Coming back to G Scale

G SCALE JASON

Registered
5 Sep 2019
Berkshire
Best answers
Country flag
Hi my name is Jason and i am based in the UK and after over a decade away from the hobby my passion has been reignited.

It started with the sad passing of my dad back at the begining of the year and the question of what to do with his G Scale Garden Railway.

It had seen more than a years worth of neglect and was no longer in a condition to run trains on so our first thoughts were to lift the railway and sell everything up.

Then things stoped as i was not ready to tackle this job with all the memories of dad being all mixed up with the railway.

I knew i had to do something so i did eventually begin to start lifting up the track and sorting out some boxes for the stock.

It was at this point that i came across his live steam engine and his modifications he had made to it over the years and decided i would keep this engine and look at laying a small test track to enable the occasional steam up.

I then had a small health issue myself and while off work i found my self thinking more and more about the railway and even sketcked out the odd layout or two and finding the emotions of just sitting out in the garden watching the trains roll by and how relaxing that was starting to grab hold.

So i knew the G Scale bug and bitten me once again and i wanted to rebuild my dads railway to enjoy this hobby once again.

After speaking to my mum about this and getting her blessing to take over not only the railway but the garden and build a new garden railway it was full steam ahead.

I spent my first day out in the garden yesterday just placing track around the garden as i looked to see what did and didnt work or look right and getting a rough idea of what i wanted to do.

I even rebuilt the raised sidings area to such a point that i was able to dig out a small shunter and run it back and foruth a few times while rasing a freshly brewed mug of tea as a tost to the old man.

Luckliy we all live fairly close to each other so getting across to my mums to build, run and maintain the railway is no trouble at all and i plan on having a running session at least a couple of times a month, if not more if work and weather allow.

I now can't wait to get stuck in with the rebuild and get some trains running so i can get back to sitting down and enjoying watching trains roll on by.

I do plan on taking pictures and videos of how things are going which i hope to share with fellow G Scalers if thats ok.

Thanks.

Jason.

Reactions: 1 user

G SCALE JASON

Registered
5 Sep 2019
Berkshire
Best answers
Country flag
DORCHESTER REBUILD.jpeg

Me after the very first run on the only bit of working track on the Dorchester Garden Railway !

Reactions: 1 users

Gizzy

A gentleman, a scholar, and a railway modeller....
26 Oct 2009
Cambridgeshire
www.gscalecentral.net
Best answers
Country flag
Welcome Jason. Sorry to hear about your father.

I lost my Dad 18 months ago, and I too have a corner on my railway as a memorial to him, Pip's junction....

Zerogee

Clencher's Bogleman
25 Oct 2009
North Essex
Best answers
Country flag
Welcome back to G, Jason! :)

Jon.

PhilP

G Scale, 7/8th's, Electronics
5 Jun 2013
Nottingham
Best answers
Country flag
Welcome back to G scale..

It would appear the 'new' (working) section passes the 'smile-test'? :):nod::nod:

Madman

Registered
25 Oct 2009
Pennsylvania, USA
Best answers
Country flag
Great to hear your story, Jason. I have often thought about what my family would do with my trains when I go to that great railway in the sky. Since almost all of my stuff has been modified to run on battery power and each loco has it's own idiosyncrasy, I thought it would be a good idea if I created an operators manual for each, with photos and instructions.

This way, if they keep or sell them at least the end user would have a head start.

My apology for hijacking your thread, but it seemed like a good place to insert the thoughts.

idlemarvel

Neither idle nor a marvel
13 Jul 2015
Ascot
Country
Mars
Best answers
Country flag
Although for very sad reasons, it must be good to have a head start and full permissions, and I'm sure your being around regularly and maintaining the garden (I guess that is part of the quid pro quo!) will help your mum as well. Best wishes for a successful project and much enjoyment from it.

Rhinochugger

Retired Oik
27 Oct 2009
North West Norfolk
Best answers
Country flag
G scale's a good place to come back to :nod::nod::nod::nod::nod:

Hutch

G Gauge, Raising Peaches, Apricots
1 Feb 2012
Southwest Oklahoma, USA
Best answers
As many have said,

Welcome!

---Hutch

mike

Master at annoying..
Staff member
GSC Moderator
24 Oct 2009
Rossendale
www.gscalecentral.net
Best answers
Country flag
Welcome back Jason,
You don't have to be mad to be here, but it helps,

phils2um

Phil S
11 Sep 2015
Ann Arbor, Michigan
Country
United-States
Best answers
Country flag
Let me add my best wishes too. Once bitten, the bite mark swells and itches like mad!

JimmyB

Now retired - trains and fishing
23 Feb 2018
Weston-super-Mare
www.tumble-down-falls.co.uk
Best answers
Country flag
Jason welcome from me as well, I believe somebody has already mentioned the madness here :)

PhilP

G Scale, 7/8th's, Electronics
5 Jun 2013
Nottingham
Best answers
Country flag
Jason welcome from me as well, I believe somebody has already mentioned the madness here :)

It's alright.. I checked the Forum Rooles..
There ain't no Sanity-Clause! :giggle::giggle::giggle:

G SCALE JASON

Registered
5 Sep 2019
Berkshire
Best answers
Country flag
Thanks chaps for the very warm welcome, forgotten just how firendly this little community is.

I have got some pictures and such ready to post and will sort them out sooner rather than later.

I spent far to much time just running that shunter with various goods wagons back and forth over the raised sidings section and i could see the rather bemused look from my mum that she often gave my dad when he was down the bottom of the garden just seemingly messing about !!!!

Luckly my wife is a very keen gardener and has offered to help with moving and re arranging the plants to help work with the new railway which my mum is very happy about.

I was originally going to rebuild what my dad had been working on but after sitting down and thinking about it i decided to build a new version based off some ideas, drawings and dreams i had always wanted to try when i had my own railway but never had the space or budget to do so.

I have already suffered my first setback with the rebuild as i have ruptured a knee ligiment while building a new wall and fence back at my house and as such i wont be able to use my remaining days off from work to get any more track laying done !

Thankfully i always envisoned this as a long term project and as i am not building it for anyone else but for my own enjoyment i can just sit back and take my time.

Jason.

G SCALE JASON

Registered
5 Sep 2019
Berkshire
Best answers
Country flag
Ok as I am getting lazy in my old age I have thrown all the pictures together as a short video and posted it up on the internet webs

It’s not brilliant but it’s a start and at least shows you all where I am starting from on this rebuild.

Thanks.

Jason.