Eighton Bahn AKA testing testing RhB

Nodrog1826

Professional Idiot
21 Nov 2013
United Kingdom
Best answers
Country flag
Re:Eighton Bahn AKA testing testing RhB.

So now the proper construction can begin...

The wheelchair ramp mound, will become the station area eventually..
So all the effort up to now only got me out of the shed, more spoil was needed to raise the mound to the correct height.
But first a wall was needed to contain it, so the start was made, not a straight wall, that would be too easy.
I decided to build a curved one, and to this day i can not think why.....
[attachimg=1]
[attachimg=2]
Soaking the blocks, was part of the preparation, made the removal of the old cement easier...
[attachimg=3]
Recycling materials can involve a bit of sideways thinking...

[attachment deleted by admin]

Nodrog1826

Professional Idiot
21 Nov 2013
United Kingdom
Best answers
Country flag

Ok might as well get this bit over with...

I tried my hand at a re paint.

Befor, well during actually
[attachimg=1]
After
[attachimg=2]
I think the befor is the better version.....i know my limitations in the creative dept.

But not wanting to be defeated, i needed something cheap, and some would say nasty,
(to each their own i suppose, but why pay a lot when you are not confident in your skills), for bodging with at a later date.
They are still awaiting my (lack of) painting skills....
[attachimg=3]

[attachment deleted by admin]

Nodrog1826

Professional Idiot
21 Nov 2013
United Kingdom
Best answers
Country flag

We are now getting to the end of 2011 in this epic saga.
Mind you the previous incarnation took over twenty pages to get this far,
so guess there are some advantages in having a fresh start.

Nodrog1826

Professional Idiot
21 Nov 2013
United Kingdom
Best answers
Country flag

So now to 2012, or the year i lost all that had gone befor (postings wise, some say i lost the plot years ago)

For those of you out there, who have the responsability of caring for another, will understand the next bit.
Looking after Swmbo full time, you are seen as a item rather than a person, to a certain extent you are,
occupied with the person you look after, and you let yourself slide, it just sort of creeps up on you.

Now i must add i am not complaining, after all the deal was "In sickness and in Health etc"

Well im guilty as charged M'laud, i became unwell, but struggled on, for far too long as it turned out.
Diabetes, High Blood pressure...or..I turned 50 and promptly fell to bits, whcih wasn't too difficult.
After all i had made a right hash of things by the age of 35, but medication soon had those in hand.
But there was something else as well, infact it had my GP very concerned, reading between the lines it looked as if it was another "C" scare the third one. Three strikes and you're out, i hoped not, everything was crossed.

At this point my mind was no longer on railway matters, i was just an observer looking in, GSC ish.
What happend next was well doccumented at the time, and not going over old ground, i bailed out of GSC and all was lost.

yb281

Registered
24 Oct 2009
Worcestershire
www.facebook.com
Best answers

You're back now Gord, that's the main thing and it's great to catch up again with your railway efforts.

Don't give up on those cheapo wagons. Take em apart, give the bodies a good wash and invest in an aerosol of Halfords grey primer. It's so easy to end up with a good finish, even I can do it. The grey is a nice representation of goods stock grey on it's own.

Keep up the good work mate - caring and railway wise. ;)

playmofire

Registered
23 Oct 2010
North Yorks
Best answers
Country flag

A fascinating and inspiring story, Gordon. It would certainly be of interest to other people, so may be a magazine article is the way to achieve that. Meanwhile, look forward to the continuing story

Nodrog1826

Professional Idiot
21 Nov 2013
United Kingdom
Best answers
Country flag

Well to continue, and this bit is slightly out of sinc....slightly

Jan 2012, my all singing all dancing digi Navigator broke down, so it was dispatched back to Germany for repairs.
398c2e3e7c1b4dfd81f5887ebc4622df.jpg

The worst time this could happen as it was my turn for the "Round Robin Boxcar" no digi and as the old 1 amp controller had been disposed of no power as well.
But there are ways and means.....So......
a236308b8465458182273c6f4cfc8ca9.jpg

f8ee75311a02406e86fb0ae0440c3fb7.jpg

d36612edf95c4a15a17eb01c3fcaebe7.jpg

9804ca884d27428e8fe0709fed5aa120.jpg

Even the obligatory vid as well.....with sound effects:rofl:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A0Er9koBbZ0

Nodrog1826

Professional Idiot
21 Nov 2013
United Kingdom
Best answers
Country flag

So having seen the Box Car on its way, and the commencement of the battery of hospital tests, some of which my body would not tollerate, so the more difficult and older style ones had to be done.
During which i was taken ill within the hospital, part way through one of them. Ironically i was more concerned about Swmbo than myself...what would happen if etc etc....
So HTO, Swmbo and a neighbour got together to set up a distraction from my woes, and set me a task.....
Railway work, no.......rather......
07ddfa44eb8e4e5a94b4b8c07c3f577e.jpg

Must admit it sort of worked, energies were put into other non railway projects, which indirectly would benefit the railway....

Nodrog1826

Professional Idiot
21 Nov 2013
United Kingdom
Best answers
Country flag

During this diversionary tactic time....my attention was returned to the garden, as in garden work not railway.....

But soon, with HTO providing the muscle power, attention returned to that wall.....we both had the same opinion, that someone was helping themselves to the supplies...
but had said nowt to each other ....so we had better make sure we used them first...
a9177667bfb84573b03a47541523f132.jpg

29c398d186dc4bd0813e7c2aac587127.jpg

323cc0ae945f4e16832bd2516f6f73d9.jpg

What with the glorious Summer, we didn't have this year, that's the end of outside progress for 2012...

New Haven Neil 2

Registered
24 May 2011
Isle of Man
Best answers

Now you're cooking mate, look at the progress there, all new stuff! :clap:

As an aside - taping floorboards, took us 10 years to learn that one in our old house - solid floors here though! Made a huge difference.

Eagerly awaiting the next installment.

Nodrog1826

Professional Idiot
21 Nov 2013
United Kingdom
Best answers
Country flag

Must admit Neil....

Done that for many a year, but i still miss the under floor air blast ripple effect on the carpet.....:D
Also miss the joys of re reading the old newspapers as well.....If you get my drift.....

Nodrog1826

Professional Idiot
21 Nov 2013
United Kingdom
Best answers
Country flag

Ok...To sort of bring things up to date....

The diagnosis was back in.....and now a challange for those who want to know....it wasnt the dreaded C word...
but, well if you take the first four letters of my name and do a search, you will find it. (For those who need a clue post 25)

Whilst it is not normally serious, in my case there are added complications, relating back to the damage to my throat in the fire of 1981, and because of that, i took longer to show any symptoms, so the additional damage is a problem i can well do without. But at least a treatment is now in place....

mike

Master at annoying..
Staff member
GSC Moderator
24 Oct 2009
Rossendale
www.gscalecentral.net
Best answers
Country flag

Nodrog1826 said:

The diagnosis was back in.....and now a challange for those who want to know....it wasnt the dreaded C word...
but, well if you take the first four letters of my name and do a search, you will find it. (For those who need a clue post 25)

Whilst it is not normally serious, in my case there are added complications, relating back to the damage to my throat in the fire of 1981, and because of that, i took longer to show any symptoms, so the additional damage is a problem i can well do without. But at least a treatment is now in place....
no dogs?

3Valve

Railways; Air cooled VW's; Soul Music
24 Oct 2009
Shropshire
Best answers
Country flag

mike said:
Nodrog1826 said:

no dogs?

[font="arial,helvetica,sans-serif"]Gastro-Oesophageal Reflux Disease[/font] - [font="arial,helvetica,sans-serif"]Where's my coconut?[/font]

[font="arial,helvetica,sans-serif"]Good to see you back Gordon and glad to hear that it wasn't the dreaded "C" word.[/font]

Nodrog1826

Professional Idiot
21 Nov 2013
United Kingdom
Best answers
Country flag

Yep....

But unless you can prove you didn't go back to Mels post for the clue then no coconut.....:D:rofl:

playmofire

Registered
23 Oct 2010
North Yorks
Best answers
Country flag

Glad to read the good news, Gordon

New Haven Neil 2

Registered
24 May 2011
Isle of Man
Best answers

Lansoprazole?

Big box of it here for Mrs NHN, would you believe.

Nodrog1826

Professional Idiot
21 Nov 2013
United Kingdom
Best answers
Country flag

Yep Neil.

Now on four times the dose i was on.......and they can no longer get the camera down.....to check my hernia, due to the damage.
The last attempt at that was not an experience i want to repeat, maximun sedation, and apparentley i fought six of them off.

(if thats too much info for here can a mod ammend it)

playmofire

Registered
23 Oct 2010
North Yorks
Best answers
Country flag

Well, qualified good news.

Nodrog1826

Professional Idiot
21 Nov 2013
United Kingdom
Best answers
Country flag

Medical issues aside......in this tale of the partially started railway and ill health saga....

This next section should bring things up to date...

Well three things happened at once.......HTO passed his driving test.:clap: We had a holiday, well a long weekend away.
and one of thoes other projects paid off, resulting in another windfall.
For other project read PPI, and whilst modisty prevents me from naming my former bank, its one of the ones that leave you to sort out the tax owed on the interest, a very un Co-Operative Bank.:rofl:

So the influx of cash once fees etc were paid came at the right time for us...

So whilst away i re visited a model shop and bought another one of those re paint project vehicles, and after a quick lesson from someone who's name i will not mention,
in order to prevent him getting embroiled in the argument that follows these items, with the aid of some stickers i had bought from Ebay, i tried my hand a spray paints.

I think the boy did good.......Silver bits BTW....
ad16ab8b7b33469ba465b3d615ef6981.jpg