trammayo

Interested in vintage commercial vehicle, trams, t
24 Oct 2009
Co. Mayo
Country
Ireland
Best answers
Country flag
These days, it seems there are lots of people selling used Big Haulers or Annies. I don't sell anything but I do buy - mainly from that "bay"!. A few weeks ago I purchased a loco after asking the seller for photos of the wheels. He obliged and I scrutinised! They weren't badly worn (the wheel treads) so I decided to buy it.

Living in the Republic often means high postage charges so I get stuff delivered to my son's home. He notifies me upon the arrival of a purchase and takes a look to see if it as survived the journey from the mainland. It took a few days before we were able to collect it so I left positive feedback for the seller based on a visual appraisal. As events turned out, I should not have jumped the gun!

All Blues - testing (5).JPG
The loco on test a few days after collection.

It ran very slowly so I thought it might be the track. I transferred it to the trailer layout and there was no improvement. So, I thought, maybe the wheels need a clean. I use multisurface kitchen wipes or meths applied with a cotton bud stick - and it was the former I used on this loco. I use a couple of narrow boxes (joined lengthways) to cradle the upturned loco and then apply power to the pony truck. It didn't go any faster, the wheels were not really all that dirty but I did notice the rear wheels were out of gauge!

They pushed back quite easily so I guessed the problem was the combined gear wheel cum axle joiner. I messaged the seller to inform him of the problem and to ask for his comments. As you might guess, there was no reply. He'd got nearly 200 smackers, plus a positive Feedback, from me. All I ended up with was a loco that was useless at that moment and I was outside the fourteen days limit to start a Return.

So yesterday I decided to look at the problem. As with all the various BH's, there are many differences with the drive units and gear trains - one size does not fit all!

Blue Loco repairs (3).JPG
On the first, Radio Control, models the base plate is completely flat. On this, there is a molding to accommodate the large dia gear wheel. Later models had a different gear train and a hole for lubricating purposes (blanked off with rubber bung).

It's a nuisance that the base plate extends right to the front of the loco, so you have to remove the cow catcher/front beam etc. Anyway, that's the way it is. So off it came - as picture below...
Blue Loco repairs (4).JPG
As the assembly looked - the ends of the integrally moulded gear/axxle connector look a lttle larger than they should be.

So it was dead easy to pull the wheels with their stub axles out and just pick the gear out. A quick wipe over to remove the lubricant, and it was examination in detail time!

Blue Loco repairs (5).JPG

The other side ......Blue Loco repairs (6).JPG

and the bosses....Blue Loco repairs (7).JPG

So. six cracks (no wise-cracks). I forgot to take a pic of the stub axles but, basically (from the wheel end), there is an hexagonal followed by a square profile. The cracks allowed the hex portion to wobble a little which in turn allowed some movement of squared portion.

So I used a method I had found useful before - 10mm Microbore copper tube. The tube has a nominal bore of around 8.5mm and I had to bore it out to 9mm. This latter measurement was what the outside diameter of the bossed should be. After cutting off two rings and cleaning up the same, I laid one on the bench and started to locate the nylon assembly. The vice was better at that so, with a start made, I put the other ring in the right place and squeezed up - making sure that the rings stayed in alignment.

Once the rings were pressed on, I placed the repaired assembly back in the loco. It was then time to put the wheels in their place. I made sure the motion alignment was the same as before and located the wheels. The rings had done the job and I had to use a clamp to drive them back in position (I don't have any strength of grip).

All back in place ...
Blue Loco repairs (8).JPG

All that was required now was to check the back to back (just under 40mm according to the digital very-nears), lubricate the worm wheel and reassemble the cover and front bits - oh and a practicle test!

.... and the practicle test .....
Blue Loco repairs (11).JPG

Phew! It worked fine:sweating:

Reactions: 3 users

maxi-model

UK/US/ROW steam narrow gauge railways 1:1
27 Oct 2009
Bucks/Oxon/Northants area
Best answers
Country flag
Nice bit of thinking there Mick, great fix tip. With a well worn loco like that would opening up the motor "can" to inspect and clean the commutator and check the brushes help as well ? Get the engine magnets re-energized or replaced ? Standard practice when fixing old slot cars (e.g. Scalextric). Max

Reactions: 1 user

Rhinochugger

Retired Oik
27 Oct 2009
North West Norfolk
Best answers
Country flag
These days, it seems there are lots of people selling used Big Haulers or Annies. I don't sell anything but I do buy - mainly from that "bay"!. A few weeks ago I purchased a loco after asking the seller for photos of the wheels. He obliged and I scrutinised! They weren't badly worn (the wheel treads) so I decided to buy it.

Living in the Republic often means high postage charges so I get stuff delivered to my son's home. He notifies me upon the arrival of a purchase and takes a look to see if it as survived the journey from the mainland. It took a few days before we were able to collect it so I left positive feedback for the seller based on a visual appraisal. As events turned out, I should not have jumped the gun!

View attachment 243961
The loco on test a few days after collection.

It ran very slowly so I thought it might be the track. I transferred it to the trailer layout and there was no improvement. So, I thought, maybe the wheels need a clean. I use multisurface kitchen wipes or meths applied with a cotton bud stick - and it was the former I used on this loco. I use a couple of narrow boxes (joined lengthways) to cradle the upturned loco and then apply power to the pony truck. It didn't go any faster, the wheels were not really all that dirty but I did notice the rear wheels were out of gauge!

They pushed back quite easily so I guessed the problem was the combined gear wheel cum axle joiner. I messaged the seller to inform him of the problem and to ask for his comments. As you might guess, there was no reply. He'd got nearly 200 smackers, plus a positive Feedback, from me. All I ended up with was a loco that was useless at that moment and I was outside the fourteen days limit to start a Return.

So yesterday I decided to look at the problem. As with all the various BH's, there are many differences with the drive units and gear trains - one size does not fit all!

View attachment 243962
On the first, Radio Control, models the base plate is completely flat. On this, there is a molding to accommodate the large dia gear wheel. Later models had a different gear train and a hole for lubricating purposes (blanked off with rubber bung).

It's a nuisance that the base plate extends right to the front of the loco, so you have to remove the cow catcher/front beam etc. Anyway, that's the way it is. So off it came - as picture below...
View attachment 243963
As the assembly looked - the ends of the integrally moulded gear/axxle connector look a lttle larger than they should be.

So it was dead easy to pull the wheels with their stub axles out and just pick the gear out. A quick wipe over to remove the lubricant, and it was examination in detail time!

View attachment 243966

The other side ......View attachment 243967

and the bosses....View attachment 243968

So. six cracks (no wise-cracks). I forgot to take a pic of the stub axles but, basically (from the wheel end), there is an hexagonal followed by a square profile. The cracks allowed the hex portion to wobble a little which in turn allowed some movement of squared portion.

So I used a method I had found useful before - 10mm Microbore copper tube. The tube has a nominal bore of around 8.5mm and I had to bore it out to 9mm. This latter measurement was what the outside diameter of the bossed should be. After cutting off two rings and cleaning up the same, I laid one on the bench and started to locate the nylon assembly. The vice was better at that so, with a start made, I put the other ring in the right place and squeezed up - making sure that the rings stayed in alignment.

Once the rings were pressed on, I placed the repaired assembly back in the loco. It was then time to put the wheels in their place. I made sure the motion alignment was the same as before and located the wheels. The rings had done the job and I had to use a clamp to drive them back in position (I don't have any strength of grip).

All back in place ...
View attachment 243969

All that was required now was to check the back to back (just under 40mm according to the digital very-nears), lubricate the worm wheel and reassemble the cover and front bits - oh and a practicle test!

.... and the practicle test .....
View attachment 243970

Phew! It worked fine:sweating:
MMm, I tried something like that on the motor block for my MDC Hustler - unfortunately I wasn't quite as neat as you have been :oops::oops::oops:

Then, when I found the motor block took virtually all of the space under the bonnet (which would be where the batteries could go) I consigned it to the spares department :hi::hi:

beavercreek

Travel, Art, Theatre, Music, Photography, Trains
24 Oct 2009
Colchester, United Kingdom
www.facebook.com
Best answers
Country flag
Well done Mick... up to the quality of your usual great make-do renovations. :clap:

ebay mike

Retired, but still hoarding. (GOF)
6 Dec 2011
Norfolk - edge of nowhere.
Best answers
Country flag
Mick, did you get the coaches as well for the £200 ? I've two BH's (with the Annie metal valve gear chassis) amongst my surplus stock if you want any more. Nice repair job by the way. I think I've got a couple of 2-4-2's that need some attention to the gearwheels.

Rhinochugger

Retired Oik
27 Oct 2009
North West Norfolk
Best answers
Country flag
Mick, did you get the coaches as well for the £200 ? I've two BH's (with the Annie metal valve gear chassis) amongst my surplus stock if you want any more. Nice repair job by the way. I think I've got a couple of 2-4-2's that need some attention to the gearwheels.
Trouble with the 2-4-2 Columbias is also traction, I believe :think::think::think::think: or rather lack of it :oops::oops:

ebay mike

Retired, but still hoarding. (GOF)
6 Dec 2011
Norfolk - edge of nowhere.
Best answers
Country flag
Trouble with the 2-4-2 Columbias is also traction, I believe :think::think::think::think: or rather lack of it :oops::oops:
Yup. Lack of traction - that's exactly what you get when the gear wheel splits :giggle::giggle:.

trammayo

24 Oct 2009
Co. Mayo
Country
Ireland
Best answers
Country flag

No - just the loco! Visual condition is virtually "as new" - but as I have learnt, you'can't judge a book by it's cover:banghead::banghead:

I'll bear in mind your Annies though!

trammayo

24 Oct 2009
Co. Mayo
Country
Ireland
Best answers
Country flag
Nice bit of thinking there Mick, great fix tip. With a well worn loco like that would opening up the motor "can" to inspect and clean the commutator and check the brushes help as well ? Get the engine magnets re-energized or replaced ? Standard practice when fixing old slot cars (e.g. Scalextric). Max

MMm, I tried something like that on the motor block for my MDC Hustler - unfortunately I wasn't quite as neat as you have been :oops::oops::oops:
Then, when I found the motor block took virtually all of the space under the bonnet (which would be where the batteries could go) I consigned it to the spares department :hi::hi:

I wondered about the motor but I couldn't be bothered to go that far! Last resort for me at the moment - haven't the mental or physical energy.

Rhinochugger

Retired Oik
27 Oct 2009
North West Norfolk
Best answers
Country flag
I wondered about the motor but I couldn't be bothered to go that far! Last resort for me at the moment - haven't the mental or physical energy.
The Bachmann motors are pretty tough, and have remarkably low current draw. I have an early bug-mauler motor in that diesel wot I have been modifying - again :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

gnm109

Registered
27 Apr 2014
Sacramento County, California
Visit site
Best answers
Nice repair. That's something that I doubt the seller could have known, however. The repair that you did is standard procedure on USA Trains locomotives. I had to do my GP7/9 the first week that I bought it new. Neither the store where I bought it or the manufacturer were interested in helping me. So, I used my lathe and turned 8 sleeves which I installed. The wheels were then straight and true. This is a very common problem, not limited to Bachmann.

Happy Trails.

LVT

Analogue automated LGB Euro on 4 loops
24 Oct 2009
Near Atlantic City NJ USA
Best answers
Country flag
Nice repair. That's something that I doubt the seller could have known, however. The repair that you did is standard procedure on USA Trains locomotives. I had to do my GP7/9 the first week that I bought it new. Neither the store where I bought it or the manufacturer were interested in helping me. So, I used my lathe and turned 8 sleeves which I installed. The wheels were then straight and true. This is a very common problem, not limited to Bachmann.

Happy Trails.
Can’t help wondering how many would-be model railroaders were turned off by the use of inadequate plastic for these crucial parts by these major manufacturers who obviously invested much in the detail and design of their products. The problem extended to Bachmann’s N scale as well.