Bachmann Baldwin 2-4-2 Battery Conversion

JimmyB

Now retired - trains and fishing
23 Feb 2018
Weston-super-Mare
www.tumble-down-falls.co.uk
Best answers
Country flag
This will my thread on my journey in converting my Bachmann Baldwin 2-4-2 to RC battery power, however the fine details of the work will be documented in my blog as the work progresses:

This is the loco that was bought, the newer version with metal running gear and metal gearing, however it is the Americanized version of the Lyn, so I will also be looking to Anglicise it.

DSC_0117.jpg

The previous owner converted it to battery, and then converted it back to track power to sell, my conversion will take a different route, and therefore will also include "undoing" some of his work.

JimmyB

23 Feb 2018
Weston-super-Mare
Best answers
Country flag
My first question is reference chuff trigger, I believe I have identified the connection for the trigger (circled in blue) and will need to attached leads to these. I will be using a MLS for my sound, and my assumption is that one of the leads would the negative power lead, with the other lead going to the appropriate connection on the MLS (setting adjusted accordingly). However, as my assumptions are not always correct, please can somebody advise, many thanks.

DSC_0129.JPG

Last edited:

PhilP

G Scale, 7/8th's, Electronics
5 Jun 2013
Nottingham
Best answers
Country flag
Awaiting image?

PhilP

PhilP

5 Jun 2013
Nottingham
Best answers
Country flag
Re: Chuff-trigger
Your assumptions (should be) correct..
Those to contacts should be isolated from everything else, and can be used for 'chuff'. I have found that the contacts can 'bounce' a little, but seem to get better with more use. :wondering:

Just put the occasional double-chuff, down to wheel-slip!
:D

PhilP

JimmyB

23 Feb 2018
Weston-super-Mare
Best answers
Country flag
I'd remove them to solder wires, then re-attach. Both are isolated already so it matters not which is connected to what.
Yep, removed to solder the wires, though I assume you mean between the neutral and the MLS trigger. :)

ge_rik

British narrow gauge (esp. Southwold and W&LLR)
24 Oct 2009
Cheshire
www.riksrailway.blogspot.com
Best answers
Country flag
Yep, removed to solder the wires, though I assume you mean between the neutral and the MLS trigger. :)
That's right. Neg through the contacts to the cam input

Rik

8 Mar 2014
San Diego
Country
Armenia
www.elmassian.com
Best answers
Country flag
yeah, MLS wire wants to be pulled to ground, one contact to ground/minus and the other to the mls chuff "input".

I avoid using the term "neutral", which often get's translated to "common", and in DCC common is positive voltage.

(I know this is not DCC)

Greg

Paul M

Registered
25 Oct 2016
Royston
Best answers
Country flag
My first question is reference chuff trigger, I believe I have identified the connection for the trigger (circled in blue) and will need to attached leads to these. I will be using a MLS for my sound, and my assumption is that one of the leads would the negative power lead, with the other lead going to the appropriate connection on the MLS (setting adjusted accordingly). However, as my assumptions are not always correct, please can somebody advise, many thanks.

View attachment 310931
Hoping, eventually, to do this to mine. Will be following with interest

JimmyB

23 Feb 2018
Weston-super-Mare
Best answers
Country flag
yeah, MLS wire wants to be pulled to ground, one contact to ground/minus and the other to the mls chuff "input".

I avoid using the term "neutral", which often get's translated to "common", and in DCC common is positive voltage.

(I know this is not DCC)

Greg
Greg, yes, I should have used negative, which in my case will be correct. :)

ge_rik

British narrow gauge (esp. Southwold and W&LLR)
24 Oct 2009
Cheshire
www.riksrailway.blogspot.com
Best answers
Country flag

JimmyB

23 Feb 2018
Weston-super-Mare
Best answers
Country flag
Hi Paul
If you (or anyone else) has a Lyn with the older motor block, I've blogged my conversion here

Rik
Rik having owned the older model, the parts look very similar, however, disassembly is quite different.

PhilP

5 Jun 2013
Nottingham
Best answers
Country flag
Rik having owned the older model, the parts look very similar, however, disassembly is quite different.
Very 'chalk and cheese'.
The later model is very much improved, on the older one.

I have a rather tatty, old one.
I suppose I ought to think about doing something with it? - I wonder how close I could get it, to the one going to Wales, later in the year?

PhilP

PhilP

5 Jun 2013
Nottingham
Best answers
Country flag
It opens a link to my webmail login. :wondering:

On an Android Smartie-Phone.

PhilP