clap::clap: yes, it works pretty well >:)

I converted a centre pair of wheels to flangeless like that. However, I was unsuccessful with a similar operation on a set of Slater's wheels - steel was too hard, and had to get a friend to do it in a lathe o_O