Ralphmp

Registered
6 Jan 2010
Herts
Country
England
Best answers
Country flag
Hopefully this is the right place for this question. I’m trying to get hold of a model of a BMW z3 and the last time I bought scale model cars the top manufacturers were Dinky and Corgi...

I’ve looked on eBay and other places on the web and whilst there seem to be a number of choices the prices vary widely from a few pounds to a few hundred pounds. So I wondered if any forum members can offer advice on manufacturers. I’d like a model that isn’t too much like a kids toy but I don’t need any of the highly detailed ones.

Thanks in advance.

ebay mike

Retired, but still hoarding. (GOF)
6 Dec 2011
Norfolk - edge of nowhere.
Best answers
Country flag
What scale are you after? Is it for use in the garden?

Ralphmp

Registered
6 Jan 2010
Herts
Country
England
Best answers
Country flag
It would be ideal if I could position it at one of my stations and transport it on one of my wagons without it looking way too big or small. Not sure how that translates to scale.

playmofire

Registered
23 Oct 2010
North Yorks
Best answers
Country flag
It would be ideal if I could position it at one of my stations and transport it on one of my wagons without it looking way too big or small. Not sure how that translates to scale.

So the answer's G scale/gauge?

dunnyrail

DOGS, Garden Railways, Steam Trains, Jive Dancing,
Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
St.Neots Cambridgeshire UK
Best answers
Country flag
erm have you tried googling BMWz3?
JonD

playmofire

Registered
23 Oct 2010
North Yorks
Best answers
Country flag
I'd say 1:24 is the scale to go for and a query on Google 1:24 BMW Z3 turns up a kit version for £21 or so on Amazon, if a kit is acceptable.

Years ago I had a Z3 which cost me about £10 which was very presentable.

Try contacting this seller on eBay:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/usr/charlieccu?rt=nc

he has a great range of 1:24 scale cars, although not that I can see a Z3, but he could probably tell you if one was available.

Ralphmp

Registered
6 Jan 2010
Herts
Country
England
Best answers
Country flag
So the answer's G scale/gauge?
Ahh. I tried to avoid using that term as it means different things to different folks. In my case my layout is primarily LGB Swiss and German with mostly Pola buildings, so that is the kind of scale I'm after.

Ralphmp

Registered
6 Jan 2010
Herts
Country
England
Best answers
Country flag

Ralphmp

Registered
6 Jan 2010
Herts
Country
England
Best answers
Country flag
I'd say 1:24 is the scale to go for and a query on Google 1:24 BMW Z3 turns up a kit version for £21 or so on Amazon, if a kit is acceptable.

Years ago I had a Z3 which cost me about £10 which was very presentable.

Try contacting this seller on eBay:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/usr/charlieccu?rt=nc

he has a great range of 1:24 scale cars, although not that I can see a Z3, but he could probably tell you if one was available.

Thanks - that sounds interesting and, yes, a kit would be ok as long as it's one a novice could build.

maxi-model

UK/US/ROW steam narrow gauge railways 1:1
27 Oct 2009
Bucks/Oxon/Northants area
Best answers
Country flag
Back to the question, what scale ? What are you running - 1:32, 1:29, 1:24, 1:22.5, 1:20.3, 1:19, 1:13. I think that covers all the bases for garden scales. Main scales cars are modeled commercially - 1:43, 1:32 (mainly slot cars), 1:24/5, 1:18, 1:12, 1:8.

Search, either Google on in Ebay , in collectibles (they will give a scale choice in the left hand sidebar) , BMW Z3, and chosen closest matching scale for your needs. Now choose a price that suits.

There are makers who specialize in higher detail die-casts, more expensive, such as Minichamps (1:43 & 1:18 mostly). There are those, like Maitso, who produce cheaper but good models in the 1:24 & 1:18 range mostly. Hope that helps - from a model car collector and maker who switched to garden railways. Max

P.S. took me a while to compose and a couple of post have appeared since I started. :)

Ralphmp

Registered
6 Jan 2010
Herts
Country
England
Best answers
Country flag
Back to the question, what scale ? What are you running - 1:32, 1:29, 1:24, 1:22.5, 1:20.3, 1:19, 1:13. I think that covers all the bases for garden scales. Main scales cars are modeled commercially - 1:43, 1:32 (mainly slot cars), 1:24/5, 1:18, 1:12, 1:8.

Search, either Google on in Ebay , in collectibles (they will give a scale choice in the left hand sidebar) , BMW Z3, and chosen closest matching scale for your needs. Now choose a price that suits.

There are makers who specialize in higher detail die-casts, more expensive, such as Minichamps (1:43 & 1:18 mostly). There are those, like Maitso, who produce cheaper but good models in the 1:24 & 1:18 range mostly. Hope that helps - from a model car collector and maker who switched to garden railways. Max

P.S. took me a while to compose and a couple of post have appeared since I started. :)

Thanks Max. This is most helpful. (I confess I've never really worried about the scale of my trains - as long as things looked ok that was fine - but I guess most of them will be 1:22.5.) I'll check out the 1/24th models as I think 1/18th is probably too big and many of the ones i looked at before posting were pretty pricey.

I never realised there were so many options of scale before!

playmofire

Registered
23 Oct 2010
North Yorks
Best answers
Country flag
You're right in that 1:18 is too big. Try querying on Welly and Dickie BMW Z3. I'm pretty certain the one I had was Welly; Dickie are a German company.

Rhinochugger

Retired Oik
27 Oct 2009
North West Norfolk
Best answers
Country flag
Just trawl '1:24 diecast' on Evilbay.

1:24 is the best scale for 1:22.5 rolling stock, and there are plenty of cars at plenty of prices - it doesn't seem to matter which manufacturer it is as only the Franklin Mint stuff and similar speciality suppliers go for stooopid money.

I've bought a few US models over the last year or so for my little township, and have paid anything from £4 to £15 - I stop at that price, and look for an alternative model, but if you're looking for a specific (like the Z3) then you may have to go to £20 - £25.

Just checked, there's a blue Z3 at £24 :nod::nod:

Even better, it's a kit - so you can have a bit of fun putting it together - they're usually pretty straightforward.

I've had a 34 Ford Coupe, T'Bird and Merc 300 SL kits :nod::nod::nod:

Last edited:

Rhinochugger

Retired Oik
27 Oct 2009
North West Norfolk
Best answers
Country flag
Hopefully this is the right place for this question. I’m trying to get hold of a model of a BMW z3 and the last time I bought scale model cars the top manufacturers were Dinky and Corgi...

I’ve looked on eBay and other places on the web and whilst there seem to be a number of choices the prices vary widely from a few pounds to a few hundred pounds. So I wondered if any forum members can offer advice on manufacturers. I’d like a model that isn’t too much like a kids toy but I don’t need any of the highly detailed ones.

Thanks in advance.
Here are 1:24 vehicles against 1:20.3 stock :nod::nod:

PICT0004.JPG

tac foley

Registered
11 Apr 2017
Near Huntingdon, UK
Best answers
Country flag
Using false/forced perspective means that you can use a smaller scale vehicle to give an impression of distance to the scene. Those pickups look just fine to me.

ta

greghile

Registered
11 Jun 2017
Martinez, CA
Best answers
Sounds like you have gotten some good advice already, but here's my two cents (or is it pence?) worth. If you are going to build a kit, especially from plastic, take a look at finescale.com and/or its sister publication/website, scaleautomag.com. Building a car model is a bit different from railroading and they will have some good tips and resources, as well as sources for the model itself. I am currently scratchbuilding an early 20th century firehouse for my railroad and just purchased a 1914 Model T fire truck plastic kit to go along with it. Not sure how I'm going to protect it from the elements just yet, but it most likely will stay indoors and just be trotted out on special occasions.

Good luck with it!

dunnyrail

DOGS, Garden Railways, Steam Trains, Jive Dancing,
Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
St.Neots Cambridgeshire UK
Best answers
Country flag
As I mentioned above I'd already been onto eBay and the web ...
Sorry if I sounded a bit flipant, I shud v thought a bit more before my post. Having found quite a few but admittedly in USA via Google and then UK.

Rhinochugger

Retired Oik
27 Oct 2009
North West Norfolk
Best answers
Country flag
As I mentioned above I'd already been onto eBay and the web ...
It's how you search on evilbay. Try........

'1:24 diecast' and then either 'BMW' or 'Z3'

stockers

Trains, aircraft, models, walking, beer, travel
24 Oct 2009
Nr. Ashford, Kent. England.
Best answers
Country flag
Fifteen quid postage - taking the mick or what?