Adding a LGB MTS Decoder Loco to the Marklin CS3+

ReelfootJim

Registered
10 Dec 2017
St. Louis, MO, USA
Best answers
I just got the Marklin CS3+ Controller and trying to setup an older LGB Loco with a MTS Decoder. When I try to up the CVs, it get an interruption error and it won’t complete the load. Has anyone had success in adding older locos to the CS3+? If so, any tricks or tips would be greatly appreciated.

Jim

ReelfootJim

Registered
10 Dec 2017
St. Louis, MO, USA
Best answers
After downloading the manual from the website, discoveredd there is a programming mode port in the back of the CS3+. That solved most of the problems. The manual in the box is very minimal in instructions. Now, just have to figure out how to make the lights on the loco controllable with the CS3+. Setting CV51 to 1 or 9 is not working.

PhilP

G Scale, 7/8th's, Electronics
5 Jun 2013
Nottingham
Best answers
Country flag
Setting CV51 to 1 or 9 is not working.

Try setting CV 51 to '0' - control by lighting key..

This assuming an older LGB decoder..

PhilP.

phils2um

Phil S
11 Sep 2015
Ann Arbor, Michigan
Country
United-States
Best answers
Country flag
I believe the CS3/CS3+ only support DCC (including LGB MTS/MZS) decoder programming using the "programming track" track output - what I think you're calling the "programming mode port". The CS3/CS3+ have POM (Program On Main) only available for mfx decoders.

I do all my decoder programming changes on a programming track with the "main" disconnected as a precaution against inadvertently affecting another decoder. This may be unnecessary but make me feel good!

Last edited:

dunnyrail

DOGS, Garden Railways, Steam Trains, Jive Dancing,
Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
St.Neots Cambridgeshire UK
Best answers
Country flag
I believe the CS3/CS3+ only support DCC (including LGB MTS/MZS) decoder programming using the "programming track" track output - what I think you're calling the "programming mode port". The CS3/CS3+ have POM (Program On Main) only available for mfx decoders.

I do all my decoder programming changes on a programming track with the "main" disconnected as a precaution against inadvertently affecting another decoder. This may be unnecessary but make me feel good!
Good advice, a prog track can just be a piece of rail plugged in for the duration or a dedicated siding with a DPDT CO switch to change between Track Power or Programming Track or Off. Always best to have the off between the two powered modes.