Dual track bender

DGE-Railroad

The Orchard Line
26 Jan 2020
United Kingdom
Best answers
Country flag
Hi Darren,

Well, my printer was busy all day yesterday, but I'm pleased to report that I now have a totally unwarped PETG print. I'm happy now!
Here's my setup for your info - Creality Ender 5 printer fitted with a Micro-Swiss direct drive extruder and all-metal hotend. Creality glass bed fitted and that has a self-adhesive PEI sheet from Banggood stuck on it. The PEI sheet is then given two coats of Tesco 'value' hairspray. Bed temp set to 85C, hot end to 240C, with first layer at 245C. Print speed is 50mm/sec and layer height of 0.2mm. Ensure your first layer is getting a good 'squish'. I tried Pritt stick on the PEI - didn't work for me. NO print cooling used and when print is finished, allow bed to cool to ambient before removing it. I've also just reprinted a part for another model with which I had three warped prints previously and have now got a perfect print of that part, too.

regards

Gordon
Congratulations Gordon. That's a fantastic result. Perseverance clearly pays off! Thanks for sharing your settings, I'll be giving them a try!

I had been using Asda value hairspray on a glass sheet previously. Clearly I need to switch to Tesco! :p

I have to say I'm not too shocked that you ended up with your cooling off. That seemed to have the biggest effect on my results and was the first thing I was intending to dial back on my next attempt.

Fantastic work. When I change the filament out, I'll benchmark your settings on my printer and see what sort of results I get. I'll report back! :)

Gtarling

Registered
26 Aug 2019
Grantham
Best answers
Country flag
Congratulations Gordon. That's a fantastic result. Perseverance clearly pays off! Thanks for sharing your settings, I'll be giving them a try!

I had been using Asda value hairspray on a glass sheet previously. Clearly I need to switch to Tesco! :p

I have to say I'm not too shocked that you ended up with your cooling off. That seemed to have the biggest effect on my results and was the first thing I was intending to dial back on my next attempt.

Fantastic work. When I change the filament out, I'll benchmark your settings on my printer and see what sort of results I get. I'll report back! :)

Darren - I quite surprised myself at the good results! Can't imagine that Tesco's hairspray is much different to Asda's, but you never know. BTW, the PEI sheets I bought from Ebay, not Banggood, as I said previously - can supply a link if you need me to. Forgot to mention that the PETG filament was bought from CPC and is the 'Multicomp' brand, if that makes any difference. I buy most of my filament from CPC, as it's consistent quality and very reasonably priced. The remainder of the hardware for the track bender just arrived, so I'll post a pic when it's all together. Good luck with your printing efforts!

Reactions: 1 user

DGE-Railroad

The Orchard Line
26 Jan 2020
United Kingdom
Best answers
Country flag
Put on some black PETG yesterday because I wanted to try printing this again with my PEI plate.

It came out absolutely perfectly this time, with no warping. That was with last times settings and thr added security of some basics hairspray on the print sheet 20201129_092207.jpg
20201129_090810.jpg

FatherMcD

Registered
13 Mar 2014
Idaho
Country
United-States
Best answers
Country flag
Ah... You may have hit on something there Greg. I've only used it on a single long piece of track.
I don't think it would clear the joiners on joined track. I'll give it a try and see though :)
I recognize that this thread is a bit old, but were you ever able to try the rail bender over the joiners?

JimmyB

Now retired - trains and fishing
23 Feb 2018
Weston-super-Mare
www.tumble-down-falls.co.uk
Best answers
Country flag
I have tried the one I have, and it will NOT traverse over rail joiners.