Eighton Bahn AKA testing testing RhB

Nodrog1826

Professional Idiot
21 Nov 2013
United Kingdom
Best answers
Country flag
Ok Folks

After the last attempt to rebuild my railway thread after what has passed befor, became a bit of a disaster.
Here we go again, again. :confused::banghead:

My first introduction into garden railways, came when i was a kid and my parents bought me one of those Triang Big Big Train sets.
3764c591360b49fba082c833aba35b80.jpg

This was set up in the quarry in the garden, for quarry read hole dug in the soil.
Not withstanding the constant laying and taking up, and the bombing of it by my other brothers, as it made great targets for their tanks and the odd quarry accident,
it survived quite well, apart from the roller. As time passed it was packed way and forgotten about, and later my dad disposed of it.:crying:

Anyhow as a teenager i was first indroduce to LGB, not via one of those overhead layouts at my local Beatties store, but via the model club at my comp school.
One of the other kids had a large green tank engine etc that he set up and i guess i was hooked.
So i purchased the relevent catologue of the time, and i was further hooked by what appeared to be a full sized picture of a bendy, brown overhead lecy loco.

Anyhow time passed and life continued, leave school, work, 75% burns, work, marriage, a kid, (Heir To the Overdraft (HTO)) broken back and neck, work and finally ill health retirement aged 35. Ok its not the bog standard life, but it's how mine turned out..at the time.

So things plod on as they say, hobbies, some old some new came and went, then two things happened at the same time.
Firstly a windfall courtsey of HM Government and a suggesting that i get myself a me time hobby.
Windfalls as they are and marital authorities, have other plans but there was some money left, and so one Ebay purchase later.
47e00f078bb04274bad4fff8c6d1b6db.jpg

Yep i purchased one of those bendy brown loco's i admired so much as a kid.

Now one loco on its own is not enough. So several Ebay purchases later..
39b3d88a5dc04a928741af03a25cf0ee.jpg

49b2c4b4a7914744a442986c33e570c0.jpg

As well as an assortment of additional track.

Last edited:

Nodrog1826

Professional Idiot
21 Nov 2013
United Kingdom
Best answers
Country flag
Re:Eighton Bahn AKA testing testing RhB.

So i had the one of the two requirements for a garden railway, the makings of a railway, but did i have the other a garden,
a quick look out of the window, answered that question. :D
[attachimg=1]
But a garden is not enough, some sort of storage AKA a shed would be nice, well i sort of had one of those.
An old lean to that had more lean than to about it which was loosely attached, very loosely actually, to an old outside netty, so it had to go.

Time to call in some help the demolition crew or the family as they are better known.
Demolition of the lean to was the plan as the outside netty was a store for the garden tools.
So a syncronised half brick throwing, removed the glass and the rest sort of topled over in quick order.

Time to build the new, materials were sourced, and worked commenced, it came to the point where the block work needed to be keyed into the old netty,
that ws left to my dad (Bodgit) to cut out some of the bricks, and whilst no one was looking, the corner fell off, he said.

So now we had to build two sheds.. :-\
[attachimg=2]
Now as finances are tight and the workforce had to fit things in as time allowed, this took some time.

[attachment deleted by admin]

New Haven Neil 2

Registered
24 May 2011
Isle of Man
Best answers

deja vu?

Nice to see the story building up Gordon, ....again...;) looking forward to seeing the viaduct thread, the I always thought the refuges were very cleverly thought out.

NHN

Nodrog1826

Professional Idiot
21 Nov 2013
United Kingdom
Best answers
Country flag

Ok Neil, eventually.

Any how continuing on...

Various books, mags were read, but there comes a time that you need proper advice. That is someone you can talk to.

So i hit the web, and i stumbled upon a forum run by one Jason Palmer, called G Scale Mad, and as i am totally nuts.
and also wondering what the Elephant with the spash of blue water logo was all about i joined.... It transpires the water was actually a blue pill to keep the elephant at bay.

At this point i should put on record that if it was not for Jason's website i would not be where i am today, nor would have have come into contact with so many like minded people,
or indeed have learned so much as i now know.
I should also add that that continues today with GSC as well....

But back to the tale...
A railway no matter how early in its development should have a name, so in a play of words of the ancestrial home i tried the following.
e1e47d5e70e54f34986d076f539505fc.jpg

e6e741d3b4814c78bf269adc118389ad.jpg

The two different spellings reflecting the different ways the ancestrial home have been named over the years, but for the railway,
it's to be the new one. The old spelling will crop up as well, but more of that when it happens...

So having decided upon a name, the shed was a work in progress, there was no tack plan so to speak, time came to try an outdoor test.
But not wanting to over do things it was a low key, secret affair, just us and no one else.
[attachimg=1][attachimg=2][attachimg=3]
However word soon got out ...

Family arrived..
[attachimg=4]
After all the fun, its amazing how they all dissapeared when it was to pack up. ::)

A security issue was also addressed..... ;)
[attachimg=6]

Nodrog1826

Professional Idiot
21 Nov 2013
United Kingdom
Best answers
Country flag

With the first run out of the way, it was clear i was on a steep learning curve, the slope of the garden was too steep, the 1 amp controller was not powerful enough, and the curves were too tight. Yep all the basic first time mistakes.....

Nodrog1826

Professional Idiot
21 Nov 2013
United Kingdom
Best answers
Country flag

Well the next thing that happened apart from the continuing construction of the shed.

Well i took the first steps into meeting up with some of our fellow members, at an event in the North West,
an event, which at the time was noted for the nearby suppliers of consumables
[attachimg=1]
and we had the first visit to the railway as well...
[attachimg=2]
[attachimg=3][attachimg=4][attachimg=5]

Nodrog1826

Professional Idiot
21 Nov 2013
United Kingdom
Best answers
Country flag

Things were going well, but there was a non railway development, that could and would continue to have an influence on developments.
The maritial authorities AKA (Swmbo) was finding it painful to walk. Little did we know at the time this was the start of what would become frequent visits to the hospital, several operations, months as an inpatient and the outcome, where she would lose the use of her legs...:bleh::bleh::bleh:

While things would continue from now on, they were well and truly on the back burner, and they remain so...

mike

Master at annoying..
Staff member
GSC Moderator
24 Oct 2009
Rossendale
www.gscalecentral.net
Best answers
Country flag

i remember the backion barms...mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

Nodrog1826

Professional Idiot
21 Nov 2013
United Kingdom
Best answers
Country flag

So things were plodding on at their own pace.

I had decided that for me control was going to be digital, and the brown bendy loco and a massoth chip were dispatched to the,
Mike Duffy Loco Wrks, for fettling and fitting. A bold step as i had not even decided on which controller i was going to get.
[attachimg=1]
[attachimg=2]
[attachimg=3]
At this end my limited skills were turned in another direction.
[attachimg=7]
[attachimg=5]
[attachimg=6]

JRinTawa

Member of the Wellington Garden Railway Group
25 Oct 2009
Tawa
www.gscalecentral.net
Best answers

Hmm tastie :)

Nodrog1826

Professional Idiot
21 Nov 2013
United Kingdom
Best answers
Country flag

The shed blockwork was done but it still needed a roof. A job for the following spring.
fec26ab8571645e3a0113c37a2485981.jpg

Then attention turned to the inside.
Lecy, train bench and a work bench. I think its still there under all the junk that gathers.
6785b255525c440b942ef91a92c6bc42.jpg

51ad29287fde47f69ddf0582ad0b7bec.jpg

ae02148124f5434daed46e28ff57afed.jpg

ac9ef46cf03a408cbf5cc489c45762e0.jpg

Nodrog1826

Professional Idiot
21 Nov 2013
United Kingdom
Best answers
Country flag

So time came for me to make my first attempt to lay track, even if it was only on the bench.

My very very limited experience of this sort of thing showed straight away...:confused:
[attachimg=1]
[attachimg=2]
But then i got there in the end.
[attachimg=3]
Installed the anti dunch wall device, only works if a loco is leading.
[attachimg=4]
As well as a door of sorts for the cat flap to doom..
[attachimg=5]

Nodrog1826

Professional Idiot
21 Nov 2013
United Kingdom
Best answers
Country flag

Eventually i would have to turn my efforts to the outside.

As i was starting to collect materials
[attachimg=1]
[attachimg=2]
and additional rolling stock.
[attachimg=3]
[attachimg=4]
[attachimg=5]

Nodrog1826

Professional Idiot
21 Nov 2013
United Kingdom
Best answers
Country flag

Having decided to go digital, and having saved the required funds, my control system arrived.

There was at first a minor glitch with one of the parts, two different parts with close part numbers,
i got the wrong one, but it was soon sorted.

So an initial test was called for,
[attachimg=1]
as well as my first foray into the vid section.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G1y4A-aUx-w

Nodrog1826

Professional Idiot
21 Nov 2013
United Kingdom
Best answers
Country flag

Next will be the initial foray into the outside world....

Philbahn

Registered
24 Oct 2009
Swinton Manchester
Best answers
Country flag

Nice recap of the story Gordon. :clap:
Enough; now get on with it!:rolleyes::rolleyes:
The railway that is!:D:D

Lordraglan274

Too much of a good thing is nearly enough.
25 Oct 2009
Lowestoft, Suffolk
Best answers
Country flag

Great story Gordon, and told well so you just have to smile despite all the problems you face.
At least you got your indoor track laid...my efforts in a back room just wouldnt work out.
After many attempts at the design I didnt even get the base boards constructed....the track was used as a winter storage depot for the large diesels instead.
I did take some photos as it was going to be an impressive project......wrong!
de227f88ae034a79887135d0f54a85b7.jpg

a9f55d0e06a54a80b92cdba2263f02c0.jpg

0794f01b0ce74964ba76fd308e9278da.jpg

1059036cd74544efb42fc4ed59f56204.jpg

799bb7245584452da1a0e83db841478a.jpg

The Diesel depot looked the part though, but that never got track power either. In the spring the engines went off to work and all the R1 trackwork went into a box, and remain to this day. But your thread has given a kickstart and the shed has been investigated this afternoon as a new home for the R1 circuit.
Anyway I am looking forward to the next instalment.
Syd

spoz

What do I do? What I'm told by SWMBO
27 Oct 2011
Adelaide, South Australia
Best answers
Country flag

Gordon,

Great story, and you are telling it well. Ever thought of putting it together and offering to GR? While it wouldn't be quite in the normal way of articles they use I reckon Tag would leap at it.

Steve

Nodrog1826

Professional Idiot
21 Nov 2013
United Kingdom
Best answers
Country flag

Must admit i have never given it a thought......

Any how back to the tale.....the outside..

Temporary set ups in the garden are just that, temporary, and i had a few goes at that both day and night.
2aacef4ba5554c22bdb047034baf669f.jpg

5eaf751e0ca64ee7ac1519a7efedc80f.jpg

8b330420b9cb48a98bd86dac7f80dd41.jpg

But was still unsure as to what to do for real. I needed a raised section to cope with the slope of the garden, and to connect the cat flap of doom.
Plus lets face it i aint getting any younger, etc etc
The soluition to my problem presented itself, in a strange way, there was allready a mound of spoil outside the cat flap of doom, but with the installation of
a wheelchair access ramp for Swmbo, rather than hire a skip i suggested to the installation guys that they dump the spoil from the construction in another heap.
442081272a144deb9280013af37aecf9.jpg

So a plan was born, basically connect the heaps, with a bridge.

Nodrog1826

Professional Idiot
21 Nov 2013
United Kingdom
Best answers
Country flag

So how to (or not) build a bridge....

Someones missfortune is someone elses good luck and so a bad Winter, the collapse of a neighbours conservatory roof,
yeilded some bits of reinforced uPVC. Together with some roof ridge tiles, a plan was formed.

The uPVC could be dismantled and re jigged to form the deck, tiles would form the piers, once the footings, were cast in the mound.
[attachimg=1]
[attachimg=2]
[attachimg=3]
[attachimg=4]
[attachimg=5]
[attachimg=6]
Look Neil refuges...:clap:
Now a curve was needed to get to the second mound, so the second pier was set to accomodate a R3 curve.

My minds eye had it all planned out as to how to build ths curve, but at first eye to hand co ordination wasn't working.
[attachimg=7]
But in the end i with the aid of lecy trunking, stud bar and a total re think for the simple of engineering i got there...
[attachimg=8]
[attachimg=9]
Another straight section would be the final link to the mound...
[attachimg=10]
.....and of course the obligatory vids were taken as well
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kDyfE_Jf-nU&list=UUP1cvtGx-WP0yPqEBm4_7tQ&index=30&feature=plcp

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RHl0tZ2dnYs&list=UUP1cvtGx-WP0yPqEBm4_7tQ&index=24&feature=plcp