Fitting a chip to LGB 22300 ELLOK BREITENAU

MTheStrong

Registered
28 Oct 2009
Harwich
Best answers
Country flag
I have just purchased the above and would like to fit a decoder. The loco is decoder ready, has anyone fitted a chip to one recently. I am looking for advice on where to begin to access the loco. I have chipped several Stainzes in the recent past. Any advice help will be greatly appreciated.

MTheStrong

Gizzy

A gentleman, a scholar, and a railway modeller....
26 Oct 2009
Cambridgeshire
www.gscalecentral.net
Best answers
Country flag
Not quite sure on this, but is the body removal by taking out screws from underneath?

I would have thought no more than 4-8 screws on the chassis. One the body is off, you should be able to find the socket for the decoder....

MTheStrong

Registered
28 Oct 2009
Harwich
Best answers
Country flag
Thank you very much for the link. I have had a look at the diagram and think that I have worked out a plan to access the key parts. I will have a go at the weekend and will post photos of the process.

MTheStrong

HBBahn

Registered
21 Nov 2009
North Wales
Best answers
Country flag
If I remember correctly, there's something like the brake hose which is attached to both the chassis and the body, so has to be disengaged from the body before it can be removed.

stevelewis

Registered
24 Oct 2009
Buckley NR MOLD NORTH WALES
Best answers
If my memory is correct, I think its a simple MTS 2 decoder ( Or Massoth equivalent) push fit on the pins of the PCB,, there may be PCB variations depending on the loco production batch.

They dont take too long to do certainly a LOT less time than Forneys one of which I did last week!

MTheStrong

Registered
28 Oct 2009
Harwich
Best answers
Country flag
I have just completed fitting the chip to the locomotive. 4 screws are used to attach the chassis to the body. These are removed first. I then disconnected the brake pipes at the front and rear. The body and chassis now separate. I disconnected the four cable plug from the chassis. Body and chassis are now fully separated. The pcb to which the chip is fitted is located in the body. I carefully removed it from its 2 guides and fitted the chip directly to it. There is only way that the chip fits into the pins. The only thing to watch out for is the lead to the front power socket getting in the way odf the pcb when you refit the pcb back into its guides. I then reconnected the four cable plug back into its socket on the chassis. This was followed by refitting the 2 brake pipes, front and rear. Finally I fitted the 4 screws that lock the body to the chassis.

Philbahn

Registered
24 Oct 2009
Swinton Manchester
Best answers
Country flag
MTheStrong said:
I have just completed fitting the chip to the locomotive. 4 screws are used to attach the chassis to the body. These are removed first. I then disconnected the brake pipes at the front and rear. The body and chassis now separate. I disconnected the four cable plug from the chassis. Body and chassis are now fully separated. The pcb to which the chip is fitted is located in the body. I carefully removed it from its 2 guides and fitted the chip directly to it. There is only way that the chip fits into the pins. The only thing to watch out for is the lead to the front power socket getting in the way odf the pcb when you refit the pcb back into its guides. I then reconnected the four cable plug back into its socket on the chassis. This was followed by refitting the 2 brake pipes, front and rear. Finally I fitted the 4 screws that lock the body to the chassis.
SEE its easy peasey

MTheStrong

Registered
28 Oct 2009
Harwich
Best answers
Country flag
Thanks Philbahn for your link, it was most useful. I forgot to mention that it is importaant to switch the dip switches off. All in all a pretty straightforward exercise, much easier than say a Stainz.

Philbahn

Registered
24 Oct 2009
Swinton Manchester
Best answers
Country flag
Just done a ballenberg rack loco. An absolute nightmare. Lights came on in the wrong direction, and changing the CVs made it worse. Any way sorted now and the owners on his way to collect it