BIG WHEELS

JGDURAND

Registered
28 Aug 2013
Chatellerault France
Best answers
Country flag
I finished this Big Wheels at a scale of 1: 20.3 at the end of last year and I just noticed that I had not posted it.
The wheels were collected on a plastic toy and repainted, they have a diameter of 16cm, I made their hubs out of a round of wood. I took again the principle of Desertdrower, its article allowed me to understand the operation of this machine. The wood used is samba. The whole measures 44cm long.
I still have to make the team of horses, this is the reason why I am with interest the work of Desertdrower
To your comments
Thank you for reading me

18.jpg

DSCI0752.JPG

DSCI0751.JPG

DSCI0750.JPG

DSCI0753.JPG

DSCI0754.JPG

DSCI0755.JPG

DSCI0756.JPG

DSCI0759.JPG

Reactions: 1 user

Paradise

Registered
28 Jan 2010
Back Yard
Country
Australia
Best answers
Country flag
You really need to fill us in a little with the history. The term 'Desertdrower' in a Google search results in nothing relative.
What is the purpose of this cart contraption with huge wheels? What is the mechanism in the middle for? :think:

Is it a log skidder? The middle part to lift one end of the log with a chain loop?
Nice modelling by the way. :)

Last edited:

Paradise

Registered
28 Jan 2010
Back Yard
Country
Australia
Best answers
Country flag
http://www.tipurdy.org/wp-content/uploads/2015/06/BW-Camp-B285-1024x608.jpg

BW-Camp-B285-1024x608.jpg

Last edited:

dunnyrail

DOGS, Garden Railways, Steam Trains, Jive Dancing,
Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
St.Neots Cambridgeshire UK
Best answers
Country flag
Aha a picture says more than a thousand words, what an interesting project as ever superbly executed.

PhilP

G Scale, 7/8th's, Electronics
5 Jun 2013
Nottingham
Best answers
Country flag
I think there was a 'build thread' of this?? :think:

The way the various pivot's and hinges were done, is ingenious..

JGDURAND

Registered
28 Aug 2013
Chatellerault France
Best answers
Country flag
thank you
Desertdrower is a talented modeller of the Railroad Line forum.
At the back of my model, there is currently a chain loop missing to support the log. On the flat, the small arm is almost flat and the chain lifts the log. On the other hand, when going downhill, the log tends to push the sliding axle on the drawbar forward, the small arm is raised, the chain relaxes, the log touches the ground and brakes.

8 Mar 2014
San Diego
Country
Armenia
www.elmassian.com
Best answers
Country flag
Thanks for the pictures, but I'm confused as you seem to name your models after people, not what they are, your first logging fixture, you titled after the inventor of the device not the name of the device, and this one you call Desertdrower, as opposed to a high or big wheel logging sled. Other than making a model of this, Desertdrower had nothing to do with the real device in history, am I correct?

High wheels, logging wheels, etc., I see now after some research.

Greg

JGDURAND

Registered
28 Aug 2013
Chatellerault France
Best answers
Country flag
I may have misspoken.
Desertdrower is a designer who built a big wheels in HO, which I used his construction principle to make mine in 20.3.
It has nothing to do with the name of big wheels