26 Jan 2021
79576 Weil am Rhein, Germany
Country
Germany
fam-weniger.jimdofree.com
Best answers
Country flag
Hello together,
Here is my latest project. I would like to build a locomotive to go with my "West Clare Railway". I have chosen the only surviving locomotive as a prototype. It will not be a scale replica. As with me, I just want the picture to be right. I have found several pictures of the "Slieve Callan" in the internet.
The motor is old and comes from the "LGB Spreewald Lok 2074", but it is unused.
The loco is built in a scale of 1:22,5, but the proportions are adapted to the drive. The boiler is a piece of tube, the rest is made of 2mm polystyrene. Some complicated parts I have 3D printed.
I plan to run this loco with battery and radio.
IMG_20210421_082201.jpgIMG_20210421_082442.jpgIMG_20210421_082329.jpgIMG_20210421_082333.jpg

IMG_20210421_082310.jpgIMG_20210421_082337.jpgIMG_20210421_082418.jpgIMG_20210421_082421.jpgIMG_20210421_082322.jpg

Reactions: 1 users

jimmielx

45mm gauge track - approx 16mm scale (1:19)
24 Oct 2009
Hastings, UK
Country
United-Kingdom
Best answers
Country flag
Fantastic! Very tidy modelling with the polystyrene and the 3D parts look great too. look forward to seeing this progress.

JimmyB

Now retired - trains and fishing
23 Feb 2018
Weston-super-Mare
www.tumble-down-falls.co.uk
Best answers
Country flag
Andreas, if you are going to run this on battery, I would remove the skates as they provide no use at all, but also disconnect all the pick ups from the wheels. You may think this does not matter, however is any thing is connected to the track then the power from your battery will run to it, minor problem it may not work, major problem could short out the circuit, Oh and on that subject ensure you have the correct type of fuse close to the battery to prevent any unwanted fires :)

SevenOfDiamonds

Registered
3 Jan 2010
Best answers
Country flag
The motor is old and comes from the "LGB Spreewald Lok 2074"
I applaud your intention and your achievement to date, but it does remind me of my own frustration when pondering on replicating locos from the Irish narrow gauge lines.

Slieve Callan has 4 foot driving wheels (and, unusually, the trailing wheels are the same diameter!) which would equate to 54mm at 1:22.5.

The most common wheel diameters on LGB steam engine motor blocks are 37.5mm (as on the Spreewald) and 46.5mm (American Mogul). The only LGB loco I'm aware of that has wheels of virtually the right diameter for Slieve Callan would be the Mikado, assuming this retailer's list of replacement traction tyres is correct . . .

1618999535261.png

And then, of course, the LGB motor blocks tend to have very short fixed wheelbases. That on the Spreewald is around 100mm whereas the prototype's 9' 6" fixed wheelbase would need 128mm.

When I put a scratchbuilt body on a Spreewald chassis, this all led me to "go freelance" (even though I hoped the result had "Irish leanings"). I was fortunate enough (right place, right time) to purchase (second-hand) a hand-built model of Blanche (Donegal Railway class 5A). It has a brass chassis by Pete (?) Janes using the driving wheels and motor from an LGB American Mogul. Fortunately, the fixed wheelbase is fairly close to the prototype, but the driving wheels are undersized (46.5mm rather than the 54mm needed). i'm still working out how it got smuggled out of the UlsterTransport Museum to operate on my line. Maybe I need to get a set of plates for one of Blanche's two twin sisters. Distorting history to rescue a loco from a scrap merchant is more plausible than nicking one from a museum!

The good news in all this, though, is that a model that has been hand-built is regarded (by those "in the know") as something special (when compared to the "straight out of the box" alternatives) so precise fidelity to scale is not the most important aspect.

Keep up the good work

David

Reactions: 1 user

Rhinochugger

Retired Oik
27 Oct 2009
North West Norfolk
Best answers
Country flag
Yeah, I thought the loco looked familiar, and did a bit of digging. It was built by Dubs of Glasgow, as was the IoM's Caledonia and there are a lot of visual similarities.

However, this model is looking good, and an 0-6-2 is a welcome variation to a narrow gauge stable :clap::clap::clap:

ECallinan

Registered
27 Jun 2016
Ireland
Best answers
Country flag
I drive/fire this engine here in sunny West Clare and at some point will be attempting to build a model myself some day, very interesting to see your progress so far and looking forward to seeing the result!

Andreas

Registered
26 Jan 2021
Country
Germany
Best answers
Country flag
hello all,
things have moved on a bit - spring also brings other tasks....
The superstructure of the locomotive is almost finished. All the current collectors have been removed from the engine.
The power supply is 4 Li-Io cells. I have installed the batteries in 2 battery holders in the water boxes. This way I can take the batteries out to charge them.
The batteries hang on a protection board. The receiver and speed controller are from Fosworks.
It's a great system. Playing with the locomotive and the radio hand controller is much better than track power and the cable controllers.
I think I will gradually convert my locomotives where possible

bahnhof.jpg

I must admit - the top speed is very fast - too fast - I noticed it in the film.

dunnyrail

DOGS, Garden Railways, Steam Trains, Jive Dancing,
Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
St.Neots Cambridgeshire UK
Best answers
Country flag
hello all,
things have moved on a bit - spring also brings other tasks....
The superstructure of the locomotive is almost finished. All the current collectors have been removed from the engine.
The power supply is 4 Li-Io cells. I have installed the batteries in 2 battery holders in the water boxes. This way I can take the batteries out to charge them.
The batteries hang on a protection board. The receiver and speed controller are from Fosworks.
It's a great system. Playing with the locomotive and the radio hand controller is much better than track power and the cable controllers.
I think I will gradually convert my locomotives where possible

View attachment 284717

I must admit - the top speed is very fast - too fast - I noticed it in the film.

Not sure if you have mentioned the Speed Controller within your battery setup. If it is a Cobra there are 3 speed options I find the lowest works best for me. Quite easy to change. You might also find that lesss Lion Cells may tame it somewhat, of course there is always the subtle use of the Tx.

Can certainly recommend an all Battery setup in the Garden, but others will disagree with that statement. Depends a lot on how regularly you run, near daily running on a circle keeps that track pretty well clean and fit for use. But dirty sidings containing dirty trucks will inevitably get less use and need regular scrubbing. Less regular running will most certainly need regular track cleaning which prompted my conversion to all battery a decision I have never regreted.

Andreas

Registered
26 Jan 2021
Country
Germany
Best answers
Country flag
I have continued building a little.
Not perfect, but I like it and the locomotive looks good. The optical impression is harmonic.
What do you think about the name? Should I call the loco "Slieve Callan" although it is / will be a free replica or should I find a phantasy name?
I have set the speed controller to power curve 3, so the locomotive is slower (approx. 40 Km/h max).
The Loco weighs a total of 2.5 kg. The Foswork technique works very well. driving....
IMG_20210509_184554.jpg2.jpg3.jpgIMG_20210509_184511.jpgIMG_20210509_184519.jpgIMG_20210509_184528.jpgIMG_20210509_184534.jpgIMG_20210509_184541.jpg

Last edited:

dunnyrail

Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
Best answers
Country flag
I think you have made such a good likeness the proper name is required IMHO.

Rhinochugger

Retired Oik
27 Oct 2009
North West Norfolk
Best answers
Country flag
I have continued building a little.
Not perfect, but I like it and the locomotive looks good. The optical impression is harmonic.
What do you think about the name? Should I call the loco "Slieve Callan" although it is / will be a free replica or should I find a phantasy name?
I have set the speed controller to power curve 3, so the locomotive is slower (approx. 40 Km/h max).
The Loco weighs a total of 2.5 kg. The Foswork technique works very well. driving....
View attachment 284838View attachment 284831View attachment 284832View attachment 284833View attachment 284834View attachment 284835View attachment 284836View attachment 284837
I'd go with the Irish name - it's a fine tribute :nod: :nod:

jimmielx

45mm gauge track - approx 16mm scale (1:19)
24 Oct 2009
Hastings, UK
Country
United-Kingdom
Best answers
Country flag
Fantastic work! The name of the prototype would be very fitting.

Andreas

Registered
26 Jan 2021
Country
Germany
Best answers
Country flag
hi,
Here's another question, I'm slowly getting closer to the colour. What colour should the loco be? Green is clear. But I don't really like the light green. I would like to paint it in dark green (RAL 6005 Mosgreen). That's the colour of my inspection car. KLICK

What do you think? The original passenger cars are also in a dark green.

dunnyrail

Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
Best answers
Country flag
hi,
Here's another question, I'm slowly getting closer to the colour. What colour should the loco be? Green is clear. But I don't really like the light green. I would like to paint it in dark green (RAL 6005 Mosgreen). That's the colour of my inspection car. KLICK

What do you think? The original passenger cars are also in a dark green.
Have a couple of pics of her and some others of the steam fleet in my book “The Irish Narrow Gauge in colour” and sad to say the pics are a little inconclusive. However for my money looking at the colour they would certainly not have been light green as some of that would have shown through. Apparently she was repainted in unlined Black before being plinthed under the canopy. This was from a black with silver and yellow lining that was used for a film. I reckon in her last days working Black may well have been the colour though why not use the same dark green as yourassenger and inspection car - rule 1! And as if by magic, the very film or at least part of it!
oh in 2 parts.
Not sure of this is another part of the same movie, but an interesting bit of Irish nonsense if ever there was one. Just love the Compartment upgrade to First!

Last edited:

ge_rik

British narrow gauge (esp. Southwold and W&LLR)
24 Oct 2009
Cheshire
www.riksrailway.blogspot.com
Best answers
Country flag
Whatever colour (or name) you decide on, you should feel rightly proud. She's a beauty, a sight to behold!

Rik

ge_rik

British narrow gauge (esp. Southwold and W&LLR)
24 Oct 2009
Cheshire
www.riksrailway.blogspot.com
Best answers
Country flag
Have a couple of pics of her and some others of the steam fleet in my book “The Irish Narrow Gauge in colour” and sad to say the pics are a little inconclusive. However for my money looking at the colour they would certainly not have been light green as some of that would have shown through. Apparently she was repainted in unlined Black before being plinthed under the canopy. This was from a black with silver and yellow lining that was used for a film. I reckon in her last days working Black may well have been the colour though why not use the same dark green as yourassenger and inspection car - rule 1! And as if by magic, the very film or at least part of it!
oh in 2 parts.
Not sure of this is another part of the same movie, but an interesting bit of Irish nonsense if ever there was one. Just love the Compartment upgrade to First!
Unless I am much mistaken, those coaches are six wheelers. They'll be fun to construct

Rik

dunnyrail

Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
Best answers
Country flag
Unless I am much mistaken, those coaches are six wheelers. They'll be fun to construct

Rik
Yes they had quite a few on that line of the Cleminson variety, some being retained for Footy Excursions when diesels took over. Some TnD Bogie cars migrated to the WC as well. There were also just a couple of 6 wheel opens on the line.

Andreas

Registered
26 Jan 2021
Country
Germany
Best answers
Country flag
not much new - I'm waiting for the sound module from the UK...

An attempt to attach the adhesive strips - it looks good!
IMG_20210521_123202.jpgIMG_20210521_123210.jpgIMG_20210521_123226.jpg

Reactions: 1 user

Andreas

Registered
26 Jan 2021
Country
Germany
Best answers
Country flag
Hello together,
the first test drive of my almost finished Slieve Callan. I think she looks good. Not quite the original, but I think who knows her knows what I want to represent. A nice driver and stoker are still missing. And maybe one or the other little detail...
IMG_20210610_165647.jpgIMG_20210610_165642.jpgIMG_20210610_165912.jpgIMG_20210610_165925.jpgIMG_20210610_165943.jpgIMG_20210610_165948.jpgIMG_20210610_165918.jpg

Flying15

Registered
12 May 2015
London
Best answers
Country flag
Hello together,
the first test drive of my almost finished Slieve Callan. I think she looks good. Not quite the original, but I think who knows her knows what I want to represent. A nice driver and stoker are still missing. And maybe one or the other little detail...
View attachment 286274View attachment 286273View attachment 286275View attachment 286277View attachment 286278View attachment 286279View attachment 286276
Beautiful job, an inspiration for modelling Irish prototypes
Chris