DafyddElvy

1:22.5 & 15mm Scale Trams, , NG Steam Railways
10 Feb 2021
West Lothian
Country
Scotland
Best answers
Country flag
In some ways, i can understand why someone might want to depict a more realistic type of rail joint .................... but then we'd be into a discussion about what a prototypical length of rail should be and how frequently they should be spaced :rock::rock::rock::rock::rock:
A wee thread drift on to rail lengths is still more or less on topic >:) :D :rofl:

Gavin Sowry

Garden Railroader and Raconteur
27 Oct 2009
Hutt Valley, NZ
Best answers
Country flag
In some ways, i can understand why someone might want to depict a more realistic type of rail joint .................... but then we'd be into a discussion about what a prototypical length of rail should be and how frequently they should be spaced :rock::rock::rock::rock::rock:
Since you asked, 39' for American rail. That is so that the rail can fit on the once standard 40' long flat wagon. English, 60' is common, I believe.
In NZ we went for 42', because that's what you could fit in a ship's hold. When American was all we could get during/after the war, we had American ASCE and ARA sections, in 39' lengths.

JimmyB

Now retired - trains and fishing
23 Feb 2018
Weston-super-Mare
www.tumble-down-falls.co.uk
Best answers
Country flag
8 Mar 2014
San Diego
Country
Armenia
www.elmassian.com
Best answers
Country flag
From Wikipedia:

A fishplate, splice bar or joint bar is a metal connecting plate used to bolt the ends of two rails into a continuous track. The name is derived from fish, a wooden reinforcement of a "built-up" ship's mast that helped round out its desired profile.

Nothing to do with angles I believe...

I think you will see the first fishplate had no angles.

Greg

JohnSol

Registered
24 Sep 2017
USA
Best answers
Country flag
Huh, far from prototypical.
Maybe yes, maybe not.... the question is: what's prototypical? From mainline to out-of-the-way short lines, I've seen numerous variations in rail coupling.

Expansion: US mainlines utilize continuous welded rail. How they compensate for expansion is a mystery to me.

Paul M

Registered
25 Oct 2016
Royston
Best answers
Country flag
Maybe yes, maybe not.... the question is: what's prototypical? From mainline to out-of-the-way short lines, I've seen numerous variations in rail coupling.

Expansion: US mainlines utilize continuous welded rail. How they compensate for expansion is a mystery to me.
A lot of room at the termini for the rails to stretch to?

Gavin Sowry

27 Oct 2009
Hutt Valley, NZ
Best answers
Country flag
Not to me, but, I'm off for a day 'playing trains', I'll explain later when I get home.
Basically, forget the theory of linear expansion, that mainly applies to unrestrained steel. The fastenings, sleepers and ballast all play a big part in keeping the track straight and true.

8 Mar 2014
San Diego
Country
Armenia
www.elmassian.com
Best answers
Country flag
Of course curves let most of the expansion go, they move.

long straight track is still a wonder to me. Must be laid with enough gap to compensate, but how about 1/4 mile of welded rail?

The answer is at what temperature the rail is laid at (pretty high) and sometimes the rail does have to be cut, shortened and re-welded.

Greg

JimmyB

Now retired - trains and fishing
23 Feb 2018
Weston-super-Mare
www.tumble-down-falls.co.uk
Best answers
Country flag

long straight track is still a wonder to me. Must be laid with enough gap to compensate, but how about 1/4 mile of welded rail?

The answer is at what temperature the rail is laid at (pretty high) and sometimes the rail does have to be cut, shortened and re-welded.

Greg
In the UK with welder rail, according to temperature at time of fitting and the length, a gap is cut in the track, and the track stretched to fit before welding, ends up as a similar principle :)

Gavin Sowry

27 Oct 2009
Hutt Valley, NZ
Best answers
Country flag

Greg
That attachment sums up what I've been thinking about how to explain things all day while at a GR meet.
First of all, understand the concept of SFT Stress Free Temperature. In NZ we use a SFT of 32°C. That means when the rail is at that temperature, the steel is in its natural state.
Either side of that, the rail trys to expand or contract. To contain this, movement of the rail is held by fastenings with the sleeper. This transfers the thermal forces to the sleeper. Spring clips, such as Pandrol etc. are very good at this, dog spikes are pretty poor, that is why rail anchors are used hard up against each side of the sleeper. All this energy going into the sleeper is dissipated by the ballast, which is why ballast profile has to be meticulously maintained. Allow any of the above to get out of whack, and you WILL get track buckles..... which in this country, I have to investigate.

The cutting and welding mentioned is usually associated with the laying or repair of CWR (or ribbon rail to our American friends). Depends on what temperature the rail is at this time relative to the SFT. To compensate for the difference sometimes a calculate length is cut out, then the rail remaining is 'stretched' back to the actual length, and welded. You never lay rail when it is too hot, because theoretically you may have to compress the rail, which you can't do, and if you fastened down the hot rail above the SFT it will actually tear apart when it cools down to very cools temperature.

Paul M

Registered
25 Oct 2016
Royston
Best answers
Country flag
True blue? Not since I was a teenager and got dumped :(

AustrianNG

Director of my railway
16 Sep 2015
Wirral
Best answers
Country flag
I use Massoth rail clamps exclusively on my outdoor layout and, as for Rhinochugger, track fixed at infrequent intervals. No problems.

Geoff

Exactly. Electrical continuity with no need for jumper wires. No problems with expansion or contraction.

A115E0C4-7DEB-47DF-B768-C6AFEDB1BAE9.jpeg