Coal fired Lady Annette

thumper

Live Steam, Gardening, Golf, Grand Children and Ro
22 Jan 2010
Livonia, Michigan, USA
Best answers
Here's the link to a video shot by a good friend, Tom Myers. I'm the guy in the red apron.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J9o6-36tn90

I like my Annette so much I could be a sales rep for Sabre Steam [No, I'm not hawking for a job!].

My review, including photos is now in the very capable hands of Ron Brown, publisher of Steam in the Garden.

Regards,

Will Lindley

casey jones snr

Registered
20 Apr 2010
Charnwood Forest Railway. Rothley. Leics.
Country
England
Best answers
Country flag
A very illuminating topic. We run live steam on the CFR most Sundays, over the last year we have only had one coal fired visitor. More would be welcome.

thumper

22 Jan 2010
Livonia, Michigan, USA
Best answers
Re:Coal fired Lady Annette - Video

Below is a link to a video showing two short clips of David Cooper's Sabre Steam Annette at the Durand Railroad Days May 16, 2010.

I hope you enjoy the video.

Regards,

Will

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ONTIiAcGfso

thumper

22 Jan 2010
Livonia, Michigan, USA
Best answers

Andy, I can't imagine you will be disappointed. Also, when you get your Annabelle, think about getting a Roundhouse Fowler tender to go with it. After all, you do need someplace to carry coal and the Fowler tender looks good behind the Billy!

Anticipation is only the beginning.

Regards,

Will

scaleandy

Registered
4 Feb 2010
Yarra Valley, Victoria Australia
Best answers

Dear Thumper,

Brilliant idea re the tender, I haven't seen a Fowler for sometime, so wasn't sure how that tender would look. We'll have one of those underway directly.

tagorton

Registered
24 Oct 2009
Cornwall
Best answers
thumper said:
[h2]OOPS![/h2] When I saw the first message, I jumped to the conclusion that Tag had written a review of Sabre Steam's Annette. The mistake was mine.

Sorry,

Will

Well he has now....

Tag

scaleandy

Registered
4 Feb 2010
Best answers

Dear Tag,

Enlightening review on the Annette. I really enjoyed it, in fact I've read it several times already! Some excellent suggestions by the way.

Dear David,

It's alright mate, I'm quite happy to wait a handful of weeks (call me pessimistic, but you've buckleys hope with your time on). It gives me a chance to sort out a tender, source coal and review my loco 'pit' area.

Having said that, perhaps the more experienced firemen here might have some advice on what one needs for a coal fired 'pit' area?

tagorton

Registered
24 Oct 2009
Cornwall
Best answers

scaleandy said:
Dear Tag,

Enlightening review on the Annette. I really enjoyed it, in fact I've read it several times already! Some excellent suggestions by the way.

Dear David,

It's alright mate, I'm quite happy to wait a handful of weeks (call me pessimistic, but you've buckleys hope with your time on). It gives me a chance to sort out a tender, source coal and review my loco 'pit' area.

Having said that, perhaps the more experienced firemen here might have some advice on what one needs for a coal fired 'pit' area?

Glad you liked it. There is a fairly big article coming up in GR 192. I don't write many articles these days, but as you know coal-firing in these small gauges is one of my major interests and so I thought I would give it a bash... The two enclosed pics are of the current LWR coal-fired stud ? with one more due to arrive (in kit form) hopefully in July..
7cf2b88b7c80442ba4431d4b14b1f0a2.jpg
2e3cb00b04184385a15f89aea63966bc.jpg

Bestest

Tag

scaleandy

Registered
4 Feb 2010
Best answers

Dear Tag,

Thank you for posting those photos, lovely locos, they look part, well worked and cared for. Perhaps there could be a way of 'smoothing' my expected delivery time from Sabresteam??

:)

tagorton

Registered
24 Oct 2009
Cornwall
Best answers

scaleandy said:
Dear Tag,

Thank you for posting those photos, lovely locos, they look part, well worked and cared for. Perhaps there could be a way of 'smoothing' my expected delivery time from Sabresteam??

Not sure what you mean Andy... Mind you the delivery time on my Fowler was two and a half years so I doubt you would get quicker than Sabre..

brianthesnail96

Registered
25 Oct 2009
Gloucesterestershire
Best answers

DJB conversion of an Edrig, Danny. It's a really lovely little loco, Tag assures me it goes as well as it looks.

scaleandy

Registered
4 Feb 2010
Best answers

Dear Tag,

I was only jesting (rather stupidly) about David's delivery time. In fact if it was ready any sooner I wouldn't have the funds saved for it. Having said that, taunting me with lovely coal fired loco photos isn't helping my patience deficiency syndrome at all.

tagorton

Registered
24 Oct 2009
Cornwall
Best answers

scaleandy said:
Dear Tag,

I was only jesting (rather stupidly) about David's delivery time. In fact if it was ready any sooner I wouldn't have the funds saved for it.

Know that one. Am waiting for cheques in to cover cheques out... In fact I hope my new one is a couple of weeks late!

scaleandy

Registered
4 Feb 2010
Best answers

Dear fellow coal sniffers,

Quick update, I'm now the proud owner of 20kg of Welsh coal (anthracite grains), lumpwood charcoal and a Roundhouse Fowler tender kit! Also, Mr Deecee has sent me some photos of the build progress (lovin' that). Figured I'd get into the spirit of things to celebrate my first load of coal..

de0b155d08154612ae3f21f136f40da8.jpg

scaleandy

Registered
4 Feb 2010
Best answers

Hi all,

David from Sabresteam.co.uk kindly sent me these two pic's of my Annabel in production, on the bench. Chassis has been run-in 10 hours in either direction, in his words 'to get the timing just right'.

Will post more pic's as they come to hand. Not long now...

7345f695fd364d2da5fc640443877a6b.jpg

b51207e8c7bd4564a9f6bf3bbc61007b.jpg

24 Jan 2010
Porthmadog, North Wales
www.rhoshelyg.me.uk
Best answers
Country flag

scaleandy said:
Chassis has been run-in 10 hours in either direction, in his words 'to get the timing just right'.
Now that is an interesting concept. Having set the valves on many, many chassis I do not understand how 20 hours of running can change the valve timing. The valve timing is either right or wrong, and no amount of running will change that.

Having said that, 20 hours of running will make the chassis run freely, with no mechanical resistance. Perhaps that is what he meant.

400Parker

Registered
18 Nov 2013
Best answers
Country flag

I'm sure that's what he meant Tony. When I picked up my Annette a while back Dave said he would like to be able to run in the chassis on compressed air like Roundhouse. Obviously he now has the kit to do so whereas he didn't have it in April.
Steve

scaleandy

Registered
4 Feb 2010
Best answers

Hi All,

Another photo of my Annabel, this time it's of the 'first steam accumulation test'. The rather large pressure gauge isn't for the visually impaired, its a ' Budenburg Dead Weight Tested calibration gauge'. Note that I've no idea what that's all about, but to avoid confusion I'm pasting snippets of David's comments verbatim! Thanks once again to Mr Cooper for the build along photos.

I've started building the Roundhouse tender kit, will post a pic or two of that too shortly.

0738a4cb02ba4336ba12f138991a7d29.jpg

New Haven Neil

trains bikes camping kayaking red wine.....more tr
24 Oct 2009
Best answers

An 'acculumulation test' is to test the ability of the safety valves to clear steam without the pressure going more than a certain amount abouve the rated pressure - can't remember the %age though! (10?? It's been a long time!). This is done with full draught (blower in this case) on , no steam being used, and all feed systems shut off.

NHN