Bachmann 2-4-2 Driving Wheel Set - Gear Split

G Too

Registered
25 Feb 2020
Scotland
Best answers
Country flag
Hi Folks

I am in the process of repairing (where possible) and selling a relative's collection and next up on the bench is a No.19 Union Pacific Baldwin.

This has the usual problem of a split gear on the driving axle.

In the first instance, I'd like to get a wheel off the axle. The wheels don't appear to be screwed on. Do these pull off?

And any suggestions for a source of gear would also be welcome. Looks like 16 teeth, OD c.14.4 mm.

thanks in advance

Last edited:

maxi-model

UK/US/ROW steam narrow gauge railways 1:1
27 Oct 2009
Bucks/Oxon/Northants area
Best answers
Country flag
I think the black wheel webs are plastic inserts. Use a fine blade to lever them out and you should find the wheel retaining screws underneath. That is how they are done on the Bachmann 10 wheeler Big Hauler/Annie. Max

G Too

Registered
25 Feb 2020
Scotland
Best answers
Country flag
Thanks, it does look as if the whole of the black wheel web might come out, but it's very tight with no slack, so I can't budge it! And can't get a blade in anywhere to get leverage either. Might try gently heating a wheel next.

FatherMcD

Registered
13 Mar 2014
Idaho
Country
United-States
Best answers
Country flag
Try pushing out from behind the counterweight. Works on the Annie wheels.

maxi-model

UK/US/ROW steam narrow gauge railways 1:1
27 Oct 2009
Bucks/Oxon/Northants area
Best answers
Country flag
Give it a squirt of WD40 or some penetrating oil. I use a very small flat bladed screwdriver and use it to prise the plastic wheel embellisher off. Use the embellishers spokes spokes not the wheel rim. Yes, you may put a little mark in the plastic but it will barely notice when you put it back together.

If you need a source for the gearwheel you may be able to get one from Bachmann. If they cannot help then NorthWest Short Line should be able to provide a delrin replacement to fit to the existing splined axle. Max

PhilP

G Scale, 7/8th's, Electronics
5 Jun 2013
Nottingham
Best answers
Country flag
As this is a known problem, with known fixes..

i would advertise the loco 'as is' with an honest description of the fault..
Yes, you will get less for it, but you may well not get a decent return on the cost of the spares, your time, and any damage done to the model?

Just a thought..

Fred2179G

Registered
20 Apr 2017
USA
Best answers
Country flag
The wheels don't appear to be screwed on. Do these pull off?
I just fixed one of the old Bachmann 2-4-2 locos with a split gear. (The original ones have the motor horizontal - new ones with metal gears are vertical motors. Pics on the B'mann Parts website.) Here's how I did it.

The wheels pull off - they don't have screws like the 4-6-0. I started trying to push the wheel inserts off and gave up when a spoke broke. Take the axle out of the chassis, and mark both the axle and wheels so you know where they were before you remove them (paint marker or tape - not easy to do.) Open your vice wide enough to support the outsides of one wheel with the gear in the vice, put a pair of pliers or similar flat on the bottom wheel and lightly tap it to slide it off the axle.
Unfortunately they are not quartered like the 4-6-0, so getting the wheel back in the right place is trial-and-error. Hopefully your marks will help. When you put it back on the axle (tap it gently while the wheel and axle are upright) and put it back in the chassis, the rods should run freely. If it binds, it ain't exactly 90 degrees apart from one side to the other. I found I could pull the wheel off and replace it without removing it from the chassis again - doesn't bode well for longevity.

Jerry Yeramian makes delrin gears, and he has the 16-tooth you need.
(Mr Gear Man) Jerry Yeramian says:
I do have the gear, has a pin hole on one side, not sure if yours has any, but not s must to use it.
$15 each plus $4 shipping, if you buy 4 gears and up, free shipping.
My PayPal name is my email address,
girotek@rcn.com
Jerry is quite active on Facebook. Email him and he'll work out how to get you the gear.
They are very easy to swap.

• Love
Reactions: 1 user

Fred2179G

Registered
20 Apr 2017
USA
Best answers
Country flag
I missed where it said Baldwin in the beginning, I believe it is what is called the "Columbia", thanks Max
Actually the Bachmann 2-4-2T "Lyn" and its all-black counterpart are Baldwins. >:)

But it's the Columbia tender engine that always splits its gears. And being a UK group, I assumed the OP knew to call it a 2-4-2T if it was a tank engine :D

8 Mar 2014
San Diego
Country
Armenia
www.elmassian.com
Best answers
Country flag
Now you have me confused ha ha! I see why we call it a Columbia and not a Baldwin.

But there's a motor in the tender? Or you just mean the 2-4-2 that has a tender?

I'm on the bachmann site looking "Columbia" 2-4-2 diagrams, but I guess it's so old not there.

G Too

Registered
25 Feb 2020
Scotland
Best answers
Country flag
The loco I posted about looks to be Bachmann part number 91101; matches maxi-model's link
I had thought that it was a Baldwin, sorry about that.
There is no motor in the tender which has two four-wheel bogies
I failed to remove the driving wheel plastic hub inserts and gave up before risking breakage.
I have also failed to pull the wheels apart.

Last edited:
8 Mar 2014
San Diego
Country
Armenia
www.elmassian.com
Best answers
Country flag
I have found a friend that has one of these brand new in the box. He's going to take a look at it and see how it comes apart. He thinks that there's no screws, wheels just push on, but he will investigate.

columbia.jpg

This loco and it's parts diagram are not on the Bachmann site, so I would also guess no way to get parts, but let's see what my friend finds out, he's an expert on Bachmann mechanicals (TOC).

Greg

G Too

Registered
25 Feb 2020
Scotland
Best answers
Country flag
Thanks, Greg. I'll have another look as well. There appears to be small plastic inserts between the axle and the wheel - perhaps like in the OO gauge locos of my youth one the side that had the electrical insulation.

8 Mar 2014
San Diego
Country
Armenia
www.elmassian.com
Best answers
Country flag
Does your gearbox look like this?

Pretty old loco...

G Too

Registered
25 Feb 2020
Scotland
Best answers
Country flag
Nope, does not match the photo in the above link.

I dismantled this again and attach photos.

I slid the gear along the axle a bit to show how the gear was intended to mate to the axle.
It's this gear that's split.

2-4-2 Drivers.JPG

This picture show the gears

2-4-2 Gearbox.JPG

Fred2179G

Registered
20 Apr 2017
USA
Best answers
Country flag
Yep, that's the same as the one I fixed.

20200218_144105-split-gear-axle.jpg

Here's the gear I got from Jerry:

Jiros-16tooth-gears.jpg

Fred2179G

Registered
20 Apr 2017
USA
Best answers
Country flag
There appears to be small plastic inserts between the axle and the wheel
Yes, they insulate the wheels as their are pickups sprung against the backs. DIdn't I see a post somewhere about D ends on the axles? These don't have any.

To repeat my suggestion from the earlier post . . . To remove the wheel from the axle, you open a vice or similar open jaw device, rest one of the wheels in it so the axle is hanging down, with equal support on either side. Then put a pair of pliers or similar open jaw (so the pressure is equal on opposite sides of the wheel,) on the bottom wheel and tap the pliers down with a small hammer or similar weight.
I'll get you a picture . . .

20200404_171228_2-4-2-wheel-remove.jpg

This is not the Columbia axle - it's a standard B'mann axle. But you see the trick - just tap the pliers and the wheel will slide off. Don't worry about hurting it - it's only a nylon sleeve in the wheel.

Just noticed - you've got the chuff trigger on the front axle. Mine was older than that! Here's a pic of the engine I fixed. I have a video if anyone wants to see it run with the new gear.

20200226_114417-circus040.jpg

Last edited: