DafyddElvy

1:22.5 & 15mm Scale Trams, , NG Steam Railways
10 Feb 2021
West Lothian
Country
Scotland
Best answers
Country flag
How many of us want the best detail we can for our railway, well a company I found by accident who can help if you'd like to have prototype fish plates.

Attachments

• Fish Plate Jig.jpg
    Fish Plate Jig.jpg
    128 KB · Views: 0
  • G Scale Fish Plates.jpg
    G Scale Fish Plates.jpg
    103 KB · Views: 0

Gavin Sowry

Garden Railroader and Raconteur
27 Oct 2009
Hutt Valley, NZ
Best answers
Country flag
Huh, far from prototypical.

Ralphmp

Registered
6 Jan 2010
Herts
Country
England
Best answers
Country flag
Too rich for my blood - I’ll stick with the manufacture-supplied fish plates and Massoth-style track clamps.

Ralphmp

Registered
6 Jan 2010
Herts
Country
England
Best answers
Country flag
And they should also give pretty good connection for folks using live rails. Maybe a stupid question, but wouldn't bolting the rails together create problems when the rail expand/contract? I’ve deliberately avoided using clamps on every rail joint thinking that fishplates allow the rails to expand/contract without upsetting track geometry.

playmofire

Registered
23 Oct 2010
North Yorks
Best answers
Country flag
And they should also give pretty good connection for folks using live rails. Maybe a stupid question, but wouldn't bolting the rails together create problems when the rail expand/contract? I’ve deliberately avoided using clamps on every rail joint thinking that fishplates allow the rails to expand/contract without upsetting track geometry.
A good point. I would have thought the holes should be slightly oval.

JimmyB

Now retired - trains and fishing
23 Feb 2018
Weston-super-Mare
www.tumble-down-falls.co.uk
Best answers
Country flag
I suppose to be prototypical, you would need to chop down the long lengths of track to prototypical lengths. Content with the 10 ft viewing rule, and have fun with my trains, though I am sure others probably G1 fans would go for it :)

DafyddElvy

10 Feb 2021
West Lothian
Country
Scotland
Best answers
Country flag
Personally I will probably stick with traditional model railway fish plates, if I were to consider electric track power in the future, I have made provision for a feeder to be provided with a connection to each rail along the route.

If someone did use prototype fish plates I would suggest oversize or oval holes in the rail but keep the holes in the fish plates to a clearance fit.

Rhinochugger

Retired Oik
27 Oct 2009
North West Norfolk
Best answers
Country flag
but wouldn't bolting the rails together create problems when the rail expand/contract? I’ve deliberately avoided using clamps on every rail joint thinking that fishplates allow the rails to expand/contract without upsetting track geometry.
All of my rail joints are either clamped or connected using Aristo/Bachmann screwed rail joiners. I fix the track to whatever it's laid on at fairly infrequent intervals, every 6 feet or so, and I'm not aware of any expansion / contraction issues.

The electrical continuity offered by both these types of rail joiner far outweighs the issues of potential thermal movement. Sliding fishplates are not a good solution for outdoor track power :shake::shake::shake:

LGeoB

Registered
12 Dec 2017
Perth, Western Australia
Country
Australia
Best answers
Country flag
I use Massoth rail clamps exclusively on my outdoor layout and, as for Rhinochugger, track fixed at infrequent intervals. No problems.

Geoff

JimmyB

Now retired - trains and fishing
23 Feb 2018
Weston-super-Mare
www.tumble-down-falls.co.uk
Best answers
Country flag
All of my rail joints are either clamped or connected using Aristo/Bachmann screwed rail joiners. I fix the track to whatever it's laid on at fairly infrequent intervals, every 6 feet or so, and I'm not aware of any expansion / contraction issues.

The electrical continuity offered by both these types of rail joiner far outweighs the issues of potential thermal movement. Sliding fishplates are not a good solution for outdoor track power :shake::shake::shake:
Even though I am "dead track" I use clamps and screw fishplates, and secure down in a few places, I have seem track float apart under use with ordinary fishplates.

Rhinochugger

Retired Oik
27 Oct 2009
North West Norfolk
Best answers
Country flag
Even though I am "dead track" I use clamps and screw fishplates, and secure down in a few places, I have seem track float apart under use with ordinary fishplates.
I think LG do some sort of clip to keep the track sections together, but it's one of the areas where I've always been critical of LGB, where they just 'bigged up' practices from the smaller scales.

To a certain extent you can understand it as, when LGB was first introduced, it was advertised generally as an indoor train set (for people with big houses and big pockets) but there are some areas that they have failed to re-engineer even when there were known shortcomings, and the sliding fish plates is one example.

Gavin Sowry

Garden Railroader and Raconteur
27 Oct 2009
Hutt Valley, NZ
Best answers
Country flag
View attachment 304179

Well, pretty prototypical except for the heads of the bolts and perhaps the nuts could be smaller.

My point exactly, and also the fact that they do not actually fish (which means the plates are angled to the same as that of the underneath of the rail head, and the angle of the foot).

DafyddElvy

10 Feb 2021
West Lothian
Country
Scotland
Best answers
Country flag
My point exactly, and also the fact that they do not actually fish (which means the plates are angled to the same as that of the underneath of the rail head, and the angle of the foot).
I can't find any M1.4 (scale size) with a hex head but I can find a dome head bolt which is prototypical for the earlier years, I did find an M1.5 bolt with a hex head so it is possible to get the bolts.

Personally I think I'll still stick to old fashion conventional rail fish plates, I haven't decided how I'll be fixing the track in place yet, as my line will be a tramway I may use a cement infill in places, but that's a whole separate topic.

ntpntpntp

Registered
24 Oct 2009
UK
Country
United-Kingdom
Best answers
Country flag
Bearing in mind the deep flanges we run with, it's probably better to have countersunk heads on the inside plate and nuts on the outside.

Rhinochugger

Retired Oik
27 Oct 2009
North West Norfolk
Best answers
Country flag
In some ways, i can understand why someone might want to depict a more realistic type of rail joint .................... but then we'd be into a discussion about what a prototypical length of rail should be and how frequently they should be spaced :rock::rock::rock::rock::rock:

PhilP

G Scale, 7/8th's, Electronics
5 Jun 2013
Nottingham
Best answers
Country flag
In some ways, i can understand why someone might want to depict a more realistic type of rail joint .................... but then we'd be into a discussion about what a prototypical length of rail should be and how frequently they should be spaced :rock::rock::rock::rock::rock:
... And whether you should 'stick' dummy fishplates on, and notch the railhead, for that authentic 'clickety-clack'?
:eek::wondering::):)

PhilP

G Scale, 7/8th's, Electronics
5 Jun 2013
Nottingham
Best answers
Country flag
InOtherNews:
Cat food order has arrived..
Closely followed by the Postie, who brought (among other things) two 100m rolls of equipment wire..
Red/White and Black/White insulation.
The Red/White lacks contrast, but I think it will do. :think:

PhilP

Rhinochugger

Retired Oik
27 Oct 2009
North West Norfolk
Best answers
Country flag
... And whether you should 'stick' dummy fishplates on, and notch the railhead, for that authentic 'clickety-clack'?
:eek::wondering::):)
:lipssealed::lipssealed: