Bowande UK Chinese QJ Class Locomotive.

newboydave

G scale trains - no surprise there then!</br></br>
24 Oct 2009
Sale, Cheshire, UK.
Best answers
Country flag
Anyone have any information or concerns on this loco - I am aware that Aster/Accucraft also make this large model, but I understand that their model not been very well received, and as I am considering purchasing the 'Bowande' version, I do not want to risk paying £4,000 + on a model that may have 'issues'. Any comments would be appreciated.

Fred2179G

Registered
20 Apr 2017
USA
Best answers
Country flag
Any comments would be appreciated.
All live steam locos have 'issues'. You just get used to tinkering.

There's a guy on the Gauge 1 live steam group on Facebook posted a couple of videos of a Bowande QJ. He seemed very happy with it. I wasn't sure about the blood-and-custard UK coaches! Here's his video:

newboydave

24 Oct 2009
Sale, Cheshire, UK.
Best answers
Country flag

There's a guy on the Gauge 1 live steam group on Facebook posted a couple of videos of a Bowande QJ. He seemed very happy with it. I wasn't sure about the blood-and-custard UK coaches! Here's his video:

Hi Fred. Thanks for the reply. I have seen this video before and it looks great, but having had previous conversations with a Live Steam Dealer in the USA, I have been told that the 'other' manufacturers model of this loco was a bit of a 'turkey' and did not sell well. Considering that 'Bowande UK' still has ten of these models for sale, ,maybe there is a problem - I just need to be sure. I have some other Live Steam loco's ( I keep these mainly in Florida where I am lucky enough to spend around four-six months of each year, these include a 'Regner Wilma' an 'Accuraft Lawley', an Aster 'Mogul' and a Accucraft C-25 'Baby Mudhen', and an Aristocraft 'Mikado' (best value for money Live Steam loco I ever purchased) all of which ran 'out of the box' with no problems), and my final purchase to date, an Aster/Accucraft H8 'Allegheny' which I waited to be delivered for almost THREE years, and it was very poorly built, requiring extensive repair and modifications, before it could be considered 'operational' (really bad build quality). Consequently, I want to try and ensure that any future purchase of another 'large' loco, is free of such problems. Whilst Aster/Accucraft USA did finally deliver this model, and agree to all the repairs and a discount, I would be very reluctant to purchase another model from them - hence my enquiry about the 'Bowande UK' model.

Fred2179G

Registered
20 Apr 2017
USA
Best answers
Country flag
still has ten of these models for sale, ,maybe there is a problem
I suspect the problem is that the beast is enormous and Chinese so unfamiliar - what are you going to pull with it? Apart from that, all I can tell you is that Bowande's large locos seem to get good reviews.

As you are occasionally in Florida (not this year, I bet,) maybe post the question on Facebook or on Mylargescale, where there are many more USA live steamers. Where in Florida, when you can get here?

dunnyrail

DOGS, Garden Railways, Steam Trains, Jive Dancing,
Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
St.Neots Cambridgeshire UK
Best answers
Country flag
Looked and sounded pretty good to me with nice plumes of steam and a good load.

newboydave

24 Oct 2009
Sale, Cheshire, UK.
Best answers
Country flag
I suspect the problem is that the beast is enormous and Chinese so unfamiliar - what are you going to pull with it? Apart from that, all I can tell you is that Bowande's large locos seem to get good reviews.

As you are occasionally in Florida (not this year, I bet,) maybe post the question on Facebook or on Mylargescale, where there are many more USA live steamers. Where in Florida, when you can get here?

I guess it will all be mixed freight - not sure there are even any Chinese Passenger cars made? but I will probably use some of the G scale rolling stock which belongs to my local Railroad Club (Ridge Live Steamers in Dundee, Florida), where the majority of my loco's currently reside. Yes-I have missed Florida this year so far (had a very difficult time getting back from Florida last April due to Covid), and I missed attending the Small Scale Steam-up held at Diamondhead, Mississippi this year in February, for the first time in over fifteen years!!. When I am in Florida, I am lucky enough to have a property in the Orlando area (Four Corners/Davenport area), which is only a 45 minute drive from my Railroad Club which is very handy.

dunnyrail

Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
Best answers
Country flag
I guess it will all be mixed freight - not sure there are even any Chinese Passenger cars made? but I will probably use some of the G scale rolling stock which belongs to my local Railroad Club (Ridge Live Steamers in Dundee, Florida), where the majority of my loco's currently reside. Yes-I have missed Florida this year so far (had a very difficult time getting back from Florida last April due to Covid), and I missed attending the Small Scale Steam-up held at Diamondhead, Mississippi this year in February, for the first time in over fifteen years!!. When I am in Florida, I am lucky enough to have a property in the Orlando area (Four Corners/Davenport area), which is only a 45 minute drive from my Railroad Club which is very handy.
I think if you look on line at pictures of QJ’s working you will find that they haul freight wagons not unlike US prototypes admittedly in mire subdued colours. Coaches I am pretty sure that some of the 60’s and 70’s US ones repainted would do a pretty good job as well. Particularly so called daylight ones with the ribbed sides.

newboydave

24 Oct 2009
Sale, Cheshire, UK.
Best answers
Country flag
I think if you look on line at pictures of QJ’s working you will find that they haul freight wagons not unlike US prototypes admittedly in mire subdued colours. Coaches I am pretty sure that some of the 60’s and 70’s US ones repainted would do a pretty good job as well. Particularly so called daylight ones with the ribbed sides.
Hi Dunnyrail. Never thought of using 'daylight' type cars, and we have some of them plus Amtrak ribbed sided passenger cars at the Railroad Club, so it looks like I may be sorted - if I do go for the QJ. Got to say though that I am tempted by a 'Duchess' or a 9F as an alternative.

dunnyrail

Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
Best answers
Country flag
Hi Dunnyrail. Never thought of using 'daylight' type cars, and we have some of them plus Amtrak ribbed sided passenger cars at the Railroad Club, so it looks like I may be sorted - if I do go for the QJ. Got to say though that I am tempted by a 'Duchess' or a 9F as an alternative.
Hm they are both perfect alternatives to a boy that spent his train watching years at Wembley watching both pass through not 20 yards from where I lived. Trains the other side of that wall though the Garden and end of the Street never looked such a mess when my Dad and later I owned it. Makes me sad to see the state of the end of the Street that was such a lovely place to grow up.
E535FD00-888A-46C6-BFB3-88CFE76A852B.jpeg

Paul M

Registered
25 Oct 2016
Royston
Best answers
Country flag
Hm they are both perfect alternatives to a boy that spent his train watching years at Wembley watching both pass through not 20 yards from where I lived. Trains the other side of that wall though the Garden and end of the Street never looked such a mess when my Dad and later I owned it. Makes me sad to see the state of the end of the Street that was such a lovely place to grow up.
View attachment 282248
Unfortunately, Wembley is no longer a pleasant place to go. Heaven knows why, because most of the houses look fantastic, cost a fortune and are close to all amenities. But there seems to be majority of residents who really couldn't give a t*ss about their neighbourhood

tac foley

Registered
11 Apr 2017
Near Huntingdon, UK
Best answers
Country flag
Anyone have any information or concerns on this loco - I am aware that Aster/Accucraft also make this large model, but I understand that their model not been very well received, and as I am considering purchasing the 'Bowande' version, I do not want to risk paying £4,000 + on a model that may have 'issues'. Any comments would be appreciated.

To my knowledge neither Aster, now Accucraft/Aster or t'other way around, depending on choice, make this model, but the Bowande model company do - all alone. Any criticisms you may have heard or read of 'their versions' are therefore utter BS - f they don't make it, then there can be no criticism of it. All reports I've seen on Youtube and elsewhere, are fulsome with praise for its power and presence.

The example that rides the rails in the USA can often be seen hauling ordinary passenger cars and so long as you can find them - they are 1/32nd, BTW and MTH Railking make 'em, as do Accucraft - it will look just fine.

There are no commercially available Gauge 1 models of Chinese rolling stock - freight or passenger.

To see both of them in action in Iowa - go to 41 min 20 sec on this movie - freight and PAX.

Last edited:

newboydave

24 Oct 2009
Sale, Cheshire, UK.
Best answers
Country flag
To my knowledge neither Aster, now Accucraft/Aster or t'other way around, depending on choice, make this model, but the Bowande model company do - all alone. Any criticisms you may have heard or read of 'their versions' are therefore utter BS - f they don't make it, then there can be no criticism of it. All reports I've seen on Youtube and elsewhere, are fulsome with praise for its power and presence.

The example that rides the rails in the USA can often be seen hauling ordinary passenger cars and so long as you can find them - they are 1/32nd, BTW and MTH Railking make 'em, as do Accucraft - it will look just fine.

There are no commercially available Gauge 1 models of Chinese rolling stock - freight or passenger.

To see both of them in action in Iowa - go to 41 min 20 sec on this movie - freight and PAX.

Hi Tac. Thanks for the information, very helpful. I think that I recognise the merits of the Bowande UK version, and I am seriously considering this model - Accucraft/Aster Hobby are still showing the QJ as available on their Estore catalogue, but having recently purchased an H8 model from them, with very questionable build quality, I will be reluctant to purchase from them in future.

tac foley

Registered
11 Apr 2017
Near Huntingdon, UK
Best answers
Country flag
Hi Tac. Thanks for the information, very helpful. I think that I recognise the merits of the Bowande UK version, and I am seriously considering this model - Accucraft/Aster Hobby are still showing the QJ as available on their Estore catalogue, but having recently purchased an H8 model from them, with very questionable build quality, I will be reluctant to purchase from them in future.

You bought an Allegheny with questionable build quality? Please give me details if you would be so kind. You seem to be confusing Bowande with Accucraft/Aster - they are, in fact, nothing to do with each other and have an element of bad blood between them engendered by recent happenings, including producing near-identical models of the same prototype at the same timescale.

I'd be grateful to see the QJ on the Aster/Accucraft estore pages, too.

Last edited:

newboydave

24 Oct 2009
Sale, Cheshire, UK.
Best answers
Country flag
You bought an Allegheny with questionable build quality? Please give me details if you would be so kind. You seem to be confusing Bowande with Accucraft/Aster - they are, in fact, nothing to do with each other and have an element of bad blood between them engendered by recent happenings, including producing near-identical models of the same prototype at the same timescale.

I'd be grateful to see the QJ on the Aster/Accucraft estore pages, too.
Hi Tac. No - not confused about Accucraft/Aster Hobby and Bowande. I am aware that they are totally separate companies. I currently own (amongst other models) an Accucraft 'Lawley' an Accucraft C-25 2-AC7411 2-8-0 'Baby Mudhen' (both purchased before the joining of Accucraft/Aster), and a Aster Mogul (Nevada Short Line), again purchased before the amalgamation.

I am attaching a copy of the Summary of the repairs necessary, for the H8 - As I have stated previously, Accucraft/Aster Hobbies did finally agree to all the repairs (at their cost) and also agreed a Discount, but the long delay to delivery and the repairs have left me feeling less than confident to purchase from them in the future.

Detailed Account of Repairs

Ordered in June 2018, it was not received by the Dealer until September 2019.
Faults discovered included, but were not limited to: the drivers (on both engines) were, on some of the axles, not touching the rails, the wheels were binding on the internal plumbing lines resulting in no articulation of the suspension, the trailing truck was broken and assembled ‘back to front’ - the cab roof did not fit. Further checking discovered that the heads and threads of many of the fixing screws were stripped.

Locomotive - Repairs.
  1. The Cab was straightened and reworked, along with the lower brackets and the plumbing that was broken, distorted and bent.
  1. A new Cab Roof was ordered and fitted properly and now closes easily without the twisting which was evident on the original roof. This required reworking the drip rails and fitting them correctly to the Cab opening.
  1. The cylinder covers were repaired where required, and sections of loose piping were secured on all four of the cylinders.
  1. The cosmetic steam exhaust lines were fouling the drivers. This was remedied by grinding the back face of the casting to give clearance, as they were not removable for fitment with the boiler installed. All repaired areas were then painted.
  1. The Smoke box front was removed and replaced with a newly supplied front. This new item required all holes to be drilled and tapped as no such holes were made in this new unit for mounting to the boiler or for the inside shielding.
  2. The pumps were not properly or fully secured in position and only two bolts were holding them resulting in them being loose. This was repaired by drilling and tapping the holes fully into the pump casting and then securing with new hardware.
  1. Important Note. The lower end of the smoke box wrapper was cracked. There was no possible repair for this as it is a poor solder joint which will require the complete boiler removal, as well as a complete repaint of the whole wrapper. Whilst not entirely satisfactory in this damaged condition, as this part has no structural effect (as the boiler wrapper is bolted to the front casting), it appears to be relatively stable in its current condition.
  1. The inner plumbing to the chassis was all binding and therefore not allowing full articulation of the chassis. This was corrected by moving and re-bending all the return bends, so that they would allow full movement in the area and therefore not interfere with the adjacent piping. This was a lengthy and complicated trial and error process, as there are a total of four lines on the front truck and these were very much restricting any front movement, resulting in the lifting of the wheels off the track when negotiating any curve.
  1. The Burners were reinstalled which required the total removal of the cab unit including some associated plumbing to allow access. See photograph 6 for details). At this point it was noted that the sight glass was cracked. Once the burners were in position it was obvious that the top and bottom fittings for the sight glass were totally misaligned - hence the cracked glass. It was necessary to physically bend the angle of these fittings as they were soldered in a crooked position. This bending brought the fittings into better alignment and with this opening up of the clearance, the glass was a much better fit.

1. The trailing truck frame had to be completely replaced. This required the disassembling of both the original truck and the newly supplied truck frame, as the new truck frame had been assembled incorrectly “backwards” by the factory. None of the holes in the frame had been tapped so these all had to be done. All the detailed parts from the original truck were transferred to the new frame (these parts had previously been soldered but all of them had been broken possibly during assembly or shipping. These were all reattached which required filing to fit, cleaning up and then painting.

2. The complete chassis and motion was oiled prior to air testing. On testing, the rear engine would not operate or run. Checking the meter valve to confirm that it was open and also closing, the engine did not operate or run. It was established that the rear engine was not engaging in full gear. The front engine was out of timing setting and when the front engine was in full gear, the rear engine was stuck in mid gear. The complete Baker valve gear was reset and tested on air in both directions. These ran well considering that they had not been “run in” previously.
  1. Important Note. During the factory construction period, the customer was sent a video of “his” (claimed to be this actual model unit) running on the factory test track. Considering the condition of the actual model that was shipped, and is the subject of this report it is highly unlikely, if not impossible that the video did in fact show this particular model but rather that the model in the video is a completely different version.
  1. Finally, various areas throughout the model including the chassis had ‘nicks’ and ‘chips to the paintwork as a result of these being loose during the shipping. These areas were all ‘touched up’ as necessary.
Tender - Repairs.
  1. The Floor Frame required complete replacement as the coupler was distorted (bent) during shipping - this was caused by a foam block being tied down onto the coupler without any support or relief.
  1. The tender body was completely disassembled including the fasteners for the hand pump and the gas tank. The replacement frame supplied was not straight with the coupler tab bent upwards. The frame casting was repaired and straightened.
  1. Despite these repairs the coupler did not fit correctly at all into the housing and this required a major amount of work including filing, fitting, drilling and tapping of the coupler housing finally, a re-spray of the frame and coupler housing.
  1. Even after all these repairs, the coupler will still not pivot correctly but this appears to be as a result of a design ‘flaw’ as the housing is too narrow and does not allow the coupler to pivot properly.
Here is a link to the Accucraft/Aster EStore showing two Butane fired versions, two Electric versions, and three 'deals' including passenger cars.

www.accucraftestore.com/g1chn-qj

Reactions: 1 user

tac foley

Registered
11 Apr 2017
Near Huntingdon, UK
Best answers
Country flag
Hi Tac. No - not confused about Accucraft/Aster Hobby and Bowande. I am aware that they are totally separate companies. I currently own (amongst other models) an Accucraft 'Lawley' an Accucraft C-25 2-AC7411 2-8-0 'Baby Mudhen' (both purchased before the joining of Accucraft/Aster), and a Aster Mogul (Nevada Short Line), again purchased before the amalgamation.

I am attaching a copy of the Summary of the repairs necessary, for the H8 - As I have stated previously, Accucraft/Aster Hobbies did finally agree to all the repairs (at their cost) and also agreed a Discount, but the long delay to delivery and the repairs have left me feeling less than confident to purchase from them in the future.

Faults discovered included, but were not limited to: the drivers (on both engines) were, on some of the axles, not touching the rails, the wheels were binding on the internal plumbing lines resulting in no articulation of the suspension, the trailing truck was broken and assembled ‘back to front’ - the cab roof did not fit. Further checking discovered that the heads and threads of many of the fixing screws were stripped.

Locomotive - Repairs.
  1. The Cab was straightened and reworked, along with the lower brackets and the plumbing that was broken, distorted and bent.
  2. A new Cab Roof was ordered and fitted properly and now closes easily without the twisting which was evident on the original roof. This required reworking the drip rails and fitting them correctly to the Cab opening.
  3. The cylinder covers were repaired where required, and sections of loose piping were secured on all four of the cylinders.
  4. The cosmetic steam exhaust lines were fouling the drivers. This was remedied by grinding the back face of the casting to give clearance, as they were not removable for fitment with the boiler installed. All repaired areas were then painted.
  5. The Smoke box front was removed and replaced with a newly supplied front. This new item required all holes to be drilled and tapped as no such holes were made in this new unit for mounting to the boiler or for the inside shielding.
  6. The pumps were not properly or fully secured in position and only two bolts were holding them resulting in them being loose. This was repaired by drilling and tapping the holes fully into the pump casting and then securing with new hardware.
  7. Important Note. The lower end of the smoke box wrapper was cracked. There was no possible repair for this as it is a poor solder joint which will require the complete boiler removal, as well as a complete repaint of the whole wrapper. Whilst not entirely satisfactory in this damaged condition, as this part has no structural effect (as the boiler wrapper is bolted to the front casting), it appears to be relatively stable in its current condition.
  8. The inner plumbing to the chassis was all binding and therefore not allowing full articulation of the chassis. This was corrected by moving and re-bending all the return bends, so that they would allow full movement in the area and therefore not interfere with the adjacent piping. This was a lengthy and complicated trial and error process, as there are a total of four lines on the front truck and these were very much restricting any front movement, resulting in the lifting of the wheels off the track when negotiating any curve.
  9. The Burners were reinstalled which required the total removal of the cab unit including some associated plumbing to allow access. See photograph 6 for details). At this point it was noted that the sight glass was cracked. Once the burners were in position it was obvious that the top and bottom fittings for the sight glass were totally misaligned - hence the cracked glass. It was necessary to physically bend the angle of these fittings as they were soldered in a crooked position. This bending brought the fittings into better alignment and with this opening up of the clearance, the glass was a much better fit.

10. The trailing truck frame had to be completely replaced. This required the disassembling of both the original truck and the newly supplied truck frame, as the new truck frame had been assembled incorrectly “backwards” by the factory. None of the holes in the frame had been tapped so these all had to be done. All the detailed parts from the original truck were transferred to the new frame (these parts had previously been soldered but all of them had been broken possibly during assembly or shipping. These were all reattached which required filing to fit, cleaning up and then painting.

11. The complete chassis and motion was oiled prior to air testing. On testing, the rear engine would not operate or run. Checking the meter valve to confirm that it was open and also closing, the engine did not operate or run. It was established that the rear engine was not engaging in full gear. The front engine was out of timing setting and when the front engine was in full gear, the rear engine was stuck in mid gear. The complete Baker valve gear was reset and tested on air in both directions. These ran well considering that they had not been “run in” previously.
  12. Important Note. During the factory construction period, the customer was sent a video of “his” (claimed to be this actual model unit) running on the factory test track. Considering the condition of the actual model that was shipped, and is the subject of this report it is highly unlikely, if not impossible that the video did in fact show this particular model but rather that the model in the video is a completely different version.
  13. Finally, various areas throughout the model including the chassis had ‘nicks’ and ‘chips to the paintwork as a result of these being loose during the shipping. These areas were all ‘touched up’ as necessary.
Tender - Repairs.
  1. The Floor Frame required complete replacement as the coupler was distorted (bent) during shipping - this was caused by a foam block being tied down onto the coupler without any support or relief.
  2. The tender body was completely disassembled including the fasteners for the hand pump and the gas tank. The replacement frame supplied was not straight with the coupler tab bent upwards. The frame casting was repaired and straightened.
  3. Despite these repairs the coupler did not fit correctly at all into the housing and this required a major amount of work including filing, fitting, drilling and tapping of the coupler housing finally, a re-spray of the frame and coupler housing.
  4. Even after all these repairs, the coupler will still not pivot correctly but this appears to be as a result of a design ‘flaw’ as the housing is too narrow and does not allow the coupler to pivot properly.
Here is a link to the Accucraft/Aster EStore showing two Butane fired versions, two Electric versions, and three 'deals' including passenger cars.

Thank you. Astonishing, to say the least.

Last edited:

dunnyrail

Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
Best answers
Country flag

Locomotive - Repairs.
  2. A new Cab Roof was ordered and fitted properly and now closes easily without the twisting which was evident on the original roof. This required reworking the drip rails and fitting them correctly to the Cab opening.
  3. The cylinder covers were repaired where required, and sections of loose piping were secured on all four of the cylinders.
  4. The cosmetic steam exhaust lines were fouling the drivers. This was remedied by grinding the back face of the casting to give clearance, as they were not removable for fitment with the boiler installed. All repaired areas were then painted.
  5. The Smoke box front was removed and replaced with a newly supplied front. This new item required all holes to be drilled and tapped as no such holes were made in this new unit for mounting to the boiler or for the inside shielding.
  6. The pumps were not properly or fully secured in position and only two bolts were holding them resulting in them being loose. This was repaired by drilling and tapping the holes fully into the pump casting and then securing with new hardware.
  7. Important Note. The lower end of the smoke box wrapper was cracked. There was no possible repair for this as it is a poor solder joint which will require the complete boiler removal, as well as a complete repaint of the whole wrapper. Whilst not entirely satisfactory in this damaged condition, as this part has no structural effect (as the boiler wrapper is bolted to the front casting), it appears to be relatively stable in its current condition.
  8. The inner plumbing to the chassis was all binding and therefore not allowing full articulation of the chassis. This was corrected by moving and re-bending all the return bends, so that they would allow full movement in the area and therefore not interfere with the adjacent piping. This was a lengthy and complicated trial and error process, as there are a total of four lines on the front truck and these were very much restricting any front movement, resulting in the lifting of the wheels off the track when negotiating any curve.
  9. The Burners were reinstalled which required the total removal of the cab unit including some associated plumbing to allow access. See photograph 6 for details). At this point it was noted that the sight glass was cracked. Once the burners were in position it was obvious that the top and bottom fittings for the sight glass were totally misaligned - hence the cracked glass. It was necessary to physically bend the angle of these fittings as they were soldered in a crooked position. This bending brought the fittings into better alignment and with this opening up of the clearance, the glass was a much better fit.

10. The trailing truck frame had to be completely replaced. This required the disassembling of both the original truck and the newly supplied truck frame, as the new truck frame had been assembled incorrectly “backwards” by the factory. None of the holes in the frame had been tapped so these all had to be done. All the detailed parts from the original truck were transferred to the new frame (these parts had previously been soldered but all of them had been broken possibly during assembly or shipping. These were all reattached which required filing to fit, cleaning up and then painting.

11. The complete chassis and motion was oiled prior to air testing. On testing, the rear engine would not operate or run. Checking the meter valve to confirm that it was open and also closing, the engine did not operate or run. It was established that the rear engine was not engaging in full gear. The front engine was out of timing setting and when the front engine was in full gear, the rear engine was stuck in mid gear. The complete Baker valve gear was reset and tested on air in both directions. These ran well considering that they had not been “run in” previously.
  12. Important Note. During the factory construction period, the customer was sent a video of “his” (claimed to be this actual model unit) running on the factory test track. Considering the condition of the actual model that was shipped, and is the subject of this report it is highly unlikely, if not impossible that the video did in fact show this particular model but rather that the model in the video is a completely different version.
  13. Finally, various areas throughout the model including the chassis had ‘nicks’ and ‘chips to the paintwork as a result of these being loose during the shipping. These areas were all ‘touched up’ as necessary.
Tender - Repairs.
  2. The tender body was completely disassembled including the fasteners for the hand pump and the gas tank. The replacement frame supplied was not straight with the coupler tab bent upwards. The frame casting was repaired and straightened.
  3. Despite these repairs the coupler did not fit correctly at all into the housing and this required a major amount of work including filing, fitting, drilling and tapping of the coupler housing finally, a re-spray of the frame and coupler housing.
  4. Even after all these repairs, the coupler will still not pivot correctly but this appears to be as a result of a design ‘flaw’ as the housing is too narrow and does not allow the coupler to pivot properly.

Wow you have a Lawley. A loco that I lust after but I do not want one Live Steam, sadly Accy are doing nothing much that I want track powered these days. Lawley, TnD 4-4-0 etc.

penylanpip

Registered
1 Apr 2010
Barry, UK
www.gscalecentral.net
Best answers
Country flag
Funny you should say that, Jon, as I would dearly like the proposed Cavan & Leitrim 4-4-0T.... track powered.

I wonder if it is worth asking them - it worked for the W&L thing.

dunnyrail

Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
Best answers
Country flag
Funny you should say that, Jon, as I would dearly like the proposed Cavan & Leitrim 4-4-0T.... track powered.

I wonder if it is worth asking them - it worked for the W&L thing.
I did that when it was first shown in a glass case at a show possibly Peterborough. Reply was an emphatic NO. ‘Oh‘ I said ‘well that is me not buying one‘ to complete lack of interest.

newboydave

24 Oct 2009
Sale, Cheshire, UK.
Best answers
Country flag
Wow, those are very complete details, sounds like a lot of shipping damage, sorry you went through all that.

Greg
Hi Greg. Not shipping damage I'm afraid. According to the dealer who inspected it on arrival, all the result of poor factory build.