FUN WITH A SHUTTLE UNIT

mole

Registered
25 Oct 2009
ipswich
Best answers
Country flag
Me and electric's do not go so I have run into a slight problem I have an Astrocraft shuttle unit which I am using with a Gaugemaster unit the shuttle unit has two wire's to go to the track no problems there and the other two wire's which are marked power go to the controller. There are 6 places on the back of the controller 2 for track 2 for aceessiores and 2 other's (I HAVE TRIED THE WIRE'S INTO THE DIFFERENT PAIR'S OF HOLE'S BUT IT WAS ONLY IN THE HOLE'S MARKED ACCERIORE'S THAT A LOCO WOULD RUN)The train run's back and forward's ok just as it should. the trouble I am having is that the loco goes only at one speed that is fast or more like very fast, when the controller is wired up to the track as is normal ie without a shuttle unit there is no problem. Short of making the train so heavy so as to make it go at a reasonably speed I am at a bit of a loss, HELP PLEASE THANKYOU

Gizzy

A gentleman, a scholar, and a railway modeller....
26 Oct 2009
Cambridgeshire
www.gscalecentral.net
Best answers
Country flag
Chris, the accessories terminals on a Gaugemaster Controller(which I recall are the 2 on the right hand side), are AC and a fixed 16 V.

Controllers don't have a variable AC outlet, and it seems that the Shuttle uses AC for power. I don't know but there may be some sort of control to turn down the volts out (which will be DC), maybe with a screwdriver, to a more acceptable speed.

What's the model of the ART unit mate? I'll Google it and see if I can find out any info on it.

If there is no way of adjusting the track voltage, I'll make something to do the job for you....

DoctorM

Interests: Manifold
2 Jan 2011
SE London
Best answers
Country flag
Re:FUN WITH A SHUTTLE UNIT

mole said:
......There are 6 places on the back of the controller 2 for track 2 for aceessiores and 2 other's
(I HAVE TRIED THE WIRE'S INTO THE DIFFERENT PAIR'S OF HOLE'S BUT IT WAS ONLY IN THE HOLE'S MARKED ACCERIORE'S THAT A LOCO WOULD RUN)......

This may be a daft question, but I will ask it anyway:

When you connected up the terminals marked track, are you sure you didn't have the speed set to zero?

Gizzy

26 Oct 2009
Cambridgeshire
www.gscalecentral.net
Best answers
Country flag

DoctorM said:
mole said:
......There are 6 places on the back of the controller 2 for track 2 for aceessiores and 2 other's
(I HAVE TRIED THE WIRE'S INTO THE DIFFERENT PAIR'S OF HOLE'S BUT IT WAS ONLY IN THE HOLE'S MARKED ACCERIORE'S THAT A LOCO WOULD RUN)......

When you connected up the terminals marked track, are you sure you didn't have the speed set to zero?
Good point!

And knowing Chris, it's probably not as daft as you think....

beavercreek

Travel, Art, Theatre, Music, Photography, Trains
24 Oct 2009
Colchester, United Kingdom
www.facebook.com
Best answers
Country flag

Hi Chris

The Aristo shuttle unit connects to the track output on the power pack and then the out put wires from the shuttle unit are connected to a piece of track in between the two shuttle ends. Sometimes you have to reverse the connections from the power pack to the shuttle to make it work properly if it doesn't operate properly.

mole

Registered
25 Oct 2009
ipswich
Best answers
Country flag

Gizzy said:
DoctorM said:
mole said:

Good point!

And knowing Chris, it's probably not as daft as you think....
No that was not a daft question and I did have it set to zero well after 1o minutes or so

mole

Registered
25 Oct 2009
ipswich
Best answers
Country flag

beavercreek said:
Hi Chris

The Aristo shuttle unit connects to the track output on the power pack and then the out put wires from the shuttle unit are connected to a piece of track in between the two shuttle ends. Sometimes you have to reverse the connections from the power pack to the shuttle to make it work properly if it doesn't operate properly.

Thankyou Mike will try that next

annieshalt

garden railways
24 Oct 2009
CLEVELAND
Best answers

hello chris, i just sorted my aristocraft unit out yesterday, the power should be taken from your controler to line output and then you can vary the speed of the shuttle, allan.:clap:

mole

Registered
25 Oct 2009
ipswich
Best answers
Country flag

Thankyou for all your answer's to the above ,looks like the problem I had has sorted its self out for now as the gaugemaster controller has gone like all there other g scale controller's ie it now only goe's at one speed and the astro unit had a lot of smoke coming out of it and the power indicator light doe's not light up so it look's like that is ****** so I will send the control unit back to them must be a full time job for some one there fixing them so might order a shuttle unit from them at the same time. The other shuttle unit I have is an all gaugemaster unit and controller set up, and that has been ok for the last 3 year's

Gizzy

26 Oct 2009
Cambridgeshire
www.gscalecentral.net
Best answers
Country flag

mole said:
Thankyou for all your answer's to the above ,looks like the problem I had has sorted its self out for now as the gaugemaster controller has gone like all there other g scale controller's ie it now only goe's at one speed

Gaugemaster Controllers have a life-time guarantee.

Give them a call and arrange to send it back for repair Chris....

mole

Registered
25 Oct 2009
ipswich
Best answers
Country flag

Yep I will do that Gizzy been down that road in the past I reckon every one they made of that unit they have been back to them at least once, the first one I had went back 3 time's sold it on to my ex brother in law 5 or 6 year's ago, it's never played up since ***'s law me think's