Decoder placing in Piko 218/199 etc

DRG11

Registered
14 May 2011
Roman City of Bath
Best answers
Country flag
Hi all,

Possibly a silly question but here goes ....

... any suggestions on where to put a massoth xls decoder in the loco (piko 218/199 etc) as in the middle we have a large hole where the fuel tank is and the speaker sits in here,
would a frame be better to put the decoder onto ?,

any help please

many thanks

ebay mike

Retired, but still hoarding. (GOF)
6 Dec 2011
Norfolk - edge of nowhere.
Best answers
Country flag
From memory the last PIKO Taurus I put a chip in had some mounting holes in the chassis above the motor bogie. Is there not something similar in the 218 & 199? I saved the 'grilled' recess for a speaker which I mounted in a drawing pin tub to add some depth to the sound. Just remembered I have a photo somewhere. Here it is.
P1040932.JPG

DRG11

Registered
14 May 2011
Roman City of Bath
Best answers
Country flag
Hi Mike,

Thankyou for the photo, yes there are 4 point just to one side of the fuel tank/speaker hole,

I take it you drilled some holes in the side of the decoder to secure it ? as it only just fits over the 4 points,

The idea of putting the speaker into a drawing pin tub for better sound is a very good idea.

Cheers

D

Deleted member 4232

Moved

Last edited by a moderator:

PhilP

G Scale, 7/8th's, Electronics
5 Jun 2013
Nottingham
Best answers
Country flag
Hi Mike,

Thankyou for the photo, yes there are 4 point just to one side of the fuel tank/speaker hole,

I take it you drilled some holes in the side of the decoder to secure it ? as it only just fits over the 4 points,

The idea of putting the speaker into a drawing pin tub for better sound is a very good idea.

Cheers

I would cut a rectangle of Plasticard, and mount that using the provided points in the loco.. Then mount the decoder to that. - It would give a little more clearance for the wires, at one end of the decoder.

PhilP.

Zerogee

Clencher's Bogleman
25 Oct 2009
North Essex
Best answers
Country flag
I would cut a rectangle of Plasticard, and mount that using the provided points in the loco.. Then mount the decoder to that. - It would give a little more clearance for the wires, at one end of the decoder.

PhilP.

For fixing decoders to whatever base or platform you choose (such as the plasticard that Phil suggests), I use the very thick and VERY sticky double-sided foam pads that are sold for holding number plates on cars - they stick like the proverbial to a blanket, and also give you good electrical insulation if you're mounting the decoder onto something conductive like a ballast weight....

Jon.