Building the Stone Hedge Railway.

Scot Lawrence

Registered
30 May 2018
Rochester, NY USA
Best answers
Hi everyone, I thought I would start a builder's log of my garden railroad! :)
I wont go back to the very beginning of time for this thread, no need for all that..If anyone is interested, its all on my webpage:

www.scotlawrence.com

It started with my Dad's garden railroad, 2001 to 2009:
Stonehedge & Shadypines Railroad

and I started my own Garden Railroad in 2009:
Stonehedge Railway

The Stonehedge Railway name comes from the rock walls and "hedges" that my Dad built. My Mom one day jokingly said they should call the garden "Stone Hedge", a play on words from "Stone Henge", and the name stuck! :)

Photo of some my Dad's rock walls:
LSHstonehedge.jpg

But we will start this thread by going only a couple years back..
I started by building a rock wall to make the railroad level, there is a natural slope to the yard, which resulted in a rock wall about 2-feet tall in the front:

SH0066.jpg

SH0105.jpg

The railroad is a dog-bone shape, about 45 feet long by 16 feet deep, which will have a ground level mainline running around the perimeter of the dogbone, about 14-foot diameter, and a raised inner loop of 8-foot diameter, built on raised platforms.

Last year, 2017, I started building the two raised platforms out of pressure treated lumber.
The right-side loop is shorter in height:

SH0143.jpg

The left-side platform is taller, but the track all the way across is level. (I have some live steam..both the upper and lower loops will be completely level, there are no grades on the railroad)

SH0136.jpg

Then I added in fill-dirt across the center:
SH0160.jpg

This year, 2018, I started the bridge to connect the two raised platforms:

SH0175.jpg

SH0177.jpg

And then started working on the top-deck of the right-side platform, getting scenery in place, using a ladder roadbed.
(much more detail is on the webpage! ;)
SH0192.jpg

Mulch down! and a bit of artificial grass in place, which will become a cow pasture with a farm scene:
SH0201.jpg

SH0202.jpg

SH0206.jpg

Untitled-1.jpg

And that brings us up nearly to the present! That's a very condensed version of the past 9 years! ;) The railroad was very slow-going early on..Two full years, 2011 and 2014, no work was done at all. (I got laid off from Kodak after 17 years, then went back to college for a 2nd degree in my mid-40's, to do a complete career change..which worked!)

But im no longer dwelling on "how long it has taken" so far..because meh, so what! ;) it doesn't matter. I'm turning 50 next year, im still young, ;) time is an illusion. (lunchtime doubly so)

I still have not run the first train! I want some actual scenery down first, for the first train to run though. The ceremonial first train run will be coming in a few weeks! I'll run my Dad's trains.

that's all for now! more soon..
thanks,
Scot

Last edited:
Reactions: 7 users
A

Alec K

Hi everyone, I thought I would start a builder's log of my garden railroad! :)
I wont go back to the very beginning of time for this thread, no need for all that..If anyone is interested, its all on my webpage:

www.scotlawrence.com

It started with my Dad's garden railroad, 2001 to 2009:
Stonehedge & Shadypines Railroad

and I started my own Garden Railroad in 2009:
Stonehedge Railway

The Stonehedge Railway name comes from the rock walls and "hedges" that my Dad built. My Mom one day jokingly said they should call the garden "Stone Hedge", a play on words from "Stone Henge", and the name stuck! :)

Photo of some my Dad's rock walls:
View attachment 241329

But we will start this thread by going only a couple years back..
I started by building a rock wall to make the railroad level, there is a natural slope to the yard, which resulted in a rock wall about 2-feet tall in the front:

View attachment 241341

View attachment 241330

The railroad is a dog-bone shape, about 45 feet long by 16 feet deep, which will have a ground level mainline running around the perimeter of the dogbone, about 14-foot diameter, and a raised inner loop of 8-foot diameter, built on raised platforms.

Last year, 2017, I started building the two raised platforms out of pressure treated lumber.
The right-side loop is shorter in height:

View attachment 241331

The left-side platform is taller, but the track all the way across is level. (I have some live steam..both the upper and lower loops will be completely level, there are no grades on the railroad)

View attachment 241332

Then I added in fill-dirt across the center:
View attachment 241333

This year, 2018, I started the bridge to connect the two raised platforms:

View attachment 241334

View attachment 241335

And then started working on the top-deck of the right-side platform, getting scenery in place, using a ladder roadbed.
(much more detail is on the webpage! ;)
View attachment 241336

Mulch down! and a bit of artificial grass in place, which will become a cow pasture with a farm scene:
View attachment 241337

View attachment 241338

View attachment 241339

View attachment 241343

And that brings us up nearly to the present! That's a very condensed version of the past 9 years! ;) The railroad was very slow-going early on..Two full years, 2011 and 2014, no work was done at all. (I got laid off from Kodak after 17 years, then went back to college for a 2nd degree in my mid-40's, to do a complete career change..which worked!)

But im no longer dwelling on "how long it has taken" so far..because meh, so what! ;) it doesn't matter. I'm turning 50 next year, im still young, ;) time is an illusion. (lunchtime doubly so)

I still have not run the first train! I want some actual scenery down first, for the first train to run though. The ceremonial first train run will be coming in a few weeks! I'll run my Dad's trains.

that's all for now! more soon..
thanks,
Scot
Superb, Scot - a real benchmark for me for the not too distant future.

mike

Master at annoying..
Staff member
GSC Moderator
24 Oct 2009
Rossendale
www.gscalecentral.net
Best answers
Country flag
What a fantastic acheavement !!! Well done that g scaler

simon@mgr

Aviation, model engineering & all things technical
25 Oct 2009
Gold Coast, QLD, The Land Downunder
Best answers
Country flag
A lot of hard work has given a great result, well done.

trammayo

Interested in vintage commercial vehicle, trams, t
24 Oct 2009
Co. Mayo
Country
Ireland
Best answers
Country flag
A lot of hard work - but the end result is great. I notice your cats - I presume the black one is a male (extremely attentive eyes!) and, of course, she's well laid back with a different temperament!

Scot Lawrence

Registered
30 May 2018
Rochester, NY USA
Best answers
Thanks everyone!

A lot of hard work - but the end result is great. I notice your cats - I presume the black one is a male (extremely attentive eyes!) and, of course, she's well laid back with a different temperament!

Mick,
there are three cats featured on the webpage:

1. Calvin, (the only male). We adopted Calvin and Boots in 2008, together, from the local humane society. They estimated he was about 4 years old at the time, which makes him about 14 now. He is still doing fine! He is featured in most of my videos! ;) He had been a stray, a street fightin' man from Auburn NY. He had been in a fight with something when he was brought to the shelter, they think maybe a racoon..the shelter rehabilited him for a few months before they put him up for adoption. His first years might have been rough, but he is king of the castle now! :)

Calvin.jpg

Calvin has a locomotive named after him! ;)
STONEHEDGE RAILWAY - Page 3

Then we had Miss Boots. She came with Calvin in 2008. Sadly Boots passed away in 2015.
Boots-2008.jpg

Then we adopted Meadow, and currently we have Calvin and Meadow. (We always adopt adult cats from the humane society, because they are harder to find homes for than kittens) We again dont know exactly how old she is, or her backstory, but she is probably around 5 to 7 years old now.
Meadow.jpg

Thanks,
Scot

Reactions: 4 users

trammayo

Interested in vintage commercial vehicle, trams, t
24 Oct 2009
Co. Mayo
Country
Ireland
Best answers
Country flag
Thanks everyone!

Mick,
there are three cats featured on the webpage:

1. Calvin, (the only male). We adopted Calvin and Boots in 2008, together, from the local humane society. They estimated he was about 4 years old at the time, which makes him about 14 now. He is still doing fine! He is featured in most of my videos! ;) He had been a stray, a street fightin' man from Auburn NY. He had been in a fight with something when he was brought to the shelter, they think maybe a racoon..the shelter rehabilited him for a few months before they put him up for adoption. His first years might have been rough, but he is king of the castle now! :)

View attachment 241357

Calvin has a locomotive named after him! ;)
STONEHEDGE RAILWAY - Page 3

Then we had Miss Boots. She came with Calvin in 2008. Sadly Boots passed away in 2015.
View attachment 241359

Then we adopted Meadow, and currently we have Calvin and Meadow. (We always adopt adult cats from the humane society, because they are harder to find homes for than kittens) We again dont know exactly how old she is, or her backstory, but she is probably around 5 to 7 years old now.
View attachment 241360

Thanks,
Scot

I got that wrong didn't I!

Scot Lawrence

Registered
30 May 2018
Rochester, NY USA
Best answers
Update! The right side platform is complete!

Reactions: 1 users

Scot Lawrence

Registered
30 May 2018
Rochester, NY USA
Best answers
At long last, after many years of starts and stops in the construction of the railroad, the first train finally operates on the Stonehedge Railway! :nod:
! :)

Reactions: 3 users