Coal fired Lady Annette

New Haven Neil

trains bikes camping kayaking red wine.....more tr
24 Oct 2009
Best answers
Re:Coal fired Lady Annette - Video

Manners, Neil - nice to see you post DC, your locomotives are very interesting, I'm just waiting for the lottery win......

New Haven Neil

trains bikes camping kayaking red wine.....more tr
24 Oct 2009
Best answers
Re:Coal fired Lady Annette - Video

Yup - and the same applies for lowering the pressure too.....;)

32 bar watertube boilers were more my thing back then.....6% doesn't ring a bell though - has that changed? (Since the early 80's?)

I still want one of your locos....:clap:

thumper

Live Steam, Gardening, Golf, Grand Children and Ro
22 Jan 2010
Livonia, Michigan, USA
Best answers
Re:Coal fired Lady Annette - Review in Steam in the Garden

Sure do like the idea of having a "cold" Kilkenny nearby.

Anyway, for those who may be interested, I wrote a review for Ron Brown's magazine "Steam in the Garden" and it was published about 10 days ago.

Sure wish my checking account could handle one of each of David's creations.
Regards,

Will

thumper

22 Jan 2010
Livonia, Michigan, USA
Best answers
Re:Coal fired Lady Annette - Review in Steam in the Garden - OOPS

OOPS: FYI, the smiley face was to have gone after the Kilkenny.

Sorry,

Will

Chris Bird

Steam,gardening, photography
14 Dec 2009
Dorset
Best answers

deecee said:
Guess we must be doing something right at Sabre Steam.

More than "something" by all accounts Dave - your locos are suberb! Incidentally, would that be one of my "sound pipes" you use for the timing? I think you still hold the record I think for buying the most Chuffers in the shortest time:)
Cheers
Chris

E

Elmtree Line

Chris Bird said:
deecee said:
Guess we must be doing something right at Sabre Steam.

More than "something" by all accounts Dave - your locos are suberb! Incidentally, would that be one of my "sound pipes" you use for the timing? I think you still hold the record I think for buying the most Chuffers in the shortest time:)
Cheers
Chris

I've had eight......... so far ;)

CoggesRailway

Registered
25 Oct 2009
Best answers

So Mr Sabre Steam are you thinking of upping production somehow it seems there is demand... I am quite keen, but I don't like to pay for things months and months ahead as a matter of course. Just interested really- or maybe it is more of a life style business doing what you find interesting not really about conquering the world? By all accounts a fantastic product.

Chris Bird

14 Dec 2009
Dorset
Best answers

deecee said:
Yes Chris - its one of the FOURTEEN in one week- (beat that then ) that I bought from Alan at PPS and there all still with me on my gas loco's. This one is from my Edrig that got converted to coal. Its got a 4 inch piece of 5/8 thin wall brass tube soldered around it and the connection is converted to screw on to the exhaust fitting that the blast nozzle eventually goes on. I only use it when I want to listen to the beats co's otherwise it would DEAFEN me !!
Superb Chuff pipes Chris - so easy to fit - guaranteed results.

Well that's made my day Dave - nice to know that none has gone to waste and that one of them is contributing to the smooth running of your locos :D

Keith - I think you get the silver medal - and I did spot the "so far";)
Cheers
Chris

Chris Bird

14 Dec 2009
Dorset
Best answers

deecee said:
There should be some sort of reward (I think ?? ) for someone who has contributed so much extra pleasure to us loco nutts. Yes - I can see it now ....... SIR Chris Bird ...... for his services to the Chuff Pipe Industry.

You are too kind Dave - but I am more likely to feel the sharp end of someone's Sabre for hijacking this thread than to get a knighthood :D

Better get back to coal firing I reckon......
Cheers
Chris

scaleandy

Registered
4 Feb 2010
Yarra Valley, Victoria Australia
Best answers

CoggesRailway said:
So Mr Sabre Steam are you thinking of upping production somehow it seems there is demand... I am quite keen, but I don't like to pay for things months and months ahead as a matter of course. Just interested really- or maybe it is more of a life style business doing what you find interesting not really about conquering the world? By all accounts a fantastic product.

I am quite keen, but I don't like to pay for things months and months ahead as a matter of course.

Dear CoggesRailway,

I'm now strongly opposed to paying in full, for stuff that arrives eventually. It's happened to me twice now, hundreds of pounds paid up front, no sign of the product.. bit like a closed railway station really, nothin' but crickets... and finally when the package does arrive (current record is 4 months and counting!!), it only vaguely resembles the brochure.. I digress.

My experience with SabreSteam on the other hand has been very good, professional, friendly and helpful. Original deposit of 200 GBR to secure my position in the build queue, which I can live with. Subsequent 50% (less original deposit) when build commences, which I paid 5th August, balance payment upon completion of build. At the rate David is currently going, I estimate my loco will be complete within 4 weeks.

Oh, I'm sure Mr Bird is chuffed enough by the praise, no need for a title. :rofl:

scaleandy

Registered
4 Feb 2010
Best answers

Hi All,

I received several photos earlier today from David - may I present to you my completed Annabel, snorting away on the Sabre Steam test track. It's due to be shipped Tuesday (today). Thats 3 weeks build time, amazing. I'll report back when my little darling arrives at McIntyre Hobbs Railway Co.

bed786a51ce742b0b947473d384d2a70.jpg

scaleandy

Registered
4 Feb 2010
Best answers

Hi All,

Just a quick update on my Annabel, it arrived on Monday in perfect condition, eventhough the outer box had clearly been around the world! First impressions were jaw dropping, everything that was supposed to be there was, beautifully wrapped and packaged and there were happy oooh's and aaah's as each bit was inspected. Blower, hand tools, all the bits and bobs, heck the instructions were easy and interesting to read! I've referred back to them every night since. But, it was my Annabel that stole the show, what a beautiful little beastie she is. Perfectly proportioned, she just looked 'right', eventhough it's not a scale model. By now you are probably thinking I'm gushing a bit, well I admit I am, but know this, I'm a fussy bugger with a sharp critical eye for detail.

First steam attempts; This ended up as a bit of a disaster and frankly I was exhausted by the end of it, boiler water too low, safety valve going like crazy... oh well I opened the door and admitted defeat. Next go, managed the water better but killed the fire.. oh dear.

By this time I needed a pep talk, which I duly received from the ever helpful Mr Cooper (I live in Australia, so no chance of personal tuition on his track). He suggested I run Annabel on blocks, just two small lumps of wood to raise the wheels off the track to get a feel for whats going on. I went one step further and made myself very comfortable, loco on builders stand with a spare wall tile under the firebox, me on comfy chair, away from the track. Well, what a difference that made. My FIRST attempt on blocks and I ran Annabel for just over an hour and only stopped because it was dinner time!

Yesterday (day off) I had two glorious runs of a good hour each, on the track. What joy!!! By the second run I pretended to be 'mister cool' and even shovelled in some stinky stuff, I nearly fell over with delight.

Now that I understand what I'm supposed to be doing I'm beginning to relax and with that I'm managing my fire better too. I reckon after another few runs I might even sit down and watch my lovely little dragon on it's journey, while sipping something.

Weather permitting I'll try and post some photos and maybe even a little movie of my exploits.

Finally, this is my first coal fired loco and if any of you are considering one of these, just go for it. I have only great things to say about my experience.

Rosco

Registered
20 Dec 2009
Leytonstone
Best answers

Glad to hear it/she arrived safely. I'm saving up for one of these, hope their still in business in 10 years time!!!!.

Rosco

Registered
20 Dec 2009
Leytonstone
Best answers

Thanks for the assurance Deecee, i might sell a few non vital organs to speed up the process. :banghead:

scaleandy

Registered
4 Feb 2010
Best answers

Hi All,

Pleased to present to you a quick movie I put together of my first two runs on MHRC, with Annabel. Quality is a little dodgy, but then I don't have a video camera and used an iPod Nano!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8rQQ...is the silly grin I'm wearing the whole time.

pthomson12

Registered
6 Sep 2010
Best answers

Hi everybody.

I am very interested in delving into coal firing and I have a couple of burning questions to ask (pardon the pun).

Firstly, to anybody who has built the DJB kit, how difficult for somebody with little model engineering experience is the DJB kit to assemble? Does it involve soldrering of pipes or compressional fittings?

Also, with regards to RTR locos, how does the ELR engineering "Horatio" compare to the "Anette" and the other sabre steam locos, both being based on a roundhouse chassis and in a similar price range?

Thanks
Peter

pthomson12

Registered
6 Sep 2010
Best answers

sorry I forgot to put that I am asking about the Edrig DJB conversion.

pthomson12

Registered
6 Sep 2010
Best answers

Thanks for the info Daniel

Logging on here just realised Ive spelt my own name wrong :eek:: duh! should thave a "p".

But no matter, in regards to your reply Daniel, I have owned and run an Edrig since Christmas (so much so it seems a bit dodgy in reverse now!) and have a RH Katie ariving in April, as a GCSE result reward (A 7 month wait! :yawn:, coal fired seems quicker thats for sure!)

I have been building a quote "hand tools only" sussex steam beam engine http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OyNYxVfyxuk which has introduced me to many new techniques and increased my confidence vastly and should come in very useful for a project like the DJB.

I will continue to do the research and perhaps get one of these kits for a project next summer hols, hopefully they are still being built by then.

Regards

Peter

tagorton

Registered
24 Oct 2009
Cornwall
Best answers

pthomson12 said:
Thanks for the info Daniel

Logging on here just realised Ive spelt my own name wrong :eek:: duh! should thave a "p".

But no matter, in regards to your reply Daniel, I have owned and run an Edrig since Christmas (so much so it seems a bit dodgy in reverse now!) and have a RH Katie ariving in April, as a GCSE result reward (A 7 month wait! :yawn:, coal fired seems quicker thats for sure!)

I have been building a quote "hand tools only" sussex steam beam engine http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OyNYxVfyxuk which has introduced me to many new techniques and increased my confidence vastly and should come in very useful for a project like the DJB.

I will continue to do the research and perhaps get one of these kits for a project next summer hols, hopefully they are still being built by then.

Regards

Peter

Might be worth checking the timing if your Edrig is not running well in reverse Peter. If you are not sure about this let me know and I will let you have the details....

thumper

22 Jan 2010
Livonia, Michigan, USA
Best answers
Re:Coal fired Lady Annette - Locomotive Thirst

Good morning again. Regarding the thirst of the Annette, I ran mine on a treadmill yesterday to demonstrate how a coal fired locomotive operates. As this locomotive doesn't have a hand pump to prime the axle pump, you have to run it with the bypass valve open for a couple laps [or equivalent].

When doing so on the treadmill, I found that quite a bit of water flowed over from the fireman side tank, so much so that it actually emptied the 2nd tank in about 2 minutes. The pump is so robust when running freely it pumps more than the equalizing tube can handle.

The bottom line is that you must top off the water as soon the axle pump has been primed and as you start closing the bypass valve. It's not a problem, it is simply something you must do.

HAPPY STEAMING!

Will