Emily conversion to Stirling Single #1

Jerry Barnes

Garden Railways, Live Steam, Jukeboxes, Record Col
27 Oct 2009
USA-central Nebraska
thescrr.com
Best answers
Country flag
I started this over in the General Forum, but decided to continue it here. Bachman`s `Emily` is loosely based on the Stirling Single. I got a book with some good pictures and did some research on the web. I started by cutting the cab some to remove the `backhead` that was covering the speaker. I got some parts from the UK for the backhead of a locomotive, they did not look much like the Stirling backhead(although they were supposed to be). I added some parts from Ozark Miniatures and will add the gauges as I assemble it after painting.
  I sanded off the boiler bands and the molded hand rails. I used metal duct tape to cover up the boiler shell. I`ll put on handrails later.
I traced off the splash holes and cut them out. There is an inner layer that also has to be removed to see the wheel behind the splash holes.

Attachments

• EmilyBH.JPG
    EmilyBH.JPG
    28.8 KB · Views: 176
  • EmilyBH.JPG
    EmilyBH.JPG
    28.8 KB · Views: 174
  • Efloor.JPG
    Efloor.JPG
    74.4 KB · Views: 171
  • SSWhlCut1.jpg
    SSWhlCut1.jpg
    82.7 KB · Views: 190
  • SSWhlCut2.jpg
    SSWhlCut2.jpg
    104.6 KB · Views: 213

tramcar trev

all manner of mechanical apparatus...
22 Jan 2011
Canberra, Australia
trevs-tramway.blogspot.com
Best answers
Wow Jerry, looking very nice!

royale

G scale and driving my Royale Sabre kit car
26 Oct 2009
Long Eaton
Best answers
Coming along really well, Jerry. Really looking forward to seeing the finished loco.

Dtsteam

G Scale, Travel, Steam Boats, Mechanical Music
24 Oct 2009
Preston
Best answers
Country flag
Impressive stuff Jerry - I hadn't realised you had to cut the perforations from scratch.

The Devonian

Registered
17 Nov 2009
South Hams
Best answers
Country flag
Nice work, as usual, Jerry. I have been following your progress here and elsewhere.

For those who prefer another version of a 'single', and are adept at successful loco kitbashes, you might like to consider alternatives such as those on the GWR and LNER consituents and others I am sure. An internet trawl might produce more choices. Mention of the GWR of course reminds one of the Broad Gauge singles.

Jerry Barnes

27 Oct 2009
USA-central Nebraska
thescrr.com
Best answers
Country flag
Later singles did not have the splash holes and most earlier ones had their's filled in in the 1880's, during a maintenance time. I'm sure it was messy in the rain. I don't plan on running mine in the rain and think it will look neat with that big wheel rotating behind them.

Jerry Barnes

27 Oct 2009
USA-central Nebraska
thescrr.com
Best answers
Country flag
I got a bit more done to the conversion. I shortened the black braces and drilled a hole in them to match the plans. I added 1/2" Ozark castings bolts all the way around and 3/4" on the upright braces. Discovered the platform is a little high on the Emily, so the cylinder bolts will not show as much as they should.
http://freightsheds.largescalecentral.com/users/gunjeep444/_forumfiles/sterling/StrFrtb.JPG

Attachments

• StrFrta.JPG
    StrFrta.JPG
    60.2 KB · Views: 123
  • StrFrtb.JPG
    StrFrtb.JPG
    58.5 KB · Views: 151

Jerry Barnes

27 Oct 2009
USA-central Nebraska
thescrr.com
Best answers
Country flag
I got started some on the Stirling`s tender. The Emily one was just straight across. I could not find any good tender pictures of the Stirling, so just made up my own. Cut out an area for the fireman and made sides/floor/etc. I shortened the side rails and cut out some to fit a battery into the tender. The top lifts off now, so easy battery swap.

Attachments

• SterlTndrMod3.JPG
    SterlTndrMod3.JPG
    40.8 KB · Views: 102
  • SterlTndrMod2.JPG
    SterlTndrMod2.JPG
    41.1 KB · Views: 119
  • SterTndrMod1.JPG
    SterTndrMod1.JPG
    83.1 KB · Views: 119

Jerry Barnes

27 Oct 2009
USA-central Nebraska
thescrr.com
Best answers
Country flag
I got some better Emily parts from back2bay6. Very good quality castings, better than the metal ones I got before from someone else in the UK.
I had to trim the holes I had cut, didn`t quite match  up to the new splashers. Note you can see the wheel through the splasher holes. Should look neat when running, I think anyway!
EmilySplasher:boiler1.JPG

EmilySplasher:boiler2.JPG

I cut off the back of the cab roof straight across. Not much shelter for the engineer!

Attachments

• EmilyPlasticParts.JPG
    EmilyPlasticParts.JPG
    62.5 KB · Views: 128
  • EmilyPlasticParts2.JPG
    EmilyPlasticParts2.JPG
    53.1 KB · Views: 119

teewye

Registered
5 Feb 2014
Renfrewshire
Best answers
Country flag
Photographs of the Stirling Tender here.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/stuart166axe/12764324323/in/photostream/

Conversion is looking really good

Cheers

Jerry Barnes

27 Oct 2009
USA-central Nebraska
thescrr.com
Best answers
Country flag
I did a bit more to the tender. I put bolt heads on the back frame and `riveted` the metal with metal duct tape and a pounce wheel. I installed a speaker inside for the MyLocoSound card. Tender will also have the Rail Boss 4 Rx. Batteries will go in the coach behind the tender. A friend is making metal rods for the locomotive, I just need to go pick them up.

Attachments

• StrlTndr4.JPG
    StrlTndr4.JPG
    62.4 KB · Views: 89
  • StrlTndr5.JPG
    StrlTndr5.JPG
    88.1 KB · Views: 129

KeithT

Hillwalking, chickens and - err - garden railways.
24 Oct 2009
Nr Manchester
Best answers
Country flag
I was at the Shildon recently to see the Great Farewell and I spotted that there was a 'new' correct tender being prepared for No1. Seemingly, it has had the 'wrong one' for over 100yrs!

http://nationalrailwaymuseum.wordpress.com/2011/01/24/a-tale-of-two-tenders/

Also, I have lots more shots of the boiler cabside if needed.

Jerry Barnes

27 Oct 2009
USA-central Nebraska
thescrr.com
Best answers
Country flag
The tender Bachman made for Emily seems to be pretty close to the one they found. Sits up high as it does, not like the one that has been on it. I'd like to see your pictures of inside the cab, they seem to be hard to find. And the front of the old rusty tender.

Jerry Barnes

27 Oct 2009
USA-central Nebraska
thescrr.com
Best answers
Country flag
I copied the rod drawing from the Stirling Single book. A friend of mine took it and one of `Emily`s` plastic rods to make metal ones for my Stirling Single conversion from Bachman`s Emily. He did a very nice job and is planning on molding and casting them in metal also. I will pass your name on to him if you are interested in a pair. He is also planning to do the crossheads and guide rods.

Attachments

• SSrodInSml.JPG
    SSrodInSml.JPG
    48.1 KB · Views: 111
  • StirlingRodsSmall.jpg
    StirlingRodsSmall.jpg
    89 KB · Views: 122

trammayo

Interested in vintage commercial vehicle, trams, t
24 Oct 2009
Co. Mayo
Country
Ireland
Best answers
Country flag
It just gets better and better.

Jerry Barnes

27 Oct 2009
USA-central Nebraska
thescrr.com
Best answers
Country flag
Been awhile since I posted about this. I got the rod and crossheads on and they worked fine. I painted it to match the Emily coaches green color. Not trying to paint them with a wood pattern like Jeremy did. I used a drafting compass with a ink/paint end on it to outline the holes. Need to touch them up some. Jeremy(in the UK) got me some vinyl strip kits to apply the lining. Hard to do with .5mm stripes!  Still working on the tender. Yes I know the paint is not correct, but I painted it to match the coaches green colors. I was not aware the coaches were actually wood. But time to draw this project to an end.

Attachments

• SSlinedWeb.JPG
    SSlinedWeb.JPG
    33.5 KB · Views: 89
  • StirlingLined1t.JPG
    StirlingLined1t.JPG
    29.2 KB · Views: 91
  • StirlingLinedL.JPG
    StirlingLinedL.JPG
    40.7 KB · Views: 98

Eaglecliff

Registered
19 Jul 2010
Derby, England
Best answers
Country flag
Nice job, Jerry, well done. Now, how about a conversion to the much more beautiful Midland Railway Johnson Single? I once hitched a ride on the footplate of the one which now languishes in the National Railway Museum at York, never to turn a wheel under its own steam again?

jeremy.viewing

Registered
15 Aug 2014
Souldrop
www.facebook.com
Best answers
Country flag
Wonderful job, Jerry would not not have got mine off the ground with your original posts and help. Don't worry about the carriages, do them to suit your taste, rule 8 applies.