Bachmann Spectrum Porter Side Tank 0-4-0

davecar

Registered
23 Jun 2010
Liverpool
Best answers
Hi all,

I am still looking for a loco to buy and the Spectrum Porter Side tank is available at £110/115 depending on the model.

Does anyone have any experience of this loco?

I notice that it has knuckle couplings which might be hard to convert and the coupling looks very low and I wondered if it would connect to rolling stock OK.

Any information gratefully received.

Kind regards,

Dave

garrymartin

My Family,Railways, Beer and the Seaside
30 Oct 2009
Now Derbyshire !
Best answers
Country flag
Yes I have 2 , 1 saddle tank version , 1 standard. They are fussy runners if the track is not clean , & yes you need to raise the height of the couplers to get them to attach to lgb, or most other stock . I used a rubber washer as a spacer which seemed to work OK using only a hook the latch part of the coupling dragged on the track causing all sorts of problems. I left the knuckle couplers on the front as lgb ones would have looked odd. Would I buy them again , probably .Despite being U.S loco's they look well in most settings I feel.
Cheers Garry

Wobbleboxer

Registered
27 Oct 2009
Northants, UK
Best answers
Country flag
I've got one, the Ely Thomas saddle version. I wouldn't say the track has to be expecially clean, just 'normal' clean and it runs fine. It comes with a quartered front axle if you want to add motion driven sound, I added a sound module from a Big Hauler.

I don't have any problems with couplings, but then I use use mainly Bachmann stock with knuckles.