Coal Fired Identity Unknown...

Alpineandy

Registered
25 Oct 2009
Alpennines
Best answers
Country flag
Just thought I would post a few pics of a recent acquisition in the hope somebody may be able to identify its origins.
Myself I believe its a one off and not specifically of any prototype, although its definitely US in origin.

I have managed over the last month to get it running after much work, scratching of head and lots of googling. Its amazing what you learn about coal fired loco's.

I have had a couple of hour long steamings on the bench and the loco is starting to run smoothly. Firing learning curve has been ascended after quite a few false starts, not like a gas loco is it...

There are still some jobs to do yet as I plan to R/C the regulator after chasing it around the garden the other day !! and I need to fit a water filler so I can top up when its standing. (Paranoia sets in when water gauge starts to drop !!)
I have placed her next to my Lady Anne for size comparison, about 3 inches longer
The dome and safety valve bonnet are borrowed from the Lady Anne loco just to see what she looks like with a bit of detail added.

Once I am happy with the running she'll be getting a lick of paint although not sure what livery to give her... Ideas please....

99ca3cc4fdad42d4abc25cb3104f95ed.jpg

1ae51cc7e53e439dbb53f5b6fbeae8cd.jpg

591ecaf107054fb2bc624e0841751ba6.jpg

366f8f712b364619892278d5b7181a03.jpg

5a554be15db54f5392bc77ba81be396c.jpg

New Haven Neil 2

Registered
24 May 2011
Isle of Man
Best answers
Looks like a model engineer's home build to me, I don't see any commercial parts other than fitings. Boiler looks well made, it has Baker valve gear, and is a 'Forney'. (could call it 'Kate' .......:rofl: ). Looks like it could be a good tough loco.
edit - driving wheels might be Roundhouse!!!

Alpineandy

Registered
25 Oct 2009
Alpennines
Best answers
Country flag
Yeah I thought it had the Forney look to it. Boiler is a 6 flue job with superheater and is lagged as well. It took me a while to suss out the Baker valve gear having never come across it before. I understand it was popular on US loco's.

New Haven Neil 2

Registered
24 May 2011
Isle of Man
Best answers
Yeah, it has no sliding parts, only pivots, the idea being it was easier to maintain. Very popular in the USA, hardly ever used in the UK!

New Haven Neil 2

Registered
24 May 2011
Isle of Man
Best answers
PS - I'm a smidge jealous............. :crying:

Alpineandy

Registered
25 Oct 2009
Alpennines
Best answers
Country flag
It was a chance find and came from a collection that was sold through a model shop that doesn't normally deal in garden railway stuff. The shop owner said that someone else was interested and might buy it to convert to gas........ EEEEK !

Rosco

Registered
20 Dec 2009
Leytonstone
Best answers
What a mechanical beast!!
I'd keep it black with some nameplates on the cab.

garrymartin

My Family,Railways, Beer and the Seaside
30 Oct 2009
Now Derbyshire !
Best answers
Country flag
It's a nicely proportioned loco, and has the potential to be a great looker.
All I can say is that it bears no resemblence at all to the Roundhouse Forney, and less still to the Accucraft ones.
I would finish it in black with red lining, including the smoke box & all that is now brass.

John Morgan

Steam Traction
23 Jun 2011
Norfolk
Best answers
Alpineandy,

A video clip of the loco running would be interesting when you get chance. I would imagine the valve gear would be interesting to watch.

John.

pugwash

impecunious pirate
Staff member
GSC Moderator
17 Nov 2009
Luxembourg
Best answers
Country flag
Whilst it would be lovely to paint it the same as the Lady Anne I would also go for black, and more specifically a dirty, well used but still chuffing loco kind of black. You know, lived in but not worn out.
Anyway up it's a cracker of a loco.

Spule 4

Registered
24 Oct 2009
Les États-Unis
Best answers

CoggesRailway

Registered
25 Oct 2009
Best answers
I love it!!! Video of it running please!

Alpineandy

Registered
25 Oct 2009
Alpennines
Best answers
Country flag
When I figure out how to upload video I will.
RC has now been fitted and I am tinkering with that to get best setup, problem at moment is steam leak through regulator as it is a slide valve, this means loco is coasting a long way before stopping.
Anybody know where I can get a 5/16 32TPI top up valve for boiler as it needs one for when its stationary ?

thumper

Live Steam, Gardening, Golf, Grand Children and Ro
22 Jan 2010
Livonia, Michigan, USA
Best answers
How lucky you are to have such a unique little loco, and how smooth it runs, even at slower speeds.
Just as a suggestion, look for a longer poker so you can get to the corners of the fire box. Also, compare coal shovels with some of your friends. Yours looks quite small and somewhat difficult to use - maybe this is just me.

I'm sure if you put it on the block, the line would be long - could I be first? I'll join the envious crowd.

As for color, black does look good, but if you are considering colors, look at the Roundhouse Fowler in Red. It's a beautiful shade and would look good on your loco, especially with the brass fittings - do get a RH brass steamdome and safety valve cover, regardless of the livery.

I'll be looking for for a video with it pulling a nice string of goods wagons at a slow speed!

Sorry, but I can't help regarding the manufactuer/builder.

Best regards and happy steaming,

Will Lindley

Alpineandy

Registered
25 Oct 2009
Alpennines
Best answers
Country flag
Just a few pics following paintjob.
Have stuck with plain black as it will be easier to keep clean, apart from brass and copper of course.
Added a few bits to it as well.

72baddbec86d49b1bdae6bfa04e1f309.jpg

58c17509492c43bfa21e1527beede239.jpg

d86dab25560e4d54b72ec37a3543eeb6.jpg

stockers

Trains, aircraft, models, walking, beer, travel
24 Oct 2009
Nr. Ashford, Kent. England.
Best answers
Country flag
That looks great. And its unique.
Brilliant.