dunnyrail

DOGS, Garden Railways, Steam Trains, Jive Dancing,
Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
St.Neots Cambridgeshire UK
Best answers
Country flag
Interesting question. Because the Glyn Valley ran for most of its length on the verge of a road it was designated as a tramway. The laws at the time insisted that steam powered tram locos had to have their motion covered to ensure it didn't frighten horses. In addition, they had to have condensing apparatus to limit the amount of steam which escaped and they were equipped with a bell which could be rung as a steam whistle was considered a risk to horses. The locos were also required to run in reverse so the driver would have an uninterrupted view of the route ahead. As a consequence, there is some discussion as to whether the locos should be regarded as 0-4-2T or 2-4-0T.

My loco represents the later guise after the condensing apparatus had been removed. It was found to adversely affect the locos performance and horses were quite oblivious to the difference it made.

Rik
Indeed so, but you explained much more.

Ralphmp

Registered
6 Jan 2010
Herts
Country
England
Best answers
Country flag
Looks like Jon"s and my posts have overlapped

Rik
I’m grateful for the explanation. Presumably it was legislation that influenced the “Toby the Tram” style locos as well?

Steve Manners

Registered
2 Nov 2019
Hull
Best answers
Country flag
It's been a while since I've posted anything about developments on the PLR. A series of events have prevented me from engaging fully with hobby. However, I have been quietly beavering away in the background and so have reached the stage where I have several 3D printed models queuing for the paint-shop.

Firstly, a couple of variants of the Southwold Cleminson six- wheeled wagon.
IMG_2687.JPG

IMG_2688.JPG

I'm now more or less happy with the design of this (after several trials and tribulations).

Rik
Just brilliant, love the people!

PhilP

G Scale, 7/8th's, Electronics
5 Jun 2013
Nottingham
Best answers
Country flag
Definitely needs a 'voice'..

PhilP

ge_rik

British narrow gauge (esp. Southwold and W&LLR)
24 Oct 2009
Cheshire
www.riksrailway.blogspot.com
Best answers
Country flag
Definitely needs a 'voice'..

PhilP
Yes - my thinking too. I'll have to sell off some surplus stock first to rustle up the funds.

Rik

Paul M

Registered
25 Oct 2016
Royston
Best answers
Country flag
I’m grateful for the explanation. Presumably it was legislation that influenced the “Toby the Tram” style locos as well?
Yes, the Wisbech and Upwell Railway also ran along side the road for a lot of its route, the prototype of the railway that Toby was bought from

Chris Vernell

Tortoise
24 Oct 2009
Nepean, ON
Country
Canada
Best answers
Country flag
Yes, the Wisbech and Upwell Railway also ran along side the road for a lot of its route, the prototype of the railway that Toby was bought from
IIRC, the GE tram locos were also employed on dock lines laid in the street. The skirts protected the motion from stray objects, or vice versa.

ge_rik

British narrow gauge (esp. Southwold and W&LLR)
24 Oct 2009
Cheshire
www.riksrailway.blogspot.com
Best answers
Country flag
IIRC, the GE tram locos were also employed on dock lines laid in the street. The skirts protected the motion from stray objects, or vice versa.
I well remember the dockside railway in Great Yarmouth when I was a kid. However, in my day (mid to late 50s), it was a Drewry shunter rather than a Y6.

Rik

dunnyrail

Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
Best answers
Country flag
I well remember the dockside railway in Great Yarmouth when I was a kid. However, in my day (mid to late 50s), it was a Drewry shunter rather than a Y6.

Rik
Some of the Diesels used to shunt the Quays also worked the WnU. There were 4 wheel and 6 wheel diesel shunters with skirts.

Rhinochugger

Retired Oik
27 Oct 2009
North West Norfolk
Best answers
Country flag
Yes, they were actual BR (Eastern Region) locos; they may have been built in LNER days (sharrafter check), and apart from some dockside workings, some of them went to the Wisbech and Upwell tramway which was a roadside line. Some Hunslet diesel 0-6-0s were similarly fitted with skirts and cowcatchers for the latter days of the line.

There are a few good books and the W&U which are worth getting from the library if you can.

There is an oddity here - not all tramways were roadside lines - the Selsey Tram (The Hundred of Manhood and Selsey Tramway) did no roadside running and thus none of its locos or railbuses had skirts.

Reactions: 1 user

Ralphmp

Registered
6 Jan 2010
Herts
Country
England
Best answers
Country flag
Yes, they were actual BR (Eastern Region) locos; they may have been built in LNER days (sharrafter check), and apart from some dockside workings, some of them went to the Wisbech and Upwell tramway which was a roadside line. Some Hunslet diesel 0-6-0s were similarly fitted with skirts and cowcatchers for the latter days of the line.

There are a few good books and the W&U which are worth getting from the library if you can.

There is an oddity here - not all tramways were roadside lines - the Selsey Tram (The Hundred of Manhood and Selsey Tramway) did no roadside running and thus none of its locos or railbuses had skirts.
Interesting. Found this (attributable to H Coates and Sons, Wisbech) -

1658317899806.jpeg

Maybe the side skirts were optional? Anyway, I see the connection with Toby so thanks again for the info.

Neil Robinson

Registered
24 Oct 2009
N W Leicestershire
Best answers
Country flag
Maybe the side skirts were optional? Anyway, I see the connection with Toby so thanks again for the info.
My guess is that the side skirts were a bit of a pain when it came to oiling round. Maybe the crews "forgot" to replace them unless there was a chance of an inspector's visit!

Rhinochugger

Retired Oik
27 Oct 2009
North West Norfolk
Best answers
Country flag

View attachment 301731

Probably removed by that time - they fell off, guv, honest ;);)

But what a picture, what a story :clap::clap:

Rhinochugger

Retired Oik
27 Oct 2009
North West Norfolk
Best answers
Country flag

Rik
Interestingly, the Weymouth Harbour branch doesn't ever seem to have been worked by a loco with skirts :think::think:

Rhinochugger

Retired Oik
27 Oct 2009
North West Norfolk
Best answers
Country flag
Possibly because it was a railway rather than a tramway
Yebbut, it went through the streets, and was latterly worked by ex-GWR pannier tanks as well as BR (SR) Crompton diesels

dunnyrail

Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
Best answers
Country flag

View attachment 301731

They had the skirts taken off from time to time and certainly when working on the main line to Stratford Works. There are certainly pics on the WnU sans skirts, perhaps they ‘forgot’ to refit untill some kind of authority was around to put the bad boys in place!

Chris Vernell

Tortoise
24 Oct 2009
Nepean, ON
Country
Canada
Best answers
Country flag
Yebbut, it went through the streets, and was latterly worked by ex-GWR pannier tanks as well as BR (SR) Crompton diesels
Duck would never wear a skirt! Donald and Douglas OTOH ... (not that they ever did, IIRC)
I seem to remember that Thomas (in the books) was ticketed by a policeman for not wearing skirts on the Ffarquhar Quarry line, so Toby was brought up to work it.
I was thinking that on the Weymouth branch, as a railway within the meaning of the act, skirts might not have been required as they were on assorted light railways, even though it ran through the streets. I don't remember seeing any photos of GW dock tanks with skirts, either.

Rhinochugger

Retired Oik
27 Oct 2009
North West Norfolk
Best answers
Country flag
Duck would never wear a skirt! Donald and Douglas OTOH ... (not that they ever did, IIRC)
I seem to remember that Thomas (in the books) was ticketed by a policeman for not wearing skirts on the Ffarquhar Quarry line, so Toby was brought up to work it.
I was thinking that on the Weymouth branch, as a railway within the meaning of the act, skirts might not have been required as they were on assorted light railways, even though it ran through the streets. I don't remember seeing any photos of GW dock tanks with skirts, either.
Yeah. some of the Bristol dock lines ran through the streets - but were they under the jurisdiction of the Port ? Certainly the Bristol Docks Authority covered quite a large area :nod::nod:

That's set the hares running >:)