Baby Crocodile

TonyMP52

Registered
25 Feb 2018
Faversham
Best answers
Country flag
Following on from my conversion of an LGB 2045 RhB 2/4 box cab electric into a diesel loco in December 2021 I have just finished a follow-up, this time a crocodile chop. I'd bought a wreck of an LGB 2040 RhB 6/6 crocodile last year and decided to use it as a basis for a freelance loco. A summary of the conversion: -
  • The centre body section has had bulkheads made from plastic sheet fitted where the original bonnets recessed into the cab
  • LGB motorised tender underframes have been used for the new bogies with 4BA screws as pivots
  • A frame from 3mm mild steel has been made with cut-outs to accomodate the motor housings on the bogies and to mount the body and new bonnets on
  • Bonnets from the LGB Schoema diesel loco have been used as the new shorty bonnets
  • A piece of aluminium bar has been used as a spine within the loco body connecting the two bogies - a bit like old Hornby Dublo locos
  • The roof has been shortened and one pantograph relocated inwards - the second pantograph was discarded.
  • Three air reservoirs have been fitted to the roof
It lacks cab floors so is as popular with Drivers because of draughty cabs as it's predecessor!

Baby Croc.jpg

• Love
Reactions: 2 users

tramwayknowledge

Tramway Modelling
22 Oct 2011
Fife
Best answers
Country flag
Following on from my conversion of an LGB 2045 RhB 2/4 box cab electric into a diesel loco in December 2021 I have just finished a follow-up, this time a crocodile chop. I'd bought a wreck of an LGB 2040 RhB 6/6 crocodile last year and decided to use it as a basis for a freelance loco. A summary of the conversion: -
  • The centre body section has had bulkheads made from plastic sheet fitted where the original bonnets recessed into the cab
  • LGB motorised tender underframes have been used for the new bogies with 4BA screws as pivots
  • A frame from 3mm mild steel has been made with cut-outs to accomodate the motor housings on the bogies and to mount the body and new bonnets on
  • Bonnets from the LGB Schoema diesel loco have been used as the new shorty bonnets
  • A piece of aluminium bar has been used as a spine within the loco body connecting the two bogies - a bit like old Hornby Dublo locos
  • The roof has been shortened and one pantograph relocated inwards - the second pantograph was discarded.
It lacks cab floors so is as popular with Drivers because of draughty cabs as it's predecessor!

View attachment 326456
Looks rather handsome. I have always liked small, narrow gauge e-loks. Ihave a pair of 'whizzy cranks motor bogies tucked away to form the basis of a small e-lok, but my 'To Do' list is about 20 projects long....

viaEstrecha

Spanish metre gauge in G scale (on the cheap)
25 Oct 2009
Bedfordshire
Country
United-Kingdom
Best answers
Country flag
Like it a lot and it reminds me of the 'Baby Crocs' which were made for Basque railways, and which were in service for 70-odd years:
IMG_1425 (Medium).JPG

dunnyrail

DOGS, Garden Railways, Steam Trains, Jive Dancing,
Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
St.Neots Cambridgeshire UK
Best answers
Country flag

View attachment 326456
How superb, what a brilliant bash. That would have made a superb Yard pilot at Millisee on the Ruschbahn. We did get a GRS centre cab lok for the job after I noticed one in the shop at Princess Risborough. Seen below on my old line at Hemel before delivery and painting in RB Brown.
P1020885_2.jpeg

Madman

Registered
25 Oct 2009
Pennsylvania, USA
Best answers
Country flag
TONYMP52, what a unique piece of work. The thoughtful use of parts from other LGB locos and the engineering you put into the model should be commended.

Paul M

Registered
25 Oct 2016
Royston
Best answers
Country flag

View attachment 326456
I would like one, for sure