Bachmann Baldwin 2-4-2 Battery Conversion

Moonraker

Registered
25 Oct 2009
South Australia
Best answers
Country flag
Just to confirm what others have said about the two wires from the chuff trigger, one goes to the B- (ground) terminal and the other to the F7 terminal, both on the MyLocoSound soundcard.

I run the UK version of that loco on my railway converted to battery radio control. I found that a very convenient place for the on/off switch and charging socket was behind the smokebox door. See photo below.

Regards
Peter Lucas
MyLocoSound

Attachments

• IMG_6031.jpg
    IMG_6031.jpg
    349.2 KB · Views: 0
Reactions: 1 user

JimmyB

Now retired - trains and fishing
23 Feb 2018
Weston-super-Mare
www.tumble-down-falls.co.uk
Best answers
Country flag
your link takes you to a cpanel login... I use Cpanel, very dangerous to allow access there...
Greg, you are correct, I was trying to use the public HTML folder on my website to link these from. I think I need to do a bit more work.

JimmyB

23 Feb 2018
Weston-super-Mare
Best answers
Country flag
Just to confirm what others have said about the two wires from the chuff trigger, one goes to the B- (ground) terminal and the other to the F7 terminal, both on the MyLocoSound soundcard.

I run the UK version of that loco on my railway converted to battery radio control. I found that a very convenient place for the on/off switch and charging socket was behind the smokebox door. See photo below.

Regards
Peter Lucas
MyLocoSound
Peter, that looks very good, and was thinking of something similar, a blank smoke box door would help :)

polaroyd

Registered
25 Oct 2011
South East England
Best answers
Country flag
A few years ago I converted my late model Lyn to battery power, batteries just fitted in the tanks after I removed some plastic and the weights, here's the layout. I used a receiver and motor controller from RCS as that was most convenient at the time. _1163803_1.jpg_1163815_1.jpg_5111147.jpg

JimmyB

23 Feb 2018
Weston-super-Mare
Best answers
Country flag
A few years ago I converted my late model Lyn to battery power, batteries just fitted in the tanks after I removed some plastic and the weights, here's the layout. I used a receiver and motor controller from RCS as that was most convenient at the time.
Mine will be similar, but Li-Ion batteries just in one side.

8 Mar 2014
San Diego
Country
Armenia
www.elmassian.com
Best answers
Country flag
Jimmy, on cpanel, you should be able to give people access to files, but probably only by ftp transfer, not by http.... public_html is usually reserved for something else (web site)...

You might get the free version of dropbox or similar

JimmyB

23 Feb 2018
Weston-super-Mare
Best answers
Country flag
Jimmy, on cpanel, you should be able to give people access to files, but probably only by ftp transfer, not by http.... public_html is usually reserved for something else (web site)...

You might get the free version of dropbox or similar
Greg, I looked at both dropbox and google drive, but I could not find a way to give access to a specific folder/file to every body!!

Fred2179G

Registered
20 Apr 2017
USA
Best answers
Country flag
I could not find a way to give access to a specific folder/file to every body!!
I assume by 'everybody' you mean the participants of the forum, not the whole wide world?

Forums like this usually have a mechanism for uploading any old file and then providing a link to it so anyone else can download it. (I don't know how to do it on this website, but I know MLS and LSC can do that.)
Of course, the file has to be in a format the rest can use, like a PDF.

The Bachmann Lyn 2-4-2T PDF is here:
http://www.bachmanntrains.com/home-usa/dwg/dwgs/LS 2-4-2 (Chassis and Gearbox).pdf
(On the Bachmann page, right click the link and select 'copy link', then come back here and 'inert link'.

JimmyB

23 Feb 2018
Weston-super-Mare
Best answers
Country flag
I assume by 'everybody' you mean the participants of the forum, not the whole wide world?

Forums like this usually have a mechanism for uploading any old file and then providing a link to it so anyone else can download it. (I don't know how to do it on this website, but I know MLS and LSC can do that.)
Of course, the file has to be in a format the rest can use, like a PDF.

The Bachmann Lyn 2-4-2T PDF is here:
http://www.bachmanntrains.com/home-usa/dwg/dwgs/LS 2-4-2 (Chassis and Gearbox).pdf
(On the Bachmann page, right click the link and select 'copy link', then come back here and 'inert link'.
Yes I have all 9 files, however it is for the whole world via my blog, I was using the forum as a guinea pig :)

JimmyB

23 Feb 2018
Weston-super-Mare
Best answers
Country flag
Update, The cab has had some remedial work carried out to repair were is was modified to fit batteries, along with removing the speaker baffle:

Lyn-07.JPG

This will be painted black as in the current prototype.

Also the speaker baffle mounting lug were made from a piece of aluminium angle, and a 40mm speaker (8Ω) sourced from the internet, as this is not as thick as the original a spacer from tube was made:

Lyn-08.JPG

Most of the Americanized parts have been removed, including the smoke box door, just considering what couplings to fit.

Lyn-09.JPG

My blog is now in production, which provides some finer details, and will be updated as work continues:

JimmyB

23 Feb 2018
Weston-super-Mare
Best answers
Country flag
Charging panel sorted in the smoke box, a Mk 1 Lyn smoke box assembly, centre cut out and mounting plate fitted behind.

Lyn-11.JPG

I have a habit on my conversions of making a small circuit board, so that all the various components can be plugged and unplugged, however, rather than fly leads, I find this tidier, this hopefully has captured the various connections between the chassis and the boiler/cab assembly.

Lyn-15.JPG

dunnyrail

DOGS, Garden Railways, Steam Trains, Jive Dancing,
Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
St.Neots Cambridgeshire UK
Best answers
Country flag
Charging panel sorted in the smoke box, a Mk 1 Lyn smoke box assembly, centre cut out and mounting plate fitted behind.

View attachment 311223

I have a habit on my conversions of making a small circuit board, so that all the various components can be plugged and unplugged, however, rather than fly leads, I find this tidier, this hopefully has captured the various connections between the chassis and the boiler/cab assembly.

View attachment 311224
That is a very neat solution Jimmy, looks like I need to up my game some with my battery jobs. I presume the other side must have some leads to the various cards? Guess I should look at your blog as there may be a pic there. I just wish more locomotives would have opening smokebox doors as they do provide the perfect location for charge socket and on/off switch. Of course with some locs the smoker is likely to be in the way, but as I remove those devices not bothering to use them it is not an issue for me.

JimmyB

23 Feb 2018
Weston-super-Mare
Best answers
Country flag
That is a very neat solution Jimmy, looks like I need to up my game some with my battery jobs. I presume the other side must have some leads to the various cards? Guess I should look at your blog as there may be a pic there. I just wish more locomotives would have opening smokebox doors as they do provide the perfect location for charge socket and on/off switch. Of course with some locs the smoker is likely to be in the way, but as I remove those devices not bothering to use them it is not an issue for me.
Jon, the back of the smoke box door has leads to the little circuit board, and to the battery. The circuit board will have all connections via plugs, so no fly leads on it, it means it can be stripped down with out having to de-solder everything, if anything goes wrong. The blog will be updated later today (hopefully :))

Back of the door:

Lyn-12.JPG

PhilP

G Scale, 7/8th's, Electronics
5 Jun 2013
Nottingham
Best answers
Country flag
Great minds :
IMG_20200911_162438.jpg
PhilP

JimmyB

23 Feb 2018
Weston-super-Mare
Best answers
Country flag
A move to the chassis, and I have considered leaving the track power wipers and leads in place (not connected), in case a future owner considers conversion back to track power. Also the top of the motor block has various raised portions so a plastic card bed with packers has been made:
Lyn-17.JPG

Just awaiting the Rx now. The yellow leads are new motor connections and the green and black lead is for the chuff trigger, black to negative, and green the the appropriate MLS connection.

dunnyrail

DOGS, Garden Railways, Steam Trains, Jive Dancing,
Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
St.Neots Cambridgeshire UK
Best answers
Country flag
A move to the chassis, and I have considered leaving the track power wipers and leads in place (not connected), in case a future owner considers conversion back to track power. Also the top of the motor block has various raised portions so a plastic card bed with packers has been made:
View attachment 311296

Just awaiting the Rx now. The yellow leads are new motor connections and the green and black lead is for the chuff trigger, black to negative, and green the the appropriate MLS connection.
I can appreciate the social thoughts of a possible future owner wanting to back track power a loco after your ownership. I think about that as well and carefully bag up the bits with a label. Then forget where they all are! But my long term view is WTH. The other point is that track pickups do have a drag effect, no doubt some clever nut could work it out with the effect on battery run. Good luck with those equations, for my part I still prefer to remove all pickups and associated stuff on my conversions.

I did for a while incorporate a DPDT switch to enable track power as an option, very useful with battery DCC Conversions as you can still do any DCC updates on a Prog track should you require to. My black LGB Mallett is thus fitted with the extra DPDT in the Smokebox.

JimmyB

23 Feb 2018
Weston-super-Mare
Best answers
Country flag
I can appreciate the social thoughts of a possible future owner wanting to back track power a loco after your ownership. I think about that as well and carefully bag up the bits with a label. Then forget where they all are! But my long term view is WTH. The other point is that track pickups do have a drag effect, no doubt some clever nut could work it out with the effect on battery run. Good luck with those equations, for my part I still prefer to remove all pickups and associated stuff on my conversions.

I did for a while incorporate a DPDT switch to enable track power as an option, very useful with battery DCC Conversions as you can still do any DCC updates on a Prog track should you require to. My black LGB Mallett is thus fitted with the extra DPDT in the Smokebox.
Jon, I too have a couple of conversion with DPDT switched, specifically the "toy" Otto and Porter, which have trailing car power.

JimmyB

23 Feb 2018
Weston-super-Mare
Best answers
Country flag
The conversion from Americanized the Lyn, and to battery continues. This is the rear of the cab that had been modified, rear wall and rear windows replaced including bars, painted black, and the correct lamp in the correct place:

DSC_0150.JPG

At the front end, the holes from the American items filled, gun metal sprayed black and correct pattern lamp added.

DSC_0149.JPG