Battery USAT SD70-MAC Railpro

DGE-Railroad

The Orchard Line
26 Jan 2020
United Kingdom
Best answers
Country flag
A bit of a change of pace from the steam conversions I've been tackling lately. Time for some diesel!

Here's my USAT SD70-MAC which had been my first Railpro conversion.
I have to say, plumbing in only one module and then configuring it all in the handset makes for a quick and easy installation

I decided to put a battery in the fuel tank for the time being, as I'll be sharing it between locos inotially, to get an idea of runtime.

As the install was straightforward, I decided to have a bit of fun and animate the top fans.
I did this by creating a chamber beneath them, mounting a 12v blower fan on that and running it through a little voltage regulator.

Here are the conversion pics. There are a few things to finish off - the grab handles need to go back on the front and I need to recomfigure the ditch lights, so want running with those or the cab/number lights.

20200602_220344.jpg
20200602_220353.jpg
20200606_133022.jpg

And here's the test run
SD70-Mac maiden run

Ralphmp

Registered
6 Jan 2010
Herts
Country
England
Best answers
Country flag
Nice touch with the fans - looks very realistic.

LFOCD

Registered
5 Sep 2020
Oceanside, California
Best answers
Country flag
Can I ask where you bought the voltage regulator and fan? and you needed it because you were running a 18 v battery right? If I were running a 14v battery would I need it, or did you use it to cut the speed and blow of the fan down so that the models fans would spin realistically? Nice idea, I am new to all this but I like the idea.

8 Mar 2014
San Diego
Country
Armenia
www.elmassian.com
Best answers
Country flag
There are tons of buck/boost regulators on eBay and Amazon. Very cheap. Having an adjustable regulator lets you pick the speed that gives you the motion. 14v might still spin them too fast. For the few dollars the unit costs, worth it to get what you want.

Greg