Falkland Electric Traction Co.

mcbearuk

I'm New, Please Be Gentle
8 Aug 2015
Scotland
Best answers
Tramway Garden 1 Jun 17.jpg

'This has gone on too long' said my Cardiologist after my 2nd heart attack. So we sold the big old rambling house with the huge garden and moved to a converted cottage with a walled garden in Fife. We moved in just after Hogmanay this year, there was much to do, but first we got the garden crew in. They repaved and added posts to enclose an area approx. 4m x 7. The columns made it look like we were having a pagan temple built, but I explained it wa for a railway.... As I hope this will last me until I am gaga I wanted to avoid stooping, so I plan to have a raised deck about 1m above the ground running around the perimiter of 'my' part of the garden.

The result looked like the picture yesterday, the timber for the decking comes tomorrow and then the fun starts......

I have been haunting e-bal over the last few years for equipment for the 'When I retire' tramway, so we moved with me bringing crate after crate of stuff, there is a lot of rolling stock waiting and a number of projects to undertake. having spent the last 30 years of my life 'modelling' tramways in 1:1 scale 1:24 -ish should be interesting. I used to model in 4mm scale but over the years my dexterous fingers seem to have turned into clumsy thumbs, so big stuff will be good.

If the moderators can bear it I will post regular progress reports on my wee Traction Empire over the months....years...

Reactions: 3 users

Rhinochugger

Retired Oik
27 Oct 2009
North West Norfolk
Best answers
Country flag
Oh yes, so you think that a larger scale will be easier when your fingers become less nimble?

:shake::shake::shake::shake::shake::shake::shake::shake:

Don't ask me how I know :devil::devil::devil:

Reactions: 1 user

Zerogee

Clencher's Bogleman
25 Oct 2009
North Essex
Best answers
Country flag
Looking forward to seeing the continuation of the build..... :)

Jon.

mcbearuk

8 Aug 2015
Scotland
Best answers
Oh yes, so you think that a larger scale will be easier when your fingers become less nimble?

:shake::shake::shake::shake::shake::shake::shake::shake:

Don't ask me how I know :devil::devil::devil:
Can't get any worse, anyway 4mm is like watchmaking....

trammayo

Interested in vintage commercial vehicle, trams, t
24 Oct 2009
Co. Mayo
Country
Ireland
Best answers
Country flag
I echo Jon's post! Looking forward to more on your tramway build.

PhilP

G Scale, 7/8th's, Electronics
5 Jun 2013
Nottingham
Best answers
Country flag
Welcome!
We likes pictures, we does!! :clap::clap:

idlemarvel

Neither idle nor a marvel
13 Jul 2015
Ascot
Country
Mars
Best answers
Country flag
View attachment 224096
'This has gone on too long' said my Cardiologist after my 2nd heart attack.
I want to know what was going on too long! :)
Welcome to the fold. Large scale and raised track outdoors is the way to go, although living in Fife you might be wishing for a small indoor layout when winter comes, which is about September? :)

mcbearuk

8 Aug 2015
Scotland
Best answers
I want to know what was going on too long! :)
Welcome to the fold. Large scale and raised track outdoors is the way to go, although living in Fife you might be wishing for a small indoor layout when winter comes, which is about September? :)
I have moved down to Fife frae Aberdeenshire....so this is the balmy south !
Anyway, I have loads of bits n bobs and 'Spares or repair' purchases to cut-and-shut over the winter - and that I will do in my nice, warm study/modelling room.
The first load of wood arrived for the decking today, it is 25mm thick deckboards, so if it lasts 10 years it will probably outlast me! Unfortunately it arrived in the middle of a monsoon, so I didn't get a picture.

idlemarvel

Neither idle nor a marvel
13 Jul 2015
Ascot
Country
Mars
Best answers
Country flag
I was thinking of the whole of Britain not just Fife! Summer seems to be a figment of childhood memories. Hey ho.
If the timber is pressure treated and off the ground it should last a very long time.