Greetings - G scale or not?

andrewgiffen

Registered
13 Sep 2022
UK
Best answers
Country flag
Hi all,

I remember back in 1999 visiting a live steam club in Essex, UK (Canvey Island), and just standing at the steaming bays, mesmerised by a 3.5" gauge loco being steamed up, and not quite able to believe that such beautiful models existed. I think it appealed to all my senses, the burning fire, the coal smoke, the oil, and the mechanical motion, and I thought at the time that such things were strictly only for the rich. I took out a £2k loan and managed to purchase a live steamer, and it's given unmeasurable pleasure, with trials and tribulations, over the years, and always on a budget!

But the live steam "ride-on" scales led indirectly to building 1:24 scale models on 45mm gauge, so nominally G scale. That started about 5 years ago, and my vague childhood memories and nostalgia directed it all to South/ Southern African types. Around that time, finances allowed me to spend more time on the hobby, and discovering the delights of 3D CAD really got me going with designs. I liked, and still do like, the pioneering nature of scratch building these prototypes in this scale, as they're all likely to be firsts in the world of modelling.

I know Facebook can be a time black hole, but it has also been absolutely peerless in sharing the interest, so all those years ago I used it as a workshop blog of sorts, and yes, it did serve to bring commissions my way, all of which then allowed me to dedicate more time to it, a virtuous cycle I think! I'm building my third garratt design now, the huge East African class 59. I have always tried to put in as much detail as possible, and for these, my goal was to improve on the Bassett-Lowke model in the Nairobi museum, albeit a different scale.

1:24 is presumably one of the many guises of the inclusive G scale, but in parallel to my efforts, several talented builders in South Africa have effectively made it a scale category in its own right, and called it Cape Gauge One (CG1). It feels like it deserves its own space, as it aims for the detail and realism of gauge one, but in the larger scale.

The EAR garratts "should" of course be the slightly larger LGB scale of 1:22.5, being metre gauge engines, so this was a slight compromise to bring them into the CG1 fold, where there is a significant choice of commercial rolling stock from the crew in SA, plus the fixed wheelbases and loading gauge on these models are already a bit of a squeeze on gauge one tracks, so I think it's a wise choice.

Anyway, I'll attach a few photos.
cheers,
Andy, Lincs UK

Attachments

• IMG_20220909_152423.jpg
    IMG_20220909_152423.jpg
    365.7 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_20220912_115530.jpg
    IMG_20220912_115530.jpg
    464.6 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG20220912121734.jpg
    IMG20220912121734.jpg
    261.9 KB · Views: 0
Reactions: 1 user

Henri

refuses to grow up
6 May 2016
Hoeksche Waard - Netherlands
Best answers
Country flag
Actually I really don't care if 'G scale' or not, I see incredible crafted models which I can admire! What a level of detail!! And 'straight' (this is translated from Dutch, don't know if you say that in English regarding modelling?)

PhilP

G Scale, 7/8th's, Electronics
5 Jun 2013
Nottingham
Best answers
Country flag
Welcome to the Forum, Andy!

You will find one or two people on here, who quite like Garrett.. :nod: :giggle:

Have you come across Resurgam Rolling Stock?
Not sure how it would match your CG1 models for scale though?

Please post some more!

PhilP

JimmyB

Now retired - trains and fishing
23 Feb 2018
Weston-super-Mare
www.tumble-down-falls.co.uk
Best answers
Country flag
Andy welcome to the forum, we do love to see photos of the members models and their railways, so please post more photos. A word of warning though, the humour and puns on the forum can be dire, you have been warned ;)

DafyddElvy

1:22.5 & 15mm Scale Trams, , NG Steam Railways
10 Feb 2021
West Lothian
Country
Scotland
Best answers
Country flag
Andy welcome to the forum, we do love to see photos of the members models and their railways, so please post more photos. A word of warning though, the humour and puns on the forum can be dire, you have been warned ;)
And threads can drift, oh boy can they drift, some of the humour can be cringe worthy, but you'll not find a better bunch of folk who will offer non critical advice and help, that's what I've found anyhow.

maxi-model

UK/US/ROW steam narrow gauge railways 1:1
27 Oct 2009
Bucks/Oxon/Northants area
Best answers
Country flag

You will find one or two people on here, who quite like Garrett.. :nod: :giggle:

Please post some more!

PhilP
Resurgam are 16 mm scale (1:19.3). I have a few of their SAR products. Very fine examples of the laser cutter's design skills. It helps that the maker is a fireman on the WHR, home of the NG/G16 beasts and an NG/G15 Mikado under overhaul, not to mention various ex SAR stock. Bowater Models might have something, they dabbled in 16 mm scale SAR locos and stock and have ventured into 10 mm scale Lovely work there. Max

Paul M

Registered
25 Oct 2016
Royston
Best answers
Country flag
Welcome to the forum Andy. Have you checked out Tterrag Shed on Utube?

Paradise

Registered
28 Jan 2010
Back Yard
Country
Australia
Best answers
Country flag
And threads can drift, oh boy can they drift, some of the humour can be cringe worthy, but you'll not find a better bunch of folk who will offer non critical advice and help, that's what I've found anyhow.

I haven't seen Fred Drift on here for quite some time now. I wonder how he is going? :think:
Welcome aboard Andy. Oh, and we like pictures. Lots of pictures... :happy:

TTaannggss

Hates T.P.& r1Cur. Retired for 3 after 40 in Hosp.
29 Jan 2022
Sarnia
Best answers
Country flag
Welcome to the forum Andy. I hope it swings your way.

andrewgiffen

Registered
13 Sep 2022
UK
Best answers
Country flag
Thanks for the warm welcome!
Ah photos... I have a few. Prepare to be inundated.
Yesterday I finished the boiler cradles for these new garratts, so once the paint was a bit past tacky, I had to sling one between engine units, thus creating a 1.2 metre long garratt for the first time. Then of course I had to balance the boiler on, to sit back and have a look.

These cradles went together very smoothly, like an Airfix kit, so I now have 2 main priorities for the show on the 1st: getting boiler shells and cabs on, albeit without detail, and making sturdy and safe boxes to transport them in! Long weekend!

I'll start a new thread later with pics of the previous 1:24 scale models that led to these. These are the 7th, 8th and 9th garratts I've built so far, with 2 16mm scale Sierra Leone railway ones on the way next year.

Attachments

• IMG20220916161243.jpg
    IMG20220916161243.jpg
    334.2 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_20220916_162049.jpg
    IMG_20220916_162049.jpg
    384.3 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_20220916_162125.jpg
    IMG_20220916_162125.jpg
    328.8 KB · Views: 0

PhilP

G Scale, 7/8th's, Electronics
5 Jun 2013
Nottingham
Best answers
Country flag
Oh, to have the skill and ability!

So which show on the 1st? I may well have to make a pilgrimage..
:) :nod:

PhilP

andrewgiffen

Registered
13 Sep 2022
UK
Best answers
Country flag
Hi Phil, it's the G1mra 75th anniversary show at Bicester Heritage centre, 1st and 2nd October

andrewgiffen

Registered
13 Sep 2022
UK
Best answers
Country flag

Please post some more!

PhilP
I do know David and I have two of his 16mm scale carriages on my shelf! I can imagine he would consider 1:24 scale production, but I think the scale would have to develop a bit to justify his time in that direction.

stevedenver

Registered
24 Oct 2009
Best answers
Country flag
Welcome Andy!
youve found the nicest place for enthusiastic, knowledgeable,train loving odd Ducks…lol.

dunnyrail

DOGS, Garden Railways, Steam Trains, Jive Dancing,
Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
St.Neots Cambridgeshire UK
Best answers
Country flag
Welcome to the Forum Andrew, G is indeed a large Church scale wise. But if you wish keep showing us superb SAR locs and Garretts please keep on.