Thoughts on Aster Tiger(li)?

S

siclick33

I’m not sure I’m a ‘voice crying in the wilderness’ or if I have ‘dumped’ anything, but thanks (I just asked a question about the Aster Tigerli and didn’t really get any concrete feedback about that particular model!).

I am already a member of the 16mm association and will start reading the intro packs soon.

tac foley

Registered
11 Apr 2017
Near Huntingdon, UK
Best answers
Country flag
I’m not sure I’m a ‘voice crying in the wilderness’ or if I have ‘dumped’ anything, but thanks (I just asked a question about the Aster Tigerli and didn’t really get any concrete feedback about that particular model!).

I am already a member of the 16mm association and will start reading the intro packs soon.

Figures of speech, no insult intended, although you seem to think differently. You don't mention being part of any group, and seemed to me to be asking questions that might have been answered face-to-face more readily if you had been a group member of some kind.

Although I'm a long-time G1MRA member here in UK, I've never clapped eyes on a Tigerli, although I have one in H0 made by Fulgurex about fifty years ago. All I've heard about them, from those who HAVE built one, is what fussy little 'madames' they are, in search of constant attention. They also suffer, like many of Aster's small locos, from excessive speed at even the most minute throttle settings. The Roundhouse model seems to me to be the ideal way to go, and can not only be r/c'd easily, but can be fitted, if necessary, with a Slo-mo device as mentioned by pal Dunnyrail. Unlike Aster, Roundhouse's after-market service is legendary, for the best of reasons. Their products are made entirely in one location in Doncaster, they are on the end of a phone line and their track record makes Rolls Royce look like a bunch of parvenue amateurs. AND they all speak perfect English - well, Northern English.

8 Mar 2014
San Diego
Country
Armenia
www.elmassian.com
Best answers
Country flag
He gave up on the Tigerli and bought something else at post #15.

The only concrete information he did not get is from someone that actually owns one, otherwise he got a lot of information in my opinion.

I get what Tac is saying, I likewise get the feeling that you are not getting face to face contact, you learn a lot in a short time talking to someone as opposed to "reading the intro packs".

Greg

Reactions: 1 user
S

siclick33

He gave up on the Tigerli and bought something else at post #15.

The only concrete information he did not get is from someone that actually owns one, otherwise he got a lot of information in my opinion.

I get what Tac is saying, I likewise get the feeling that you are not getting face to face contact, you learn a lot in a short time talking to someone as opposed to "reading the intro packs".

Greg

Fair enough. I joined this forum in the hope that I would get to discuss my questions with friendly folk who were interested in helping out a newcomer.

However I feel, rightly or wrongly, that all I am getting is grief, so I am out of here and I’ll stumble through on my own.

Thanks to those who did offer help without the judgements.

8 Mar 2014
San Diego
Country
Armenia
www.elmassian.com
Best answers
Country flag
You got lots of replies, and you sort of complained. Yes no one with the specific experience you wanted came forwards, but people tried to be helpful.

My position is that unless you are an expert (then why would you ask questions), you can learn a lot from others, but you need to be grateful for all the responses, whether you deem them helpful or not.

Greg

Reactions: 1 user

Ralphmp

Registered
6 Jan 2010
Herts
Country
England
Best answers
Country flag
You got lots of replies, and you sort of complained. Yes no one with the specific experience you wanted came forwards, but people tried to be helpful.

My position is that unless you are an expert (then why would you ask questions), you can learn a lot from others, but you need to be grateful for all the responses, whether you deem them helpful or not.

Greg
Well said!

tac foley

Registered
11 Apr 2017
Near Huntingdon, UK
Best answers
Country flag
Dear OP - I'd like to put a footnote to Greg's comments above, just in case you decide to quit for good. You admit to being a newcomer - just like all of us were at one time - and arrive here as a guest, asking questions. Specific questions, about one of the rarest models that Aster, THE leaders in ready-built or kit-built Gauge 1 models in the world, ever made. As far as I can see, less than 200 were made, and even less of the necessary accompanying 'service' box car. So the chances of meeting up with another owner on this mostly 16mm/LGB forum are slim, to say the least.

We offer the good advice that starting off your journey with a known subject, a Roundhouse model, instead of one of THE most finicky little locos known to Man, might be a better idea. Most of us here on the live steam part of the forum have a Roundhouse loco or three, some of us have around forty of 'em, so we know what we are talking about when we offer you advice about them. They are astonishingly easy to operate right out of the box, and many buyers here in UK actually go to the factory to collect their loco, and get hands-on tuition on driving them before they walk out of the door, heading off for many years happy operations.

You will not have this opportunity, which is why, in my view, and that of others here, you ought to join in and engage with the live-steam/garden railway community and get your face-to-face right there.

While learning to 'drive' a Roundhouse loco is pretty simple, and after a bit of a faltering start even a six-year-old can quickly become skilled in operating it, an alcohol-fired loco like Tigerli is a whole new ball-game, and I've never met a noobie to this side of the hobby who hasn't needed advice, including, of course, me. Forty-something years on, and I'm still learning. Unlike the simple process of turning on the gas, waiting a few seconds to clear and then lighting up, an alcohol-fired loco needs an external source of draught until it raises sufficient steam to operate its own blower. From a handling POV, alcohol can be VERY dangerous - it burns invisibly, and locos can flare up, damaging themselves and track and sometimes even the unwitting operator. I watched, from a distance, as one owner of an older model watched helplessly as his pride and joy lost all its paint as an 'invisible hand' removed it for no obvious reason. So joining a group for Gauge 1 is not just advice, to my mind it's vital.

You never told us where you were in the US, had you done so, we might have been able to advise you where to go for face-to-face advice. You say that you are a member of the 16mm Association - so in that case you already have the names and email addresses of those fans who might be near you. Allan Toney here is a great help to statesiders - if it runs on steam, then he is well-worth reading for his wide experiences.

You really didn't give the rest of us a chance, and that's a shame. Y'see, a Roundhouse loco is like a Ford - anybody can learn to drive one. An alcohol-fired special loco like Tigerli is more like a Duesenberg - things are neither obvious nor easy, albeit more rewarding in the end.

Take care, and look after your eyebrows - a live-steamers everywhere find out at some time, they are not necessarily a permanent facial feature.

tac foley
G1MRA
Association of 16mm Modellers
Member - Southern Federation of Model Engineers
7 1/14" Gauge Society of Model Railway Engineering