Developments on the PLR

ge_rik

British narrow gauge (esp. Southwold and W&LLR)
24 Oct 2009
Cheshire
www.riksrailway.blogspot.com
Best answers
Country flag
It's been a while since I've posted anything about developments on the PLR. A series of events have prevented me from engaging fully with hobby. However, I have been quietly beavering away in the background and so have reached the stage where I have several 3D printed models queuing for the paint-shop.

Firstly, a couple of variants of the Southwold Cleminson six- wheeled wagon.
IMG_2687.JPG

IMG_2688.JPG

I'm now more or less happy with the design of this (after several trials and tribulations).

Rik

Reactions: 1 user

ge_rik

24 Oct 2009
Cheshire
Best answers
Country flag
I'm now more or less happy with the design of the Southwold six-wheeled coach. Not a perfect representation but I needed to ensure it could cope with the curves and undulations of an actual garden railway layout. This is the third coach to complete my rake and each one has resulted in a tweak or two and what I hope is an improvement in the design. This still requires a bit more work before it's ready for the paint shop.
IMG_2692.JPG

Rik

ge_rik

24 Oct 2009
Cheshire
Best answers
Country flag
I've also now rescaled most of my 0-16.5 GVT stock to 16mm (and I'm working on 15mm versions as well).
IMG_2685.JPG

IMG_2681.JPG

IMG_2680.JPG

IMG_2678.JPG

Rik

ge_rik

24 Oct 2009
Cheshire
Best answers
Country flag
I've also reworked the County Donegal luggage van which was a bit underscale - it was based on just one photo of a grounded body. The Museum in Londonderry which houses one of the vans kindly sent me the key dimensions and so I've now produced a better scaled version of the van.
IMG_2683.JPG

Rik

ge_rik

24 Oct 2009
Cheshire
Best answers
Country flag
And finally, Dean from DesignScanPrint3D came over and scanned in a few friends from the dramatic society wearing 1920s/30s/40s outfits and he's sent me the first batch of figures. A bit spooky having friends (and me) waiting on the platforms.
IMG_2693.JPG

IMG_2694.JPG

IMG_2695.JPGIMG_2698.JPGIMG_2697.JPGIMG_2696.JPG

Rik

Reactions: 1 users

PhilP

G Scale, 7/8th's, Electronics
5 Jun 2013
Nottingham
Best answers
Country flag
I do like that closed GVT coach..

I could see it sitting, partially overgrown, in the corner of a garden somewhere..
A wisp of steam, as a kettle came to the boil..
:):inlove::inlove::inlove:

PhilP

Rhinochugger

Retired Oik
27 Oct 2009
North West Norfolk
Best answers
Country flag
From memory of photos in the Middleton Press book, if you're going full Southwold, you also need lots of luggage for the platforms, including hat boxes !!

dunnyrail

DOGS, Garden Railways, Steam Trains, Jive Dancing,
Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
St.Neots Cambridgeshire UK
Best answers
Country flag
I can see that you have certainly got to grips with the dastardly 3D printing. I guess once you made the decision to jump making best of the investment focused your mind. Great jobs.

ge_rik

24 Oct 2009
Cheshire
Best answers
Country flag
I can see that you have certainly got to grips with the dastardly 3D printing. I guess once you made the decision to jump making best of the investment focused your mind. Great jobs.
I've certainly enjoyed the challenge of scratch-building on screen with TinkerCAD. I tried other drawing packages but struggled to get them to work in the way I wanted. Tinkercad was a lot more intuitive for me - very much like my bodgelling efforts but with virtual chunks of plastic.

Rik

ge_rik

24 Oct 2009
Cheshire
Best answers
Country flag
The most recent addition to the roster to emerge from the PLR workshops - GVT Glyn rescaled from 0-16.5 to 15mm. Needs a bit of tidying and a few more tweaks before entering the paint shop. 3x 18650 li-ions on order and a Micron MR603 is ready for installation but will have to sell some old stock to fund a MLS soundcard.

IMG_20220701_182122_756.jpgIMG_20220701_182128_517.jpgIMG_20220701_182135_952.jpgIMG_20220701_182151_971.jpg

Quite pleased with the outcome so far

Rik

Reactions: 1 users

Rhinochugger

Retired Oik
27 Oct 2009
North West Norfolk
Best answers
Country flag
The most recent addition to the roster to emerge from the PLR workshops - GVT Glyn rescaled from 0-16.5 to 15mm. Needs a bit of tidying and a few more tweaks before entering the paint shop. 3x 18650 li-ions on order and a Micron MR603 is ready for installation but will have to sell some old stock to fund a MLS soundcard.

View attachment 300981View attachment 300982View attachment 300983View attachment 300984

Quite pleased with the outcome so far

Rik
You've got some explaining to do when it fall between the rails at Halesowen ;);)

ge_rik

24 Oct 2009
Cheshire
Best answers
Country flag
You've got some explaining to do when it fall between the rails at Halesowen ;);)
I think you mean Halesworth - but I really like the visual image it conjures up. I can just see it being depicted in one of those old comic postcards ....

s-l400.jpg

Rik

dunnyrail

Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
Best answers
Country flag
I think you mean Halesworth - but I really like the visual image it conjures up. I can just see it being depicted in one of those old comic postcards ....

View attachment 301045

Rik
Hm yes I did wonder where Halesowen came into the equasion.

Rhinochugger

Retired Oik
27 Oct 2009
North West Norfolk
Best answers
Country flag

ge_rik

24 Oct 2009
Cheshire
Best answers
Country flag
It's taken a while, but the loco is now more or less finished. A bit more detailing and she'll need a bit more weight. I think I may have to raise her up from the track by a few mm - although the height of the skirt above the rail is prototypical, my track isn't. I'm really pleased with the Micron MR603 receiver. Very fine control , maybe even more so than its Deltang predecessor. I've made a video which I'll post in due course.

IMG_2773.JPGIMG_2772.JPGIMG_2771.JPGIMG_2775.JPGIMG_2774.JPG

Rik

Reactions: 2 users

Ralphmp

Registered
6 Jan 2010
Herts
Country
England
Best answers
Country flag
Looks good. To the uninitiated like me, what was the purpose of the skirts on the original loco?

dunnyrail

Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
Best answers
Country flag
Looks good. To the uninitiated like me, what was the purpose of the skirts on the original loco?
The early U.K. Tramways acts that allowed Steam Trams to run on the road mandated among other things that the motion must not be seen. Thus the skirts, some railways ignored it and notably one in Ireland only had skirts one side as the other side was to fence and fields.

ge_rik

24 Oct 2009
Cheshire
Best answers
Country flag
Interesting question. Because the Glyn Valley ran for most of its length on the verge of a road it was designated as a tramway. The laws at the time insisted that steam powered tram locos had to have their motion covered to ensure it didn't frighten horses. In addition, they had to have condensing apparatus to limit the amount of steam which escaped and they were equipped with a bell which could be rung as a steam whistle was considered a risk to horses. The locos were also required to run in reverse so the driver would have an uninterrupted view of the route ahead. As a consequence, there is some discussion as to whether the locos should be regarded as 0-4-2T or 2-4-0T.

My loco represents the later guise after the condensing apparatus had been removed. It was found to adversely affect the locos performance and horses were quite oblivious to the difference it made.

Rik