Coal fired Lady Annette

railwayman198

Registered
24 Oct 2009
East London
Best answers
Country flag
Tag has just recommended this product on the 16mm chat group. Looks good to me. Reasonably priced (for coal fired) and short order time.
http://www.sabresteam.co.uk/

William

32mm Steam railways. Steam model boats. full size
18 Jan 2010
Nr Horsham. West Sussex
Best answers
Thanks for the information . I have been thinking about making a smell in the garden with a coal fired model but long delivery times and cost has put me off. I had a long phone conversation with David Cooper the man who is making these Annette's and have decided to order one. The delivery time promised is weeks rather than months/years and the total cost for fully built and painted, although a lot of money for me is cheaper than others. David is also a very enthusiastic person to talk to about coal firing and as the chassis uses Roundhouse Lady Anne parts this also ticked the right boxes for me. . Hope to be able to pass my comments on in a couple of months time.

tagorton

Registered
24 Oct 2009
Cornwall
Best answers
railwayman198 said:
Tag has just recommended this product on the 16mm chat group. Looks good to me. Reasonably priced (for coal fired) and short order time.
http://www.sabresteam.co.uk/

Have not tried it yet Philip – so am not really in a position to comment other than to say that the design looks good. Indeed the boiler looks very similar to DJB's design for their 'Robert' kit, using boiler fill bottle instead of those bl**dy handpumps. We should get one for review soon...

Ferrysteam

Registered
25 Oct 2009
Co Durham
Best answers
I've fancied a coal fired engine in the past but I've heard they're pigs to keep the boiler lit.

tagorton

Registered
24 Oct 2009
Cornwall
Best answers
Ferrysteam said:
I've fancied a coal fired engine in the past but I've heard they're pigs to keep the boiler lit.

Well no. In fact it is a bit like driving a car. When you first start you are knackered after an hours driving because you are concentrating too hard. After some experience you are quite relaxed about it and it becomes as second nature as walking. Generally speaking, fire and water need seeing to every fifteen minutes...

R J Mitchell

Registered
5 Feb 2010
Best answers
I shall be very interested to hear of William's experiences when the time comes as I may too may be in the market for one of these.

Maybe as a result of William's order, the delivery time on the web site is now "eight to twelve weeks" and the "unpainted" option has vanished. It also says "4 left only in the first batch", but I think I'll wait until I can read some reports and, hopefully, see one for myself.

tagorton

Registered
24 Oct 2009
Cornwall
Best answers
R J Mitchell said:
I shall be very interested to hear of William's experiences when the time comes as I may too may be in the market for one of these.

Maybe as a result of William's order, the delivery time on the web site is now "eight to twelve weeks" and the "unpainted" option has vanished. It also says "4 left only in the first batch", but I think I'll wait until I can read some reports and, hopefully, see one for myself.

I will have one here shortly and, apart from undertaking a full review for GardenRail, I will post pics and observations on GSC for those who don't subscribe...

Bestest

Tag

brianthesnail96

Registered
25 Oct 2009
Gloucesterestershire
Best answers
Givvus a go Mister? :D

Would be interesting to hear how it compares to the Fowler and the Edrig Tag.

Competition in the 16mm coal fired market, blimey! Got to be a good sign.

William

32mm Steam railways. Steam model boats. full size
18 Jan 2010
Nr Horsham. West Sussex
Best answers
R J Mitchell said:
Interesting, I have just checked sabresteam web site. The unpainted version was one of the things I discussed with David Cooper and I commented that at the price being charged a £100 increase for having a painted loco was good value as the paint alone would cost almost that amount.
Also discussed was running a loco without radio control on small layouts with tight radius curves. David suggested fitting a regulator servo so that R/C could be used just for that function should this provide safer control around power sapping curves, a suggestion that I have taken up with my order.
David also commented that he was to build a loco for Tag to review, I think he said after he had completed mine!

Richard Bailey

tagorton

Registered
24 Oct 2009
Cornwall
Best answers
brianthesnail96 said:
Givvus a go Mister? :D

Would be interesting to hear how it compares to the Fowler and the Edrig Tag.

Competition in the 16mm coal fired market, blimey! Got to be a good sign.

No worries. I will be getting my line ready soon... Hopefully not too much to do now – just that at my age I don't like working in the cold....

brianthesnail96

Registered
25 Oct 2009
Gloucesterestershire
Best answers
Having seen it run(no photos, sorry) I don't think that those who have ordered one will be dissapointed- from my (casual observer) position it looked to go very well indeed. Look out for a review in Garden Rail at some point in the future!

tagorton

Registered
24 Oct 2009
Cornwall
Best answers
brianthesnail96 said:
Having seen it run(no photos, sorry) I don't think that those who have ordered one will be dissapointed- from my (casual observer) position it looked to go very well indeed. Look out for a review in Garden Rail at some point in the future!

Was not really the weather (or the venue) for decent pics, but a couple are included here. One of my coal fired 'Edrig' which performed very well indeed – and the other two of the Sabre Annette. Both locos performed superbly – as did Matt's part built 'Edrig' conversion (at least when we sorted out the gas jet). :) Matt BTW is the one with beard and big hair :) Will report back later with a few details. All three locos Edrig, Fowler and Annette are very different and all work well – although there are significant price differences between them.

The DJB Edrig kit is far and away the cheapest way in – and I do have to say that I run it far more often than I run the Fowler because it is easier to get at. This was why I have a 'Robert' kit from the same source on order. The Annette is also easy to run and a very good price for a ready to roll coal firer at 2050 sovs. like the Roundhouse base as well – for obvious reasons – all parts are quickly replaceable.

brianthesnail96

Registered
25 Oct 2009
Gloucesterestershire
Best answers
Matt's also the one wearing his t- shirt back to front, something which no-one pointed out all day!

Note: when taking an engine apart, make sure you put it back together properly. Just putting the gas jet in finger tight, without any thread sealer and with the holder clogged up with bits of PTFE tape that you meant to clean but never did, means that when you come to steam it, it doesn't exactly work.

Thanks due to Tag- and Mr Sabre Steam- for helping sort it out!

minimans

Trains, Planes, Automobiles & Shooting
24 Oct 2009
San Francisco Bay Area
Best answers
I also saw a coal fired Loco yesterday, A K 27? Accucraft converted to coal firing and it produced copious amounts of very fragrent smoke!! and a large firebox meant it appeared to be very easy to fire or maybe it was just a very experienced fireman!!

91bd4246112a4f0eb0c2a056d88fea9d.jpg

tagorton

Registered
24 Oct 2009
Cornwall
Best answers
brianthesnail96 said:
Matt's also the one wearing his t- shirt back to front, something which no-one pointed out all day!

Oh we did Matt – Just not to you...
m9.gif

tagorton

Registered
24 Oct 2009
Cornwall
Best answers
minimans said:
I also saw a coal fired Loco yesterday, A K 27? Accucraft converted to coal firing and it produced copious amounts of very fragrent smoke!! and a large firebox meant it appeared to be very easy to fire or maybe it was just a very experienced fireman!!

images

wonder how much that is?

minimans

Trains, Planes, Automobiles & Shooting
24 Oct 2009
San Francisco Bay Area
Best answers
[/quote]

wonder how much that is?
[/quote]
Apparently Tag if you have to ask.......................................

brianthesnail96

Registered
25 Oct 2009
Gloucesterestershire
Best answers
tagorton said:
brianthesnail96 said:

m9.gif

Thought as much- gits!

tagorton

Registered
24 Oct 2009
Cornwall
Best answers

wonder how much that is?
[/quote]
Apparently Tag if you have to ask.......................................
[/quote]

my money is currently spoken for on the loco front...

tagorton

Registered
24 Oct 2009
Cornwall
Best answers
brianthesnail96 said:
tagorton said:
brianthesnail96 said:

m9.gif

Thought as much- gits!

In fact I didn't notice...all students dress funny...
m11.gif