Billard A80D-4 - RTM Stern - (Apocopa kit)

Henri

refuses to grow up
6 May 2016
Hoeksche Waard - Netherlands
Best answers
Country flag
YES!!! I got one! A very rudimental kit by Apocopa of the Billard A80D 4. Where the 4 stands for a specific version which was slightly larger ( 1,2 meter) and 20 cm smaller than the regular A80D. So I’ve been told. This specific version was in use exclusively by the RTM in the Netherlands.

I knew Apocopa made these kits but i did not succeed getting in touch by Max, the owner, until a few weeks ago. I had a friend who speaks French fluently call him to get all the details and order the Billard.

And today it arrived! In a wooden custom made box, very well packaged.

Now it only needs a few bits here and there... ;-)

I am SO happy to have this kit!!!! Hope to start it soon, but i first have to finish the Backer & Rueb.

DB0ED9BC-14B0-4EAD-980A-5BDD8E5771D0.jpeg

E21901C0-1710-47D6-93A7-D1BAB455D832.jpeg

37CD0895-C7D5-48C8-A738-351AD8C08416.jpeg

8EA8D014-1D43-4352-B519-E92E179BBEEA.jpeg

Zerogee

Clencher's Bogleman
25 Oct 2009
North Essex
Best answers
Country flag
Looks like quite a bit of work, but it will be lovely when it is done!

Does it actually have a chassis, or do you have to make that yourself?
What power bogies is it designed for?

Jon.

Paul M

Registered
25 Oct 2016
Royston
Best answers
Country flag
No chassis. I don’t know for what Power boogies it is designed. Lotsa questions.
There must be some sort of guidance with the kit

Zerogee

Clencher's Bogleman
25 Oct 2009
North Essex
Best answers
Country flag
Yes, surely there is some sort of instruction leaflet, or maybe a PDF available online?

Jon.

Rhinochugger

Retired Oik
27 Oct 2009
North West Norfolk
Best answers
Country flag
Nice to have a model of a different prototype, and the Billard railcars are classic narrow gauge stock :clap::clap::clap::clap:

Paulus

Registered
13 Jan 2012
Best answers
Those IIm Apocopa kits did not come with an instruction manual as far as I know. It comes to your own modelling / scratch building skills I am afraid.
The companies website (not a very user friendly site) does mention a sort of instruction about the different Billard kits sold: http://apocopa.free.fr/images/celledujour/billard.pdf
But I think these are the H0m kits...

There is a thread on a French forum from someone who started building one similar kind of IIm kit although there are not many pictures (only from the start of the project): billard A80d - Forums LR PRESSE But I believe you can see an LGB motorblock on the picture and he does mention that the Magazine " Voie Libre" issue number 33 describes the build of one of these kits. But it is an old issue (2006 I believe). Perhaps you can order back issues from the magazine from the website: Voie Libre - LR PRESSE

Paulus

Registered
13 Jan 2012
Best answers
Here's another topic on it, with trailer: A80D en IIm
You can see how he build the chassis. EDIT: I am not sure about the bogies... they look as if they are manufactured, not scrathbuilded...

Last edited:

dunnyrail

DOGS, Garden Railways, Steam Trains, Jive Dancing,
Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
St.Neots Cambridgeshire UK
Best answers
Country flag
This is clearly a Scratch Builders “assistance” kit where all the tricky bits are provided with the builder left to work out how they are all put together. A not uncommon way of providing things over the years. There was a lot of fuss back in the late 70’s early 80’s where a couple of Manufacturers pushed out Brass Etches for sundry 0 Gauge Locomotives. I dabbled with 2 or 3 of them and got on with them just fine, but I was already used to Scratch Building so looked at the etches as a way of saving a lot of Metal Cutting with a small saw.

Fast forward to these Railcars and the link by Paulus above certainly shows one way of throwing a Working Chassis together. I would probably be looking at one of the US Power Bogies that have served me so well on a Couple of my bashes. Certainly for me the hardest part to get around would be how to actually procure one of these ‘kits’ my French or any other language beside English being non existent. Some would and have said that my English needs work!

ebay mike

Retired, but still hoarding. (GOF)
6 Dec 2011
Norfolk - edge of nowhere.
Best answers
Country flag
This is clearly a Scratch Builders “assistance” kit where all the tricky bits are provided with the builder left to work out how they are all put together. A not uncommon way of providing things over the years. There was a lot of fuss back in the late 70’s early 80’s where a couple of Manufacturers pushed out Brass Etches for sundry 0 Gauge Locomotives. I dabbled with 2 or 3 of them and got on with them just fine, but I was already used to Scratch Building so looked at the etches as a way of saving a lot of Metal Cutting with a small saw.

Fast forward to these Railcars and the link by Paulus above certainly shows one way of throwing a Working Chassis together. I would probably be looking at one of the US Power Bogies that have served me so well on a Couple of my bashes. Certainly for me the hardest part to get around would be how to actually procure one of these ‘kits’ my French or any other language beside English being non existent. Some would and have said that my English needs work!
Jon, I've checked out their website in France. Bobyshell prices for various locos and coaches are in the 209 to 290 Euro range and there are full kits at around 790 Euros. Couldn't find this particular model though. They are located in Bouvron (Loire-Atlantique), western France not too far from Nantes. I'm going across under the Channel shortly but regrettably nowhere near that region.

hansw

Registered
28 Jun 2018
Netherlands
Best answers
Country flag
Jon, I've checked out their website in France. Bobyshell prices for various locos and coaches are in the 209 to 290 Euro range and there are full kits at around 790 Euros. Couldn't find this particular model though. They are located in Bouvron (Loire-Atlantique), western France not too far from Nantes. I'm going across under the Channel shortly but regrettably nowhere near that region.

Henri

refuses to grow up
6 May 2016
Hoeksche Waard - Netherlands
Best answers
Country flag
The collection of 'reference' photo's has started. These are from an actual restauration of an A80D in France (source previously metioned French website).

I learned the engine is connected with a 5 speed gearbox to the axles. I once rode on the Schienenbus from the ZLSM and I was absolutely charmed by the shifting of gears while getting up to cruise speed! It was like driving an old Mercedes!

PlanChassisBillard-petit.jpg

Capture.JPG

IMG_20190719_180957664_HDR-2.jpg

P1050147-2.jpg

190619083512735194.jpg

19061908392810936.jpg

Rhinochugger

Retired Oik
27 Oct 2009
North West Norfolk
Best answers
Country flag
The collection of 'reference' photo's has started. These are from an actual restauration of an A80D in France (source previously metioned French website).

I learned the engine is connected with a 5 speed gearbox to the axles. I once rode on the Schienenbus from the ZLSM and I was absolutely charmed by the shifting of gears while getting up to cruise speed! It was like driving an old Mercedes!

View attachment 256855

View attachment 256856

View attachment 256857

View attachment 256858

View attachment 256859

View attachment 256860
Early UK DMUs were similar - apart from the Southern Region's 'thumper' units - so called because they had a large diesel generator at the end of one carriage and used electric motors, but the diesel engine shook the carriage quite annoyingly, with the windows rattling the whole time - you had to try and ride in one of the other carriages (2 or 3 car units - OK Hastings 6 car units had two thumper carriages)