Bachmann 2-4-2 Driving Wheel Set - Gear Split

G Too

Registered
25 Feb 2020
Scotland
Best answers
Country flag
Great, got the idea. Bit late at night here to try that now!

Last edited:
8 Mar 2014
San Diego
Country
Armenia
www.elmassian.com
Best answers
Country flag
I just got hold of an exploded parts diagram, but it shows the axle as a split axle, 2 halves connecting to the center gear, which is much larger, so apparently there is more than one version.

It matches the link I posted before where the axle was broken in two.

Hard to find information on this loco.

I can email the parts diagram if requested, and there are a few parts on the bachmann site, but they do not have the driven axle, only the axle with the chuff cam.

Greg

Last edited:

Fred2179G

Registered
20 Apr 2017
USA
Best answers
Country flag
I just got hold of an exploded parts diagram, but it shows the axle as a split axle, 2 halves connecting to the center gear, which is much larger, so apparently there is more than one version.
Greg, that sounds like the 2-4-2T tank engine, "Lyn" and the black version, which I also took apart once. They have a split axle. The original Columbia tender engine does not.
Check out the photos that "G Too" posted and compare them with mine in the subsequent posts.

8 Mar 2014
San Diego
Country
Armenia
www.elmassian.com
Best answers
Country flag
Nope, not the tank engine... the "columbia" type, posting here in lower resolution.. I might be mistaken once but have been reseaching, Dave Goodson opened his box today, took out this document and scanned. This document obviously matches the loco Dave has in his possession, and matches the link provided before. So again, it appears there is more than one version of this loco, and yes, I understand that the one here in question has a different driven axle.
i have noted on my site there appears to be more than one version.

2-4-2_800x600.JPG

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user

Fred2179G

Registered
20 Apr 2017
USA
Best answers
Country flag
So again, it appears there is more than one version of this loco, and yes, I understand that the one here in question has a different driven axle.
Interesting. And I'm sure there's a third version of the axle on the later chassis with the brass gears!

8 Mar 2014
San Diego
Country
Armenia
www.elmassian.com
Best answers
Country flag
I have not seen that (3rd version), and because this has been out of production for some time, I would be skeptical as to it's existance. Likewise, I've never seen the single, solid axle you show for the Columbia, and unfortunately, it is not listed in the spare parts, so no way to see, but this is all I can find, TOC and I spent some time researchiing.

Pete, if you ever find an exploded parts diagram for the axle type you show, I'd love to get it. Also, anyone that wants a high resolution copy of the diagram I show above, just email me..

Greg

Fred2179G

Registered
20 Apr 2017
USA
Best answers
Country flag
Greg,
There's a discussion of the various versions and dates here:
Bachmann Forum

And the parts store lists the latest chassis with a photo:

2-4-2-CH-OLD.JPG

You will note the motor is upright, unlike the early versions where it is horizontal. No idea why.

8 Mar 2014
San Diego
Country
Armenia
www.elmassian.com
Best answers
Country flag
Yes, I saw that, but notice the part number: 242-CH-OLD

Makes me think the vertical motor show is the original/older , and the horizontal motor, which matches what TOC has new in the box, is newer.

I think this is also similar to the 2-4-2T loco the Lyn and it's variants that had both motor orientations over time.

sure wish I had the part numbers and corresponding pix for the driving axles.. i notice that there is a driver with a brass gear for the 2-4-2T / Lyn, which looks a lot like your picture above.

In any case, I've more research to do.

Greg

Fred2179G

Registered
20 Apr 2017
USA
Best answers
Country flag
It might be worth you enquiring of Bachmann Europe? - Shipping, and other costs, will be a killer from the US.. :(

PhilP.
For a gear that size? You guys do have a hard time. :shake:

And all you will get from Bachmann is another gear that will split. However, they don't list that part on the US spares website so I doubt they will be able to help.

PhilP

G Scale, 7/8th's, Electronics
5 Jun 2013
Nottingham
Best answers
Country flag
Anything over about £18.00 ($20-22 -ish) will attract tax, on both the declared value of the item, and the postage, at about 20%..

Oh! AND the £15.00 fee for collecting the revenue and passing to the Government.

Fred2179G

Registered
20 Apr 2017
USA
Best answers
Country flag
Sheesh. Here's what Jerry sent me when I asked about this 2-4-2 gear:

I do have the gear, has a pin hole on one side, not sure if yours has any, but not s mast to use it.
$15 each plus $4 shipping, if you buy 4 gears and up, free shipping.
My PayPal name is my email address, girotek@rcn.com

I haven't experienced any minimum quantity requirement. He's not a big commercial operation and is very helpful. I'm sure if you told him about the 18 GBP tax issue he will sell you 1 for $15 and ship it to the UK.

8 Mar 2014
San Diego
Country
Armenia
www.elmassian.com
Best answers
Country flag
OK, that is a better price per gear, but are you sure he will sell just one gear... my information is from another customer and the minimum order was 3 gears.

In any case, this might be the only option...

Greg

Fred2179G

Registered
20 Apr 2017
USA
Best answers
Country flag
Greg, all you have to do is send him an email and ask . . .

PhilP

G Scale, 7/8th's, Electronics
5 Jun 2013
Nottingham
Best answers
Country flag
Gentlemen:
Is this a common problem with ALL the Bachmann loco's? - Or is it if they are 'of an age'?
This seems to come up again, and again??

Which Bachmann loco's will this gear fit? - Sorry, I am not a Bachmann officiando. :(

Just thinking:
I could possibly buy a bunch, and hold stock here in the UK?

PhilP.