Thoughts on Aster Tiger(li)?

S

siclick33

I’m not even sure if it is Tiger or Tigerli!

I have been searching the internet, as a newcomer, for a kit locomotive to build and one that appears the nicest looking (from my point of view) is the Aster Tigerli. I am aware that this is a limited run production but I have emailed them and they do have some availability.

One of my concerns, having read through these forums and others, is how long they are likely to be supported in terms of parts. Is this something that I should be concerned about? I don’t know how often steam locomotives need spares and, if they do, whether the parts are likely to be bespoke or available from other vendors. Which parts are most likely to need replacing?

And does anyone have experience with this model and/or manufacturer? What is the quality like? Are they reliable models (i.e. something that a newcomer can set up without having to fiddle around for hours fault-finding)?

In summary, would you buy one. If not, why not? Thanks.

Paul M

Registered
25 Oct 2016
Royston
Best answers
Country flag
Welcome to the forum, you've come to the right place for advice, although I've none to give on this!
Where are you based? It says UK/US on your header

JimmyB

Now retired - trains and fishing
23 Feb 2018
Weston-super-Mare
www.tumble-down-falls.co.uk
Best answers
Country flag
Welcome to the forum, the question with spares is the same for any equipment, you may be unlucky and have issues that requires spares in the first 12 months, or you could go 10 years without the need. Partly due to how much use your loco has and partly due to how well it is used.

Fred2179G

Registered
20 Apr 2017
USA
Best answers
Country flag
And does anyone have experience with this model and/or manufacturer? What is the quality like? Are they reliable models (i.e. something that a newcomer can set up without having to fiddle around for hours fault-finding)?
In general, Aster is a top-of-the-line manufacturer, and there are lots of people with experience and quite a bit of support is available. They are metal models, so spare parts aren't too much of an issue, though for a new model there will be some available. The usual problem is when you drop it and bend/break something - the cosmetic parts that don't wear out are not available! So don't drop it.

It should not need any "fiddling" to set up. However, it is alcohol fired which is a bit more complicated than butane gas. You will need a suction fan and denatured alcohol (meths in the UK.) And a suitable track to run it on - indoors is not recommended.

I suggest you read this page and study the photos to see if it looks within your capability.
Aster Hobby Japan

As you are buying the kit, here's a great thread on the build, from the guys who run the support shop:
Aster Tigerli 0-6-0

As a newcomer (as you put it,) I would strongly advise downloading and reading this book "Starting in Steam", from the guys at "Steam in the Garden" magazine:
Steam in the Garden

Finally, my personal opinion, is that it looks very complicated for a newcomer. You can learn to run a live steam loco by buying something much simpler in the $1,000-$2,000 range, from Roundhouse [Basic}, Regner [Easy Line] or Accucraft. The latter's Cranmore Peckett is available as a kit and I have read good things about how easy it is to run.
Accucraft UK - 1:19 Cranmore Peckett 0-4-0ST | Live Steam Station

S

siclick33

Thanks for the replies.

I’m not overly concerned about the build complexity; I have assembled (from pre-made parts) model gas turbine engines so, whilst a beginner to live steam, I do have a background in modeling and engineering. Operating might be slightly more difficult for me, but the early gas turbine engines used to start on propane (not any more!) so I have gone through the mistakes of trying to blow my hand off with too much gas etc!

With respect to spares, my query was more along the lines of ‘what parts wear more frequently’. With model aircraft I could tell you what parts will wear out and what parts will last a lifetime; I don’t have that knowledge with live steam (maybe nothing wears out?). I have, for example seen that one manufacturer sells cylinder servicing kits; if the parts are available now then I could buy some in advance and keep them in my tool box.

Thanks again for the replies; I will carry on with my reading and investigate the link above.

Fred2179G

Registered
20 Apr 2017
USA
Best answers
Country flag
It sounds as if you will be fine assembling the kit. I did an Aster kit (JNR8550 - a simple loco) for the first time a few years ago, and it was not difficult. It helped that I had a bunch of guys on MLS willing to offer advice!

that one manufacturer sells cylinder servicing kits;
Be aware that Roundhouse is the consumate professional operation, and has tried to make many parts identical so you can fix lots of their locos with one spares kit. Which is good - there locos are excellent.
With Aster locos I dont think there are many parts that might wear out. They provide good bearings not just steel in steel frames.

Paul M

Registered
25 Oct 2016
Royston
Best answers
Country flag
With respect to spares, my query was more along the lines of ‘what parts wear more frequently’. With model aircraft I could tell you what parts will wear out and what parts will last a lifetime; I don’t have that knowledge with live steam (maybe nothing wears out?). I have, for example seen that one manufacturer sells cylinder servicing kits; if the parts are available now then I could buy some in advance and keep them in my tool box.
The most common failures on live steam locos are the various O rings. The gas filler valves wear and the pressure gauges can cause problems

Fred2179G

Registered
20 Apr 2017
USA
Best answers
Country flag
The most common failures on live steam locos are the various O rings. The gas filler valves wear and the pressure gauges can cause problems
You might not be surprised to hear that my steaming toolbox has O-rings, copper washers (Regner) and a spare Ronson valve (which is common to most butane fired locos, so they are readily available.) With an alcohol loco, you'd have spare wicks and a dentists mirror to look up and under to see if the wicks are lit. ;)

ol_hogger

Registered
23 Jul 2021
Germany
Country
Germany
Best answers
May I wisecrack liguistically? Since we did't get to the Tiger in question.

The idea of a tiger relates to the bright yellow grab irons on a throughout black locomotive percieved as the "stripes". Though you would perhaps say a tiger is fawn colored with black stripes.
The Swiss have a habit of lovingly adding -li to a noun, as the Dutch add -je and you perhaps would do with Dad and Daddy.

S

siclick33

Thanks again for the replies.

I’ve had responses from Aster and I think I might pass. Apparently they will have spares available for 10 years from the release date, and this was released in 2016, so they will only have spares available for another 3-4 years.

The biggest problem for me is the min radius recommended. They quote 1.5m, which I initially thought was diameter, as the Roundhouse models are only 2’ radius. Having looked again, 1.5m radius looks like it might be relatively small, but I’m not sure I would be able to justify a 3m wide loop in my garden!

I’m also not sure about the meths fuel (v gas) and, whilst the loco is expensive but not ridiculous, when you add the tender kit, the ‘detail kit’ and shipping, it does get pretty pricey.

I’m still considering it, as it looks really smart, but I’m not sure if I can justify it.

Does anyone else sell kits (not completed models) that are a bit more realistic than the Roundhouse ones? If not, I might get one of those instead, as their email response to my initial query was outstanding.

ol_hogger

Registered
23 Jul 2021
Germany
Country
Germany
Best answers
Your considerations sound reasonable.

Radius seems the biggest issue. I am confident that the Tigerli can negotiate tighter curves than five feet. However, the friction will create unacceptable drag and strain the bearings. I have a 45 year old 2-6-2 JNR C12 that allows herself to be pushed through a 1 m radius, even if the pony wheels touch the oil reservoir and alcohol sump respectively.

Mentioning her age touches your spares question. Aster threads are metric fine thread and standard to many manufacturers on the European continent (and in China for that matter) in the field of steam models.which allows for their fittings to be used. (Note that Wilesco as the exception has standard, coarser thread)

Besides, she works nicely as far as I can tell. Although alcohol firing is not as straightforward as is gas. If you want to save yourself from troubles ...

Roundhouse seems popular but I can't comment hands-on.

Last edited:

dunnyrail

DOGS, Garden Railways, Steam Trains, Jive Dancing,
Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
St.Neots Cambridgeshire UK
Best answers
Country flag
If you want to learn your trade with a kit then Roundhouse is also a good choice if you can get one. But as I have mentioned a SloMo if it can be fitted is a good addition if you want slo reliable shunting. Some disagree with me on this, but few run their railways like I do and need to be able to shunt reliably. So if you just want to run round in circles then forget the SloMo.

Fred2179G

Registered
20 Apr 2017
USA
Best answers
Country flag
1.5m radius looks like it might be relatively small
1.5m = 60" or 5'. Pretty typical for Aster. They tend to have flanges on all drivers which restricts the radius.

I wouldn't worry about spares. You're the first person that I've noted on a forum that asked! The locos tend to be reliable, and there are people with machine shops if you really need something they don't have.

As far as an alternate model in kit form, Accucraft have started selling their models as kits. Can I suggest the Cranmore Peckett, a cute little loco which has got rave reviews.
Accucraft UK - 1:19 Cranmore Peckett 0-4-0ST | Live Steam Station

S

siclick33

Just to update this, I have ordered a Roundhouse Billy instead. The customer support from Roundhouse has been great and the kit is a lot cheaper than the Aster.

I did also try and get a Riverdale Coal boiler to have ‘in stock’ for a future build, but Riverdale wouldn’t sell me one because I don’t live in the EU. I even offered to pick it up from their workshop in Holland but he wasn’t interested :(

Paul M

Registered
25 Oct 2016
Royston
Best answers
Country flag
Probably a wise buy, but as for someone not wanting to sell something.....

craigwrdouglas2

Registered
29 Jun 2021
Scotland
Best answers
Country flag
I had a similar issue with Elita (they sell the unpainted LGB figures from the Nuremberg era.) not wanting to ship to the UK, so I reluctantly ordered some from a Chinese seller for a lower price.

(which arrived today as it happens...)

lomitaway

Registered
14 Apr 2022
95762, USA
Best answers
Country flag
Out of the box my new Peckett had no trouble walking away a string of ore cars. 1st run lasted 20 minutes and should improve with time. Kits are available for $100 less. Unless you want the challenge or need to save the dollars the extra cost is IMHO well spent.
Steve A.

• Love
Reactions: 1 users

Paul M

Registered
25 Oct 2016
Royston
Best answers
Country flag
Out of the box my new Peckett had no trouble walking away a string of ore cars. 1st run lasted 20 minutes and should improve with time. Kits are available for $100 less. Unless you want the challenge or need to save the dollars the extra cost is IMHO well spent.
Steve A.
Lovely

tac foley

Registered
11 Apr 2017
Near Huntingdon, UK
Best answers
Country flag
Since you've made the decision to dump the idea of a Gauge 1 model and plumbed for 16mm instead, may I recommend that you join the Association of 16mm modellers? Right now you seem like a voice crying in the wilderness, and most of us base much of our enjoyment running our trains as part of a group of like-minded people, even in a country as large as the USA. Up there in Canada there are even fewer of us with 16mm interests, apart from a fine bunch of gentlemen in Greater Vancouver, and Jeff Youngs in the middle, somewhere.

The intro pack to the 16mm Assoc, is well worth the joining fee, and it's also on-line, too, if your of a mind to bother with that kind of stuff..... ;)

This is my 16mm scale take on a Sandy River combine - scratch-built except for the trucks, from coffee stirrers -

1650653360149.png